Defrag on a Mac (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Having problem doing any defrag on my Mac (bootups are very
slow on my Macbook Pro) and I *think* I have figured out why....

Every software I have tried (Drive Genius/TechTool) is not
allowing a defrag to be done from within the Macintosh HD.

In other words, I think I have to install these programs and run
them from a external drive and/or bootup CD so I am not doing
a defrag from within the same hard drive.

Can anyone confirm if this is true or have I just made up a
bunch of horse shit? :)

Thanks!

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty much it-- you can't defrag the disk without unmounting it, and you can't unmount it if it's currently hosting the active System. I generally boot from an external hard drive, but I've also used firewire target disk mode.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeremy,

How can I boot from an external hard drive? SuperDuper has backed
up my entire system to an external so I can easily boot from it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Isn't Tech Tool on a bootable disc? I have always found it best to boot from that disc to do the defrag. Just hold down the "C" key during startup. Of course, I haven't had Tech Tool in years, so it may not be bootable anymore. Otherwise, either of the two previous suggestions will work.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One interesting thing: I recently upgraded my MBP internal HD, and used Carbon Copy Cloner to do it. I first put in my new HD in an external drive, CCC'd to it, and then installed it.

One thing I noticed: when CCC copied everything, it did so in a logical order (system files first, program files, then music/movie files), and it defragged in the process (by nature of the HFS+ file system). I confirmed this by running the demo version of iDefrag which at least lets you analyze the fragmentation on your HD. My old HD was horribly fragmented (I do a ton of small to medium file add/deletes) and the same files on my new HD were not fragmented.

Now what I have to figure out is, next time I need a defrag, can I CCC to an external drive, boot from the external drive, and CCC back to the internal drive?

Anyone had luck with this?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had terrible problems booting from any CCC backup (and just general problems), but have never had a single problem booting from a firewire backup done with SuperDuper. Never tried it with a USB drive. Now, that is my standard practice. I backup to a firewire drive, which is left off the rest of the time for added protection. When I get a new drive or just reconfigure things, I boot from the firewire drive and back it up to an internal.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is defragging necessary or even useful on a Mac?

On Windows, it's almost spiritual ritual for exorcising computer demons -- if anything weird is going on, do a defrag. So is defragging a Mac good practice? Or is this Windows users bringing bad habits to the Mac world?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Not Really, no. Diskwarrior is more useful for fixing the broken file systems that Disk First Aid can't handle.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Most people say no. I can, from firsthand experience, tell you that there are certain circumstances when it's useful. Here was my experience:

1. HD was over 90% full
2. Perform a lot of write, modify and/or deletion of small to medium files (i.e. AAC files 8-15MB, video files 60-600MB)
3. Have a lot of programs which constantly upgrade (4 major browsers, Adobe CS3 premium, Office 2004, iWork 06 then 08, iLife 06 then 08, ProTools 7.0-7.3.1). I upgrade my programs to the latest versions all the time.

Towards the end my HD was just slow. Spinning beach ball all the time, the startup time which had been under 30 seconds now was well over a minute.

I loaded the trial version of iDefrag which showed massive fragmentation all over the HD.

I CCC'd to a larger HD, which now is about 60% full as opposed to 93% full. I watched the CCC process and how it copied the files, I can't swear 100% it went this way as I wasn't taking notes, but it seemed to copy system files first, then the program files, then the media/personal files.

When I installed and booted up on the new HD, it was an improvement as if I had just turned on the Mac for the first time. Booted in 25 seconds, no spinning beach balls, increased load performance all across the board (more than what could be accounted for even given the fact that my new HD was 7200rpm and my old one was 5400).

Ran iDefrag, and there was almost no fragmentation. So I can say that there is a condition where defragging will help, but it is pretty extreme compared to when it's needed in Windows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gotcha.

So in two years when my MBP is out of warranty, I can crack it open, add another 2GB of RAM, upgrade to a 500 GB laptop drive, and defrag too. That'll be a good spring cleaning and system refresher. :)

ErichH

Screenwriter

Agree - the old days of defrag (any one remember the Norton nightmare?) are gone for the most part.
Best to use DWarrior on a regular basis, and perhaps a bi yearly or once a year low level format & build from scratch with a fresh backup on hand (SuperDuper is nice)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Why wait? Mine's a year and a half old and I have Applecare ;)

Seriously - the RAM is user replaceable and says so in the warranty, go ahead and add more RAM.

The HD was a more serious endeavor and I'd only recommend it if you're comfortable taking things apart. If anything ever does go wrong I feel confident I can replace the original HDD and they won't be able to tell.

The other way to keep your Mac clean is to store all audio/video/personal files externally, or not let it get to over 75-80% disk capacity filled (which is around where I started seeing the slowdown).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't need the RAM -- 2GB is plenty for now. But I imagine in a couple of years, OS 10.6 Liger will need more. And I'm only using 80GB of my 160 GB internal drive, so I don't need a new HD for a while.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I was rather wondering, what big cat's name are they going to use next? I had thought "Lion", but I seem to recall someone telling me that it was used for an internal beta build or something. Otherwise, what's left? Lynx? Cougar? Puma (which is another name for a jaguar anyway)? Cheetah?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Puma, Mountain Lion, Panther and Cougar all refer to the same cat, Puma concolor. The Jaguar, Pathera onca is a completely different species.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My only reason for defragging is because on my Macbook Pro
bootup time is painfully slow. Nowhere near as fast as it used to be.

I think that a defrag may fix that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks