Decent SACD player for cheap?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Sep 20, 2001.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I'd like to know whether there is any cheaply priced but decent (of course) SACD player on the market? I don't need multi-channel. Just 2-ch for listening in my recording studio.

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

David,
    I'm not sure if it qualifies as good ( I haven't had a chance to audition yet) but futureshop is showing a sony model in this weeks flyer for 600 cdn... I'm not sure of the model or any details ( the flyer is vague) but I do believe that the unit is multi channel... funny thing is the flyer has a web id number on it 10007028 i believe but when you search on that ( at least last night) It came up blank...
    If you find out any more details before me could you post please!
    Thanks
    Miles
    ------------------
    Miles
    DarkSide Member since(93)

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, Sony recently released the SCD-CE775 multi-channel SACD carousel changer for $350 USD (the price at brick and mortar stores and Crutchfield; Oade Bros. and J&R Music World in the US sell it for less). Sony is also supposed to be releasing the SCD-XE670 single-disc, multi-channel SACD player for around $300 USD. Back in January at the CES, Sony announced that the 'XE670 would be out in September, but I have heard nothing more about it. That means I have not heard that Sony is cancelling it. Sony will also be releasing two budget interlaced DVD players with multi-channel SACD capability. The DVP-NS500V single-disc model will sell for around $300 USD, while the DVP-NC650V carousel changer will sell for about $400 USD. Both models should be out soon. All of Sony's current and forthcoming SACD players will have multi-channel capability, but they will all play CDs and stereo SACDs.
    If you looking for a good bargain in a stereo-only SACD player, you ought to try to track down the Sony SCD-C333ES carousel changer. It was discontinued recently. Although the original retail price of the 'C333ES was $1200 USD, dealers had been blowing them out a few weeks ago for $500-550 USD. I even heard that Good Guys on the west coast of the US was selling it for $400 USD recently. It's a steal at $550 USD, in my opinion. I have one in my second system, and it's an excellent component. Build quality is excellent, and it is an excellent CD player. SACDs, of course, sound fantastic.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on September 20, 2001 at 09:22 PM]

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I think the new Sony one will be this one
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-QeZxxv3rioL/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=54400&I=158DVS500V&o=M&a=0
    [Edited last by Andrew Pratt on September 20, 2001 at 04:16 PM]

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew, the 'NS500V will play DVDs as well as SACDs and CDs. One might observe better SACD/CD performance from a straight SACD/CD player since DVD players are often lacking for CD playback relative to dedicated CD players at a given price point. I would be curious to compare SACD and CD playback (using the analog outputs for CDs) on the 'CE775 to the forthcoming DVP-NC650V, both of which are carousel changers.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

So, has anyone played with the the DVP-NS500V yet? Is it even shipping? I need a new DVD player, and SACD would be a nice bonus, 'specially with the new Roger Waters multichannel disc on the way.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    Don't hold your breath on that particular disc. I remember back when Sony released DVD in '97, they had Pink Floyd's Pulse due out. It hasn't been released to date.
    ------------------
    Q

8. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

10. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    I received my Sony DVP-NS500V DVD/CD/SACD player about a week ago. I purchased it needing a new DVD Player (my Panasonic A110 was shot) knowing that I would upgrade to a much nicer one in two years when I upgrade to HDTV and progresive outs. I went with this one because it was cheap ($270) and had SACD playback. I have to admit that the sound has blown me away. I purchased a few jazz titles (Miles Daves Sketchs of Spain, Kind of Blue & Dave Brubeck Time Out) and I am amazed at the difference the higher encoding resolution adds to these classic recordings. The DVD playback is great for a DVD player in this price range, but it is hardly reference quality. Does this help?