Need good all around speakers HT/Music please take a look.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ben hunt, Jun 18, 2002.

1. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ok since I've decided on what sub (SVS pci size undetermined)and receiver (Denon 3802) I'm getting I need to figure which speakers I wanna go with.

Here is my budget
    5-600pr front MAX
    300 or so for the center MAX
    400 for rear MAX

or any combination for that money (1300$)

The problem is this, I want a versatile set of speakers. I love movies as they should be seen with excellent sound but I've also always loved music. My wife cares more about music. I'd have to split it 60/40 music to movies but prefer a 50/50.

I've been thinking about these brands.

Axiom - still looking for somewhere in the area to listen to some
    Energy - same as above
    B & W - listened to some today...I liked what I heard from the music but didn't hear and movie audio.
    Paradigm - still need to find some to listen to.

I am also debating on whether to go with tower or bookshelf speakers. I prefer the towers for the fronts and smaller mountables for the back.

Any help would be appreciated. I know I need to take a listen to all of them before i ever make a decision but was thinking some of you may have some insight.

Thanks

ben

2. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

i would include psb alphas in your list, I think the towers go for 500, center for 250 along with the bookselves for rears, or some image series bookselves, I compared the paradigm monitors and studios to the psbs along with b&w 603's, only had limited time with the psb alphas with movies, but they sounded a little better then the monitors

fyi, I ended up with a pair of psb image 6t towers

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

If you like Norh, you could probably get one heluva system going here. For 1300, you could do:
    Norh SM 6.9 Main Used ~700
    Norh 4.0 Marble Center Used ~275 (if you can find it)
    Norh 4.0 Rear Used ~300
    For a total of $1275. For this moeny, you would probably have to spend twice as much for the same quality of sound. But if you hate the look of Norhs, then disregard what I just posted and go for some Paradigms or B&W's. Or even Divas

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The Swan Diva 4.1 video package is within reach for you. Another possibility, if indeed you like the nOrh looks, is to have marble 4.0 fronts and ceramic 4.0 rears (may want to check with Michael Barnes). May be able to get it for $1,300. If auditioning is a must, perhaps look into other brands such as Def Tech, PSB, and NHT.

5. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Will you be adding a sub to your system? and is that included in your budget figure?

The B&W 600 series is probably right in your price range. Consider 602's for mains LCR 60 center, 601's for rears. You will probably need to add a sub though, particularly for movies.

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Might also want to listen to some Klipsch Legend-10's or RF-3ii's. Both do well at music & HT. Prices should be right around your budget. If willing to try ebay you can probably go up a model size as I just picked up a pair of KLF-20's for $500 & they were local.

Speaker buying can be QUITE an undertaking to say the least. Consider what is suggested buy let YOUR ears make the decision. Happy listening...Mike

7. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Ben,
    A pair of Polk LSi-9 for just over $600/pair new, LSi-C center for about $350 and maybe LSi-7 for rears around $400. Personally I'd wait and save for LSi-FX bipolar/dipolars for rears ($200 more). The tweeter in the LSi is the same as that used in the Norh 6.9 and also on some very hi-end speakers. I recommend these over the B&W for the price. These are well constructed and have a very refined sound.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You should talk to Brian Bunge (Rutledge Audio) about the GR-Research AV1+. I think he could build you 5 of them for less than $1300.

You can also get in touch with Matrice on this board. He replaced his PSB Gold-i towers with these little bookshelves and hasn't regretted the decision at all.

I don't think they will be able to do reference level with HT, but 7-5dB below reference should not be a problem in meduim or small sized room. I'd talk to Matrice about this as I'm guessing from specs, he'll have first hand experience. But for music they are supposed to be unbelievable.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

Thanks for the plug! The prices on the GR Research website aren't exactly accurate. The prices that Danny has are for raw MDF cabinets. The A/V-1+ kits would be $300/pair ($600 for 4) plus $169 for the shielded driver kit for a center channel. So that's $789 just for the kits. The cabinets in an oak veneer with a clear poly finish would be $165 each. That's $825 for the finished cabinets. If someone wanted them assembled, Danny normally charges $90/pair for assembly. So for 5 speakers that's an extra $225.

So total would be $1839 for 5 completed A/V-1+'s. 5 completed A/V-1's in oak would be roughly $1500 if the center is shielded.

Brian

P.S. If one is capable of assembling the crossovers and can finish the raw MDF cabinet they are definitely a steal though!

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oops, thought you could do it for less than that. Oh well, still one hell of a deal. Especially if you compare to the cost of PSB Stratus Gold-i towers.

What does it come to with raw MDF cabinets and unassembled crossovers?

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

It would be $115 for each raw MDF cabinet plus $789 for the A/V-1+ kits (4 unshielded, 1 shielded), so that's $1364 + shipping.

Brian

12. Jason-Pro

Jason-Pro Stunt Coordinator

If your ok at DIY i built my speakers well fronts center and rears (8 7" subs and 5" ribbon tweeters and the crossover parts) was umm i think about $350 for the speakers and crossover parts. and the Wood was about $20 or so and the glue wsa $25. and they are great sounding very loud to very good bass and highs (need to be at ear level for the ribbontweeters tho but they do have a very very good sound i think)
    this is a pic of one of my fronts. the center channel is the exact same size but one 7" on each side and ribbon in the middle and the rears are just 7" shorter with only 1 7"
    [​IMG]

13. Jason-Pro

Jason-Pro Stunt Coordinator

also i got some bucking magnets on the 7s and thats included in the price. they are pretty good i can put them about 4-5" away from my wega.

14. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

Also check Infinity Interlude series, They are good speakers for the money.

15. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I would go with towers for your mains if music is a concern. I first went with bookshelves and a sub but couldnt get that nice full sound I was looking for. Then I went with just the bookshelves by themselves for music. This actually sounded better than the sub bookshelf combo. After several months of trying different placements and calibrating and recalibrating and never being completely happy. I gave up and ordered some towers from the same company and right out of the box I had the sound I was looking for. I wish I would have went that route to begin with, would have saved me a lot of frustration. YMMV because I know many people on this forum have succesfully integrated a sub and bookshelves for music but I was unable to. And beleive me I tried[​IMG]. Hope this helps.

16. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

Out of the speakers you mentioned I would go with the B&W's I did.
    You should get the LCR60-3 as a centre along with the newly released 600 S3's which are designed as rear speakers. Im not sure how much the 600's are in the U.S so try and get your budget to stretch to one of the floorstanding models.
    When I compared the B&W's they beat everything but I am in the U.K so not all the same ranges are out here than they are over their.
    But as the golden rule goes if you like the sound go for them regardless of make.