What's new

Def Tech experience? Please help! (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I was in my closest HT store this weekend and listening to the Def Tech power towers which I like the sound of for HT. I have built an addition onto my home and have converted the old garage (20x20) for family room / HT. The salesman said that the 2006TL series would not adequately fill the room with sound and that I would need to step up at least to the 2002TL which are $500/each more. Was this sales pitch, or legitimate? Although I had rather have the 2002, I do not want to spend the extra $1k unless I have to. He did not have the 2006 setup in a large room to see for myself and I did not have a lot of time to ask him to move them to test for myself. What do you think?

Also, Def Tech told me through email that if I had a sub (I do, an SVS), that the BP10 or even BP30 would be much better choice than the power towers because of the better drivers. He said that the BP30, for example, was the 3000TL without the sub / amp and would be MUCH better choice that the smaller power towers for about the same price. The salesman said that this was BS and if so, why doesn't anyone carry the BP line anymore. That Def Tech was obviously trying to move some older speakers. Give me your opinion.

Nathaniel_J

Auditioning
First of all, I can't imagine why Def Tech would tell you that the BP30s are equivalent to the 3000s without the sub. Nonsense!! Go to www.definitivetech.com and look at the loudspeaker specifications. You will clearly see the BP30s and the 3000s are not the same. Secondly, your salesperson is either not very knowledgeable about Def Tech products or he is just trying to sell you more expensive speakers. The 2006s should be okay in a room the size you described especially with a separate sub. Sure the 2002s would be better but the 2006s are no slouches. You can always upgrade to the 2002s later and use the 2006s for your rear surrounds. This would be similar to my setup with the 2000s in front and 2004s in the rear.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I do not own nor do I have any opinion on Def Tech speakers, butI do have one questio. Do you really think you need the built-in subs if you already have an SVS? If youskip the built-in subs,I would think that would alow you to buy a better non-powered model.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
It appears that the BP30's are indeed the BP3000's minus the woofers. I have read in many posts that the best way to go is with the BP30's and an "outboard" sub. The specs on the BP30's are:
BP 30 Specifications: Dimensions: 8 1/2"W x 15"D x 46"H Frequency Response: 18 Hz - 30 KHz Rec. Assoc. Amplification: 20-500 Watts/channel Efficiency: 91 dB Nominal Impedance:4 - 8 ohms Driver Compliment: Two 25 mm pure aluminum dome tweeters; four 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange drivers. Finish: Jewel-like piano black lacquer with wraparound black grill cloth (optional white cloth available separately). Weight: 80 lbs. Speakers are supplied with an optional spiking kit. Retail: $699.00 ea.

semms like same speaker compliment to me.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I heard a system that had (4) BP30's, (1)C/L/R 2000 which is the CLR3000 less sub and (2)BPVX's for the rear centers. The subs were dual SVS Ultra's. It was one of the best sounding systems for Hometheater I have heard!!!!!!!

GO FOR IT!

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Kelly,
I have the DT 2004tl, & these would easily fill a room that size.
I run a full DT set up.
Mains - BP 2004TL
Center - CLR 2002
Surrounds - BP 2X
Does your dealer carry the 2004s?
They would be a nice step up from the 2006s for just a little more cost.
I am about to upgrade my speakers, any interest in my 2004s? :D
Seriously, not trying to make this an add to sell my speakers, but do check out the 2004s if you can.
It would be worth the money to go with the 2004s over the 2006s for a few hundred more.
Go compare the specs on the DT site, & also with your ears if you can.
http://www.definitivetech.com/specs/specs.html
Todd

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
I had the 2006 for my Fronts til i had the itch last year to upgrade and traded them in for the 2002's and the difference is more then i thought but the 2006's never seem to fill the room like the 2002's do,i get a lot more detail like things i was missing on the 2006's but hear quite planly on the 2002's with the same DVDs.At the time i was using my Integra 9.1 to power everything but now i Bi-amp them with Outlaw amps (200 Watts per-High and Mid input) and run a RCA to the Sub input(Low input) from the Front Channel output on my Pre-Pro,these Speakers love power and really sound the better for it.
I also have dual SVS subs and sometimes i wish i got the BP 30's instead because the bass is so much better from the subs then the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks