What's new

DDR Memory question (1 Viewer)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I was wondering if you can use registed DDR memory in a reagular mother board. I looked in the manual, and it didn't say one way or the other.

Harris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

The motherboard information should tell you if you are able to use DDR or SDRAM . Some motherboards will allow both, but you cannot mix and match, its either DDR or SDRAM .

Also , you may be able you look on the board itself. The slots amy say DDR or SDRAM beside them.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I know I can only use DDR. What I was wondering is if I can use registered DDR. I think they normaly put that into servers, but I am not sure.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Registered? Do you mean buffered or unbuffered? You want unbuffered. Also, you need to make sure the pin-count matches, not to mention the speed of the RAM has to match your processor. Whether that be 2600, 3200, etc. If your manual doesn't say one way or another, you DEFINATELY need to call the manufacturer and ask them. Installing incorrect RAM is a big no no.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Registered DDR is only for motherboards that support it. Usually for server mobos that have LOTS of RAM.

KyleS

Screenwriter
If your motherboard doesnt support Registerd DDR chips then they will not work. Same if you try to run regular DDR chips in a motherboard that required Registered it will not even post. As Hanson pointed out usually the only boards that need Registered are high end server boards. Check with your motherboard manufacture to see what your motherboard requires.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks