What's new
World Wide Stereo

Definitive Technology speakers???? (1 Viewer)

Sean Mullin

Agent
Ok here is what I have... an Onkyo TX-NR801 Receiver...

Here is the speaker rig I am considering... any ideas on whether this is a great system or is there a better system for the money or less monies??

1 Pair Definitive Technologies BP10

1 Cnter channel Definitive Technologies CLR2002

1 Pair Definitive Technologies BPXBLK

1 pwrd Sub Definitive Technologies PS100TL

With an eye to add for the 7.1

1 pair Definitive Technologies SM350

728x90

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a great sounding system for the money. I love Definitive myself. But may I recommend a SuperCube I or II? These subs are very reasonable and powerful. I have the old model (PF-1500). But, I love it!! I may decide later and get the Reference Cube (1,800W). Whoa!! :)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
Robert,

ive had the SCI and the reference. the reference is leaps and bounds above the SCI. i just got rid of my reference, but i was very happy with it.

now its time to do dual velodyne HGS15x's. (still waiting on them to ship :angry: )

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
i'd pass on DT. these don't stand the test of time (regardless of what the magazine ads say).

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
haha.

stand the test of time? what the hell does that mean? its not my favorite speaker, but they are pretty well built and are a decent speaker for the money. if you are doing HT with them, they are pretty heard to beat.

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like that's somewhere around 15% off msrp if my math is correct, not bad I guess. I was able to get my Def Tech setup for 25% off msrp but, I'm not sure if that is possible everywhere or not. Try a little more haggling perhaps. Also, as others have stated, rethink the sub. At least go up to a supercube model, or maybe even something from SVS.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

What do you mean by this? Have you had problems with some or know someone who has? I've run this set up for 5 years, and have been really quite happy with it:

BP6-front R&L
Procenter100-center
Promonitor100-surrounds

I originally had the Prosub100, which I thought was great (and it was at the time). About 9 months ago I swapped it for an SVS 16-46PCi, which is leaps and bounds above the Prosub100.

Although I do like the Def. Techs, I will listen to some others when I'm ready to complete the dedicated theater in the basement, and will almost certainly replace them with something else. I'll probably initially look at B&W, Paradigm, PSB, Triad, and M&K for starters.

Just be sure you listen to as much as you can in your price range, and let your own ears decide what you like.

Matt

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I can certainly agree with that,I lived with with Def Tech speakers for over 6 years,and finally got rid of them last year,after hearing some other brands for about the same price,or less.After that the DTs suddenly "sounded horrible" to me.The following speakers I owned:BP10s front,CLR1000 center,BP2s surround, C1jr center back.
YMMV.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Def Techs definately seem to be a love'm or hate'm speaker.

Those of you that own/owned them do they really need as much room as I read reports of?

Is that review really from 13 years ago?

"Reprinted with permission from the February 1991 issue of STEREO REVIEW magazine. Copyright © 1991 by Hatchette Magazine Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they've been around for a while. Love em or hate em...it's like that with all speakers.

AaronH

Stunt Coordinator
I know several people that have had BP30's, 2000's and BP10's since like '93 and they are still pounding away. Saying they dont last is just being uninformed. They are known to last a looong time.

Ignore the haters people, it's not worth trying to tell them how it is. They only want to hear and see one thing, and thats negativity. If you dont feed them with responses, they drift away. :)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Had BP-30's for 6+ years. Great for HT, so-so for music. Wouldn't buy DT again. Still have the PF1500 sub though.

-Dave

JasonLaz

Agent
I haven't had my Definitive Technology speaker's as long as some here but this is the current setup:

Definitive Technology BP7006's Mains
Definitive Technology C/L/R 2300 Center
Definitive Technology BP1.2X's Surrounds
Definitive Technology ProSub200TL Sub

This system COMPLETELY rock's for movies and sounds great on all the music I listen to: primarilly classic rock, blues, and metal. I'm not going to comment on how it might sound with classical music and the like because...honestly I just don't listen to that type of music. It wouldn't surprise me if there are better speakers for classical music though. This system serves my purposes well which is about 85% movies/TV watching and 15% music listening purposes.

After reading some responces here from others I have to wonder what they found 'horrible' about the sound or what they found lacking on the Definitive Technology speakers compared with what they are currently running as I have heard all the speakers that they have listed in their profiles and haven't seen dramatic differences in quality towards one extreme or another unlike what some are claiming. At these price points on speakers, they will all sound excellent IMO but they will all have their strengths and weakness'es as well albeit small differences among them.

I have read some say that the bipolar speakers are lousy for music because of muffled dialog due to some saying the bipolar design's cause reflection issues and an 'echo' per say on the voals yet I have heard NOTHING that was muffled yet out of my setup. Everything comes across as crystal clear on vocals, with great midrange and highs and tremendous low end (which is to be expected with the powered subwoofers in the center channel and the left and right main speakers). Honestly, in my personal opinion for the money, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better system for movie watching (which is my primary purpose of the system).

The nice thing about the Definitive Technology speakers in general is that they are a small footprint speaker that doesn't dominate your whole living room and they have excellent low end for movies as I have already mentioned. I think I could improve on the subwoofer and will probably buy an SVS sub in the future when I get into a house but for now it's got more low end than I can use in an apartment anyways without getting me booted out on my ear :)

Back to the original posters question though: I think that setup will be awesome. You never really state how much of the system will be for music or movie watching. I would assume the majority of use would be for movies though if you are posting on this board though. If that's the case, I think you have the makings for a nice movie watching experience.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
See above!I still had the DT's when my Polks arrived,there were no contest I'm afraid,except in dynamics,where the DT's shines as I said it above.But that's were the "good news" ended" for the DTs ;) Like I said before your milage may vary.

Jack N

Agent
One nice thing about forums – everyone can throw in their own 2 cents. And when it comes to something as subjective as sound, there are plenty of opinions to go around. With that, I feel that I have to take exception to some of the things that Lewis Besze stated. This isn’t directed strictly at him, but addresses remarks made by many other people towards bipolar and dipolar speakers in general, regardless of manufacturer. I’m just using some of his statements because they’re typical. To “me” (remember, my 2 cents only) some of what is said just doesn’t make sense.

“While it throws a large soundstage, it lacks focus”. Well that’s like saying “While water is wet, it lacks dryness.” As far as speakers are concerned, soundstage and focus are complete opposites. Bipolar speakers generate a large soundstage because of simple physics – they’re generating sound in two different directions. That’s how they’re supposed to sound. To “me”, that reproduces sound more accurately than any monopole speaker because sound never travels in just one general direction, it radiates out from the source in every conceivable direction there is until it bumps into something and changes course. For example, when someone plays a note on a drum, does the sound only go in one direction? No. When someone plays a note on a piano, does the sound only go in one direction? No. Even when listening to something as directional as a gun, the sound still radiates in all directions, it doesn’t just travel with the bullet.

“The center image tends to shift with frequency”. To “me” that sounds more realistic than having it focused in the center. Example: If you’re sitting front and center at a music concert, are all the instruments lined up in a straight row, front to back, in front of you? No. They’re spread out all over the stage. Each instrument has it’s own natural frequency, so as the different frequencies play, of course the source of the music is going to change location. If it didn’t, it would be defying the laws of physics. And that leads to – “reminding you that you are indeed listening to components not music”. To “me” it’s the complete opposite. Bipolars are much more natural than 2 monopole centrally focused speakers. “Focused” sound just doesn’t seem realistic at all. And that reminds me that I’m "listening to speakers, not music".

And of course, consequently, when the statement “they were lackluster with most types of music” is made, to “me” they’re saying that they prefer the unrealistic sound better than the realistic. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, it’s strictly a matter of personal taste. Nothing more.

As far as how far from the wall should they be? That’s strictly a matter of personal taste and the laws of physics again. If you like a smaller soundstage, have them closer to the wall because the sound will bounce sooner. If you like a larger soundstage, have them farther away from the wall because it will take longer for the sound to reflect. So anytime you hear “These speakers sound best located…….” they’re expressing they’re own personal taste. There isn’t any specific set distance that they should be. It’s up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks