What's new

Denon 3800... (1 Viewer)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hi all has anyone come across this player at all?Im really looking forward to it but have no idea when or where to look.Any leads?Thanks in advance!

Luis S

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Luis and Tony, the DVD-3800 isn't out yet. The word is that it will sell for around $1200.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
The Denon 3800 and the 9000 have been slightly delayed. Unfortunately, it has been reported that there is still a slight chroma upsampling error. I hope that this will somehow be remedied in the future, because these players show great promise.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
for any candians interested, i went to a&b sound last night after work and they've got the 3800 in their computer system and it's on it's way... at $2049 cdn! for that much money i could get an rp-91 and the new 10 gig ipod...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, thanks for the update. If you see the '3800 at A&B Sound at some point, please post your impressions.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
miles, i didn't think to ask about the 1600. next time i'm there, i'll ask.

keith, i'm going to be getting a new player in the next month and hope to demo the 3800. if i do get a chance, i'll for sure post my impressions.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Matt. If DVD-Audio ever really gets off the ground in terms of software, I would consider upgrading from my Technics DVD-A10. I have no complaints with the performance of the 'A10, but I would consider other options if the software catalog were more vast. I'm not looking for a new DVD-Video player, so to get a new DVD-Audio player, the software catalog must be far more substantial than it is now.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm not up on my exchange rates, but the Denon DV-1600 is retailing at $499 U.S. in California.

Miles

Second Unit
I was told "about $1,000 CDN and a local retailer... so I was hoping for second opinions... :)

Miles

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles, are there any discount mail-order dealers in Canada? As you know, dealers like Oade Bros., OneCall, and J&R Music World get a lot of talk here by members in the US. I don't know if any of those dealers ship to Canada, but with all the fees associated with shipping across the border, there be no benefit to ordering from a US dealer.

Miles

Second Unit
Hey KeithH,

You're right... there really aren't any good mail-order places in Canada. My only hope is if I can get an American firend of mine to bring one back. Or to contact a dealer in another province if I take a trip.

Later,

Miles

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Wow,I didnt expect so many resonses so quickly!Thanks everybody!Ive been out trying to hunt them down myself,but closest I got was my local B&M had the 1600 on order :frowning: hopefully the 3800 isnt to far away.Ihave less and less patience these days when it come to upgrading ;)

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
My dealer said that he is scheduled to get word about the arrivals on April 18, 2002. He seems to think that he will have product (both 3800 and 9000) shortly afterwards. He also doesn't know how many units he will get.

CurtP

Grip
The DVD-2800Mk.II is listed on Denon's webpage now, and it's supposed to be released at the end of this month. Reviewing the specs between the two only reveals that the Mk.II is using the SiI504 decoding engine and Analog Devices 108Mhz D/A converter, remote in/out ports were added, it now plays DVD-R and is a couple of lbs lighter (which worries me they cheapened it).
I just received my DVD-2800 the other day, and after seeing the Mk.II listed, I called Denon thinking that I should send it back. After reviewing the specs, finding out the SiI504 converter suffers from the same chroma bug and test driving the 2800 at home, I doubt that I will. The lastest version of the 2800 (mine has a born-on date of Feb 2002) seems to have minimized the chroma bug issue (I couldn't find it although I was looking for it).
When I ordered the 2800, I knew the Mk.II was on it's way, but I figured if I kept waiting for the latest-n-greatest, I'd never own one. :D

Hi CurtP,
Just to clarify, the Chroma Error does not exist in the de-interlacer(Sil503/504). It is resident in the decoder.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks