What's new
World Wide Stereo

Definitions (1 Viewer)

Ive been doing searches in order to learn more about buying a tv.. DLP, LCD, HDTV RP.. but i continue to come across the CRT. Can someone tell me what is the CRT tv? And if someone has the time to give me a few pros and cons between the rp hdtv, dlp, and lcd. i will continue to use the search function in the mean time. thanks. PS i only need the definition for CRT and what type of tv it is.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
A CRT TV is what you are use to watching its your normal type thats been around for years and years. Its short for cathode ray tube which involves shooting electrons from an electron gun onto a phosphor coated screen. Picture quality wise, I believe these still have yet to be beat(providing they are HD)

LCD is much the same technology that you see becoming more and more common in Computer screens. It involves individual pixels arranged in a set resolution. Their advantage is that the screens can be made incredibly thing however they tend to lack the black level of other sets. They also have an effect known as the screen door effect. Basically because you are looking at individual pixels, if you are picky you might see a "grating" like effect"

DLP is short for digital light projection. It has very good color reproduction. They can made fairly thin but in no way wall mountable. Because they use a color wheel some people notice a "rainbow" effect when viewing this type of screen. I would go look at some and see if you notice it, if not, it might be a good option.

HDTV - is just a term for TV able to reproduce 1080i or 720p signals. It can be in any TV including LCD, DLP, Front projection, rear projection, or plasma

RP HDTV - is an anagram(sp) for Rear projection HDTV. Its technology that has been around awhile but it capable of displaying HD signals. I believe sometimes the picture can look washed out and not as bright as some other types of sets but this can vary set to set.

One you didn't list is PLASMA - it is similar looks wise to LCD but has better black levels generally and is wall mountable. The problem with these is that they can suffer from "burn in" which means that if you watch one show where there is a static image of play video games, you risk leaving part of the image permanently "burned into" the screen.

Theres also LCoS(liquid crystal on silicon) screens that are new. They are like DLP's but eliminate the rainbow effect. These might be tough to find though, not sure how common they are now.

Lastly, there is front projection which means buying a projector and a screen. This can display HD signals and can have eunormous screen sizes. But in a sunny room the picture will be quite dim. Its better suited for an enclosed home theater.

Hope that gets you started. some people will probably post soon telling me everything I got wrong but oh well, its the basics. :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ryan gave a great list. :emoji_thumbsup:

I will add that the Rear Projector televisions are also considered "CRT" based. They have 3 CRT "guns" that fire colors onto the screen.

WOW~!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks boys. This forum continues to be just incredible for help. You have made me much more confident to shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks