What's new

Dazed & Confused: SE in September?!? (1 Viewer)

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

Video: Widescreen 1.85:1 Color (Anamorphic)

Audio: ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
ENGLISH: DTS 5.1 [CC]
SPANISH: Dolby Digital Stereo

Features:
  • Retro Public Service Announcements
  • The Blunt Truth - Side-Splitting Institutional Filmstrip On The Dangers Of Partying
  • Nine Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes

So it appears only the commentary was dropped.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I found DAZED & CONFUSED last night. Other than having the film itself there is NOTHING special about the re-issue. No commentary or interviews with Linklater or any of the NOW stars. It is a missed opportunity and a SHAMELESS Ploy by Universal to get more $$$ out of unsuspecting consumers. Univer$al is NOW officially the WORST studio for DVD. Sorry $ONY, they just took the title away from you.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

I am disappointed that more wasn't done with this release, but how can you say that there is NOTHING special about the re-issue?

A remastered anamorphic transfer and a DTS track are big deals to me. In most cases, that is enough for me to rebuy any good movie, especially when the original DVD had a lackluster non-anamorphic transfer and a 2.0 audio track.

All the extra stuff is just fluff to me, and I will definitely pick this up regardless of what supplements it does or doesn't have.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
This one was waiting in my mailbox when I got home from work today.

I've seen this movie I don't know how many times now. Somewhere north of fifty, maybe as many as a hundred. Since I missed it in the theaters when it was released, I can easily say this is the best I've ever seen it. I can't say for certain if the elements have been improved or whether the improvement is solely due to the anamorphic enhancement.

But the real revelation is the sound upgrade to 5.1. I only have DD, so I can't comment on the DTS, I can only assume it's even better. But the sound upgrade is much more noteworthy than the video in my opinion.

The new scenes are a hoot, fleshing out some of the middling characters.

I don't know how much re-view potential it will have, but I busted a gut laughing at the mockumentary on Marijuana (Marihuana).

I think I can say this much unequivocally: if you're a big fan of this flick like I am, it's worth a double-dip, no question. If you're new to this flick, this is definitely the place to start. If you're only a casual fan of the flick and already own the previous release, I can't relate to your position and you're on your own. :)

Rob

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member

Really? How many widescreen titles has Univer$sal taken off the market and replaced with pan-and-scan-only versions?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Since I had a non-anamorphic, stereo version on LD, I never bought the original DVD version. Losing some extras is a bummer but its great to get the film in 16x9, DTS glory.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Really? How many widescreen titles has Univer$sal taken off the market and replaced with pan-and-scan-only versions?

Columbia is very notorious for douing this practice as well, as they will release a widescreen for 20 bucks, then downgrade it to fullframe for 5 bucks to wal-mart.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Yeah, I will have to agree...Universal has a long way to go to pass up Columbia/Sony as the worst studio out there.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I was able to score this Friday night.

The transfer is much improved from the LD and first DVD. While Im disappointed about the lack of a doc and commentary; I would say the transfer alone is worth an upgrade.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

They are fair. They dont serve much of a purpose in the context of the film. I can see why they were cut.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how Linklater can say Universal is "rushing the title out to make some sort of deadline" when in fact it was delayed for almost two months, from September 14th to November 2nd. Why the bad blood between the two?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I think it is because of the lack of support that Universal gave the film when it was first released and I believe the box office suffered because of it. Now that the film has become very popular on video and Universal still will not give it the treatment it deserves, I think that is just rubbing salt in the wounds.

I have noticed a trend with Universal scaling back originally planned full blown special editions. I don't know what the deal is with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks