Decisions...Decisions (Sony vs. Toshiba)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Makela, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Ken Makela

Ken Makela Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I think I'm beginning to wear my wife down. Thanksgiving (CDN) dinner may have worn her out. I've been pricing-out RPTV Toshiba 57HX81, Sony 50HW30. These 2 are about the same price, but which one is the better deal? I saw a 50H80 last week and it was quite stunning, even with the stretch modes for 4:3 material the distortion wasn't objectionable. Progressive scan was incredible and the flexibility of settings for each input and mode is very desirable. I saw the Sony today at the local Sony Store and there seemed to be some jaggies on edges. This thing may not have been calibrated, because I saw another one at a different store that was much cleaner. Both of these sets can be had for between $4,500- $4,900. I would opt for the no payments/no interest until 2003 because I need to sock a bit of cash away for the RRSPs. I sit about 12 feet away so I don't think the larger Tosh would pose a problem. I also have Bell ExpressVu with the 4700 receiver and I wonder how an s-video feed would look. I have the Panny A-320 DVD player so I wouldn't be able to enjoy Progressive Scan, but it does have component-out. Help me out here because I'm ready to roll, whether the wife likes it or not.
    Ken

2. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Ken,
    I'm also about to start looking at the Toshiba 57HX81 also. I'm just about to move (next week) to Seattle, WA and will be purchasing one a few weeks from now.
    I just sold my Sony KP-53V80 (non HDTV) so that I could step up to a 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen set finally.
    I'm normally a very strong Sony supporter - but with all the rave reviews on last years Toshiba sets - I'm probably gonna give them the nod over Sony's sets this year.
    I will definitely have to demo these out first though. Where's the best place to demo a Toshiba 57HX81 in the Seattle area? Any ideas anyone?
    Just wanted to let you know my thoughts - as I'm trying to make up my mind also. Right now I'm going Toshiba.
    Mike
    ------------------
    I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection