good SACD reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeremyErwin, Feb 11, 2006.

1. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

After seeing the sizes of the SACD/DVD-Audio selection at tower, I've come to the conclusion, perhaps too hastily, that DVD-Audio is dying, but the market for classical and jazz SACDs seems a bit more robust. Pity. I liked DVD-Audio, despite any deficiencies in my player (an Oppo 971H).
    Having said that, are there any decent SACD players on the market that fulfill these requirements?

1. relatively cheap (200--300, including discounts)
    2. Can be programmed/setup without the use of a monitor. (rather important!)
    3. have at least some facilities for bass/delay management.
    4. preferably without too many frills. I don't need DVD. I don't need a carousel.

Are the Sony ES players good across the board? I saw some at a local tweeter...

(I seem to have placed this on the wrong subforum. damn. Obviously this should go in Audio/Video sources.)

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    DVD-A is not dying, though SACD has a greater number of releases compared to DVD-A. Basing that assumption on Tower's selection is a big mistake. The main reason being, Tower has moved their hires titles out and mixed them into the rest of the CDs. Since most of the titles do not overlap, I would still say it is worth getting a universal player.

Right now, I believe there are practically no single disc SACD players; the majority that are single disc are DVD players. If you want one that is audio only, you're probably going to need to look used. You might check around for a Sony SCD-C333ES. I have a 222ES which is a carousel version and it's been a very good player so far. It can be setup without a monitor and it has acceptable, though a bit unusual bass management. The bass management actually works like a fader allowing you to tweak the blend between the mains and sub. Not the best method, but it works.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Yes. My sampling methods are based on the fact that there's a Tower one block down from my house. Tower has moved the Pop/Rock/miscellaneous hires audio in with the CDs. However, the classical stuff remains segregated.
    There's maybe one row of DVD-Audio and five rows of sacd. I asked the clerk, and he said that new releases of SACDs are far more common than DVD-Audio.

I'm not trying to take sides in a format war. It's just that much to my chagrin, DVD-Audio titles are hard to find...

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

(the following goes for any surround format)

From what I've been seeing, its seems like if the BAND wants a surround version of their music, that makes it much more likely such a thing is released. Anyone else notice among pop/rock 5.1 titles many (most?) are of more progressive or "out-of-the-box" type of music? For example: Flaming Lips (their new album in April will be available in 5.1 too), Peter Gabriel (includes his Play dvd-video), R.E.M., Roxy Music, Porcupine Tree, various club/house musicians, Depeche Mode (who recently announced most of their previous albums will be remixed to 5.1 sacd), Beck, the upcoming Moody Blues sacds (only in Europe though), etc.

I have to keep reminding myself that while I/we like surround music, that doesn't mean every musician does.

But on the positive side, more and more mixers are able to also do 5.1 mixes, so a studio has more choice as far as these employees are concerned (i.e. they don't always have to shell out loads of $$$ for one of the "big names" like in the early days).

So my theory is that the more conventional/traditional the music is, the less chance of a surround version.

So dammit [​IMG] , where's the 5.1 versions of Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Stereolab, Tool, Beastie Boys, Thievery Corporation, Art of Noise, etc, etc, etc???

5. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same market. Made the same decision about SACD and DVD Audio. I did some research, but SACD player project has been moved to the back burner for now. I was considering Sony DVP-NS90V. The new NS3100ES is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't seen any reviews yet, and it's not clear if it's worth the higher price.

6. John Garcia

John
    I agree with Lance - a lot of it depends on the band.

Tool and A Perfect Circle would seem to be two bands that it surprises me they have not jumped on this. The Tool albums already have a LOT of activity with just the 2ch mixes. APC would also sound great, IMO.

Denon 1920 will do all formats and has decent video at $350.

7. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

And does them all surprisingly (to me) well. First DVD player I've heard that I could stick with and not want a CD player to pair with it. I've had my 1920 for about 4 months now and continue to be pleased with it in all ops modes.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

SACD and DVD-A players are discussed here, guys. Thread moved.

9. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

I prefer SACD over DVD-A becuase I use a front projector and do not want to turn it on just navigate the menu to listen to a DVD-A.

10. John Garcia

John
    I know, I don't like that much either with DVD-A. Some discs will simply start playing, while most require you to make some type of audio format choice at the very least. Most of the time I turn on the tube, make my choice and turn it back off....but that doesn't stop my from picking up a title I'm interested in. My selection is about 60/40 SACD to DVD-A.

11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

FYI, Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin is available on DVD-A right now.

My collection of hi-rez disks is split about 50/50 SACD and DVD-A. Yes, DVD-A can be a little bit of a hassle, but they sound great. The hi-rez stereo track on the DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors sounds better than the re-mastered CD. It's not a huge difference, but it's real. And the HDAD (2 channel 24/192 DVD-A) of Alan Parson's I, Robot is incredible, noticably better than the CD.