What's new

DEMENTIA 13 (Director's Cut) Blu-Ray September 21, 2021 (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I first saw this movie on a local public access channel when they would show Horror Hosts during the night.

Blu-ray.com reported this news 2 weeks ago, I've been waiting to see if/when it was going to be posted here.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm excited. The new cut is shorter, he has it down to about 69 minutes from about 75 minutes. It's been scanned 4K and at least in the trailer looks spectacular.

Dementia 13 obviously occupies a place in my heart as my first film and I’m very proud that it can now exist as I intended it.” -Francis Ford Coppola

DEMENTIA 13.jpg

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
69 minutes is awfully short compared to the 75 minute cut that doesn't include the prologue and the 80 minute version that does.

Yes, it does not look like the other cuts will be on the disc. Not sure if the cut footage will be a special feature either. It might be a better film at 69 minutes though, we'll have to see.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Yes, it does not look like the other cuts will be on the disc. Not sure if the cut footage will be a special feature either. It might be a better film at 69 minutes though, we'll have to see.

Both 75 and 80 minute versions are fine as I see it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Any time that I've watched Dementia 13, I've never thought "I wish this was longer" so I'm willing to trust Coppola's instincts to shorten the movie.

That being said, I wish that all the cuts were included for the sake of posterity.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Both 75 and 80 minute versions are fine as I see it.

That is how it has existed for years, I would have supported including the other versions on the disc but maybe Coppola wants the entire focus on the new cut. I would have liked to do a comparison of the different cuts to specifically see how he changed it.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That is how it has existed for years, I would have supported including the other versions on the disc but maybe Coppola wants the entire focus on the new cut. I would have liked to do a comparison of the different cuts to specifically see how he changed it.

Comparing will be easy since the film is in public domain, you can watch it anywhere and in both cuts too.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im keeping my other DVD and Blu-ray releases until I have this in my hands. PQ wise this should look great, but Im used to the longer cuts. The cut stuff could wind up being a detriment even if it is the directors cut !

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What is this director cut malarkey? Does he really have to mess around with everything? Or is this a cute way to copyright the film.

Perhaps, but it is also the way to make it look decent for the first time on video.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Perhaps, but it is also the way to make it look decent for the first time on video.
Coppola links to tinker. Why should this film be different than his rethinking of his major masterpieces ? Apart from with The Conversation of course which is beyond perfection. Looking at the trailer, Coppola's compositional mastery is evident even in this early film and that particularly sets it apart from most exploitation dreck.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Coppola links to tinker. Why should this film be different than his rethinking of his major masterpieces ? Apart from with The Conversation of course which is beyond perfection. Looking at the trailer, Coppola's compositional mastery is evident even in this early film and that particularly sets it apart from most exploitation dreck.

I was merely referring to the fact that DEMENTIA 13 is a public domain film, and that it has looked absolutely atrocious on video in the past. I'm glad Coppola has "tinkered" with it! I've generally liked all of his revised editions.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I would like Coppola to do a director's cut of The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980 if that's the only way we'll ever see it again. ;)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
[QUOTE="Dennis Nicholls, post: 50...he 1980s. I feel bad for the writer [/QUOTE]

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I watched this yesterday. Looks great. Good commentary. The narrative is improved by the removal of a couple of sequences. Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks