What's new

Denon 1803 Help (1 Viewer)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Why is it that no matter what DTS dvd i play, whether its dts or dts-es, i only get NEO6... i do not currently have a rear center channel, is this the problem, i assume no. i can manually switch to dts, but then i get no sound, which is odd too. please help.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Do you have your DVD player hooked up with a Digital wire?

Do you have the DVD player set to output "BITSTREAM"

Do you have the digital input assigned to the DVD?

Do you have the receiver set to digital, or auto detect?

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
Try this--

on the bottom of the remote hit "auto" until it displays the word auto on the avr-1803. Then see if you still have the problem.

If that doesn't work, on the remote hit the surround button on the top left of the remote and that will cycle through the options.

I'd also check the dvd player's settings as those can throw off a digital stream.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
when i cycle the surround option on the blue top left button, usually (unless bothe dd and dts are on the disc) all i can choose is PLII and NEO6, otherwise DD and PLII, or if its only a PL disc i can do 5.1 stereo.

the dvd player auto detects and decodes either dts or dd.... its not the best dvd player though... its a jvc 602 all region.. i doubt the mod afftected anything.

i am still not clear on what i smeant by BITSTREAM.

when set up correctly, will DTS, DTS-ES, Dolby D EX (any) be shown on the display? Because it may be correct, but it is just showing Dolby D and Neo6...

i am not home now so i cant try the auto button, but on the avr itself there is a button that lets me cycle through "auto" "analog" and "dts" i have always used auto... but when i had switched to dts there eas no sound. i believe eveytyihng is hgooked up properly in the rear, and i never even had a problem, but i just read in essential home cinema that NEO6 is matrixed, and i flipped out... i jsut thought that dts es was diplayed as neo6....

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all... it was the bitstream setting. i myself didnt even know what bitstream meant, therefor, was unable to set it to that. i had it on DD/PCM... there was also STREAM/PCM... since i am just getting into HT equipment, i saw DD and got excited that i could now use that and selected it.

Thanks again.

true dts really is nice.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation. It is the format that CDs use. But it is only stereo. Only use PCM if you want all 5 channels converted down to 2 for stereo.

Bitstream is all 5.1 (or 6.1) channels of data in one constant flow of data that the receiver decodes back to 5.1 channels.

The STREAM/PCM option is if you want the Dolby Digital bitstream, but do not have a DTS decoder and want DTS to play in stereo (Don't ask me why)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
The STREAM/PCM option is if you want the Dolby Digital bitstream, but do not have a DTS decoder and want DTS to play in stereo (Don't ask me why)
does this mean that now, even though DTS is in the display, when stream is selected, it is only playing in stero? becasue i played a scene from zyang yimou's HERO (dts-es) and the superbit Resident Evil, and they both sounded good to me... grewat actually..

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
No, you have it right then. I thought you were saying that STREAM/PCM was a 3rd option, in which I would think it would do what I said.

But if you only have the 2 options, you definatly have the correct one. I don't know why them have PCM thrown in there, just to fool me I guess.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kyle, I'm using an 1803 in my bedroom system. If you are playing a DTS 5.1-encoded soundtrack, the status indicator on the front panel will read "DTS DVD" and there will be three red LEDs lit up to the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks