What's new

Definitive Technology speakers???? (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Bravo!!! Now if you have said this first you could had save me all this typing.On this we can aggree!

Jack N

Agent
First of all, I want to apologize. My goal in my response was to address inaccurate statements made about non-monopole speakers made by people in general. Not about your response. However now that I go back and read it over again, I can see that I did a pretty poor job. My sincere apologies if you felt attacked. That wasn’t my intention.

So now with that out of the way, I need to ask a question. “No,it means that image focus isn't stable,in the so called sounstage that the speaker is trying to create,and intruments are sounded "distant" or even "wandering". Can you clarify “image focus”? That’s honestly a new one for me. Are you referring to definition? For the second part of your statement, I’ve found that if instruments sound other than what you are expecting them to sound like, it’s usually because of how any given track was recorded, and how the pre-amp processes the signal. The speakers only play what they’re told to play. Agree?

“Yes but they shouldn't be mutually exclusive.There are speakers that does both well,and there is also a prefference by a listener that which is more important to him” and “I hate to bring this to you but not once I said I was not happy with the DT because it was bipolar.It is your assumption” I wasn’t addressing you specifically. They were meant as a generalizations. Sorry.

“Even if it a single intrument that suddenly moved accross the "soundstage"?” I honestly don’t know how that can be attributed to speakers. They only play what they’re told to play. I haven’t had that happen to me. Can you explain please?

“Yeah,I've read the brochure too!” Seriously, is that in a brochure?! Which one?

“Actually DT is very specific as to where you put these speakers and having lived with these speakers for years and in 3 different rooms,I can tell you , that the worst you can do is set them up too far from the back wall,so I agree with DT on this one for sure.” I’ll take your word about being too far from the wall. My room simply isn’t big enough for me to find out. And your statement only makes sense…the laws of physics are the laws of physics. The farther away from the wall, the longer it takes for the sound to reflect. It still ends up being a matter of personal taste as to where they end up, I put mine where they work best for me.

“Thanks Professor!” I’m a regular rocket scientist, ain’t I? I’m no ordinary dummy!

“Bravo!!! Now if you have said this first you could had save me all this typing.” Sorry. I thought I did. Us rocket scientists sometimes get our mords wixed up.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I had several publication from DT and many used pretty much the same stuff about bipolar sound just like what you said,which of course in theory makes sense.The question is though, did DT did delivered as promised?It is definite NO in my opinion.
BTW my favorite speakers are Magnapans which are dipoles.;)

Jack N

Agent
“Sure. The "mental images of the instruments being played in a music program that one's listening to.Many listener when they close their eyes imagine that actual musicians playing their intruments front of them.” Interesting. I often close my eyes too but it’s not to image anything. In fact it’s just the opposite. I don’t want to be distracted by my what I’m seeing so I can concentrate better on what I’m hearing. I guess the imaging thing just isn’t important to me, although I can certainly understand how some people enjoy it.

“speakers are tend to be the weakest link in the chain” Amen to that.

“If that would be true then all speakers would sound alike is that you trying to say?” I’m not sure where you’re coming from on that. When I say that speakers only play what they’re told to play, I mean that they don’t reproduce signals that aren’t there – they can’t invent their own, so to speak, although they do introduce their own peculiar harmonics to a much lesser degree if that’s what you mean.

“BTW my favorite speakers are Magnapans which are dipoles.” I can’t honestly say that I’ve ever heard any type of ribbon speaker before, although I’m certainly intrigued by their theory and construction. How well do they mix with conventional style speakers, and how do they compare as far as dynamic response?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
They micro dynamics are supperior,however their macro dynamics can suffer from the fact that you can't move as smuch air with ribbons as oppose to cones.I have a feeling that some Maggie owners will jump in and say I'm "wrong".However for the same reason it's low bass reproduction is limited.With a good IB sub,and active HP filtering all those probleam would "dissapear" though.If I wanted to describe their sound in one word it would be: lifelike.;)

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I built my first really good DIY speakers with drivers that Parts Express got from a buyout of Definitive Technology. The drivers are really superb. I have the Definitive 5.25" woofer used in the BP8 and the Seas H537 tweeter used in the BP30 in an MTM configuration. Resolution with the Seas tweeter is superb, and the midbass have a very natural sound as well. These speakers need some work, though. I had someone else who is much more experienced in crossover design come up with an improved network, and I know a lot more about building good-looking cabinets, so it's time to take these speakers to the next level. If Definitive sold monopole versions of their speakers they'd probably do more business.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I spent a rainy afternoon trying to find something wrong with a Definitive Technology 2002 CLR center speaker. (I really lusted after a Polk CS1000 with powered sub-woofer). But the darned 2002 speaker let me hear sounds on my demo DVD's that other systems would not reproduce. (Twister, Star Trek: First Contact).

I bought DefTech (2002CLR, 2000TL towers) and have loved them for about the last 6 years or so.

Since then, I have done a lot of studying about bipolar speakers, the Hass effect and acoustics. Here is my advice:

Bipolar vs Monopole: Only buy the bipolar L/R speakers if you can pull them 2-3 feet INTO the room to give the rear-fire sounds room to travel. Go for one of the mono-pole speakers if you dont have this kind of room

(I have heard that 5 2002CLR speakers sound great as an array).

Dont buy the towers with built-in subwoofers unless you have ... special needs. (Like limited space, or a spouse who flatly refuses to have a seprate subwoofer in the room.) A single subwoofer, properly placed, will give you superior sound.

While some of the concerns over total-accurate musical reproduction are true, much of it does not apply to a HT system. So if you are mainly putting together a HT speaker setup - the DefTechs would be a fine choice IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks