What's new

Dead Like Me cancelled (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This is premiering on the Sci-Fi channel on Tuesday (July 18). I'm looking forward to it as I never subscribed to Showtime when the show was on, so I'm glad that it's found its way to basic cable. I just hope there won't be too many edits.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

An awful lot of "fucks" and "blow-jobs" are probably going to go by the wayside. :) (And take a lot of Daisy's character with them. :D)

Still, the show will probably fare better than, say, The Sopranos, which will probably end up a half-hour sitcom by the time they trim the violence, bleep the foul language and pixelate every background shot at "The Bing". :D

But you really should do the show justice and yourself a favor: Check it out on Sci-Fi to see if it is at all appealing, then rent the DVDs and enjoy the original uncut episodes (and the extras.)

Regards,

Joe

Daisy: "I once blew Babe Ruth"
Rube: "Who didnt'?"

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
It seems mighty strange for someone to go from lead in a program to doing absolutely nothing for two years.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

If that were enough to keep someone from working, Hollywood would be a very different place, and you'd never recognize most of your favorite primetime shows. :) (And Desperate Housewives probably wouldn't have been made at all. ;))

Regards,

Joe

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I heard a rumor (source, my fantasies) that she was Kristine DeBell's daughter.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I loved that show SO much - I thought it was absolutely a great balance of dark humor and real, I don't know, emotional heft. All around fabulous. SIGH.

I still have not forgiven Showtime for yanking this, even if they do have "Weeds".

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to see that someone (Sci-Fi) is keeping the memory of DLM alive. I have no reason to watch since I own both seasons on DVD, but I do know a lot of people that I have recommended the series to who still have not checked it out. Hopefully the airings on Sci-Fi will introduce the show to a lot of new fans. Who knows, it could be the very thing which resurrects the show like Fox did Family Guy and Comedy Central has done with Futurama

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

A few years ago, MadTV did a take on what syndicated reruns of The Sopranos would look like. It was freaking hilarious. You can probably find it on YouTube.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I still have to check for this, but I was told that in the 200th Episode of Stargate SG-1, at some point when Walter is walking around the studio lot, in the background is a "Dead Like Me - Season 3" poster.

Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone know if there is anything in the works to revive this great show?

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
There isn't anything like that in the works. Sorry. It was an in-joke, apparently.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I caught a pair of episodes of this on HDNet this weekend (uncut/commercial free, BTW), and am intrigued. They were the fourth and fifth episodes of season one. Ellen Muth is just so unusual in many ways. She's not particularly pretty, but she's definitely appealing. And, her really strange acting style really stands out--from her monotone voice to her quirky expressions. Just about every scene at the day job is comedy gold, and it's all because of the way she expresses herself. It's funny to see someone who doesn't know what to say, so the most bizarre things always come out of her mouth.

"We're going to this new stationary store for lunch! You want to come with?"

Her expression alone says, "Fuck no, I don't want to come with!", but then she says, "I'm one month sober today" (awkward!) "and my sponsor is taking me to the park to fly kites to celebrate." I was :laugh:ing my ass off at that. And then the increasingly awkward things coming out of Delores's mouth. Since HDNet doesn't have any more episodes scheduled, I'm definitely going to have to consider the box set. I had zero plans to watch this, but was too lazy to find the remote. I'm glad I was.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I had never heard of this series until I started getting the HDNet channel. I have been hooked and watching all the episodes, when I remember. There are only two seasons, right?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Nearly all of human progress has been the result of laziness. :) Inventions come out of some lazy guy doing something active and saying, "There's got to be an easier way of doing this." Art, literature and philosophy all started with some lazy guy saying, "I was going to go get something, but screw it. It's pretty here, I'm comfortable, and I just wanna veg out for awhile."

:D

I discovered Dead Like Me when a friend lent me the first season. Then HDNet started the reruns and I watched it all over again and then went into the second season. It is very good stuff indeed. You should definitely buy the discs. Just wait until the next time DeepDiscount.com or somebody has a "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" sale. That's how I got my sets. (And I'm glad I did since Comcast recently took over cable service in my area as part of their Adelphia acquisition and promptly dropped HDNet and HDNetMovies, so I was not able to continue watching the show in hi-def.)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yup, just the two. More's the pity. There were hints of the show going in some pretty interesting directions had there been a third.

Regards,

Joe

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was not happy to read that. Comcast is set to purchase the Insight cable, we have locally. I will be pissed if they take that off our system. What did Comcast replace HD Net and HD Net movies, with?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks