What's new

Day of the Dead Version (1 Viewer)

Martin_K

Agent
Theres been so many versions of Day of the Day. Which is the best to get right now? Is it the Divimax one. So confused, please help. Anywhere I go, it doesn't have any comparisons between the versions.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Overall, the DiviMax version is easily the best (get the 2-disc version if you can, it has some really great supplements on disc 2), with one problem- it doesn't offer the original mono soundtrack as a viewing option, and when the film was remixed in 5.1 and 2.0 stereo, a handfull of lines of dialogue were oddly replaced with "TV-safe" dubbed versions of those lines. It happens maybe seven or eight times over the course of the film and isn't what I'd call a deal-breaker, but it's an odd error that shouldn't have happened, and cements my opinion that all DVDs that offer remixed soundtracks need to offer the original mixes as viewing options, as well.

Vincent

Martin_K

Agent
Thanks Vincent
thats sounds pleasing and displeasing at the same time. I have watched the movie several times on the scifi channel with the "TV-safe" dubs, which irritated me greatly. But as you said, this is the best version of the film out on dvd currently. I'll guess I'll pick it up strictly to have it in my collection, at least this way there aren't any 2hr long commercials.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Like I said Martin, it's only a handfull of lines that were replaced on the DVD, the majority of the original dialogue is intact. It's an odd an unfortunately error, but the pros of the DiviMax DAY OF THE DEAD far outweight this con. Hopefully, Anchor Bay will correct this mistake when DAY OF THE DEAD eventually hits HD.

Vincent

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Agreed. I've watched the DVD 4 or 5 times and still haven't noticed the dubs. Granted, I had only watched the film a hand full of times on VHS back in the day, but I still couldn't pick out the problems.

Phil.H

Auditioning
I agree that the dubs aren't really noticeable. I had read about them before the release, and was annoyed that they were included, but by the time I got around to watching it I had forgotten all about them. Other than that, it's a very good release.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Of course, this would have been a really BIG deal had Shriek Show released this title. :D

I personally don't have an issue with it but once someone tells you where the lines are altered, it does become noticeable then. It seems this was the first in a series of mistakes from AB.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

"The first is a series of mistakes"? Obviously you missed the prior Anchor Bay releases of Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA (horribly remixed sountrack and no original sountrack viewing option), or DEEP RED (altered opening and ending credits), or SLEEPAWAY CAMP (censored print), etc. etc. etc...

Vincent

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I've never understood a certain board's beef with these guys but oh well. I can't think of one release of theirs where the pros don't outweight the cons. Kinda like AB's release here IMO. Whatever quality issues they had in the past seems to be gone and they are the only company willing to give us fans certain Euro releases.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Oh come on, Michael, are you KIDDING? For one thing, the complaints about the awful company that is Shriek Show extend far beyond postings on "a certain board". Shriek Show has consistently been the WORST genre lable out there and this has been discussed on MANY websites! From cut prints, to hiring psychotic cretins to work for them, to not flagging their film-based releases or progressive-scan playback, etc. etc. etc., they simply suck in every way imaginable...

How could you possibly defend them?

Vincent

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Agreed here. :emoji_thumbsup:

As far as defending them, as you said in regards to this DVD, the pros outweight the cons. From the titles I own, their "cut prints" aren't any worse than some of the stuff mentioned in this thread. The progressive thing is another problem but one I'm willing to overlook (just like Warner/MGM's refusal to do 16x9 1.66).

There's no denying their early record but when it comes to these Euro releases, there's not one studio that gets it right everytime out. However, overall I've been most happy with SS and I'm glad to see they recently got the rights to various Fulci titles. If not *BU, I'd much rather see every Euro title in their hands especially after recent releases including their D'Amato titles and GRIZZLY, which I picked up over the weekend.

*I could also name Synapse but none of their releases over the past few years have interested me.

To the original poster, overstock.com has the 2-disc DAY available for $8 shipped but the last I checked there were only a couple copies left.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Hasn't Anchor Bay f***ed up at least as many titles as Media Blasters? My god, all the Argentos they released are effed up in some annoying way except for OPERA and PHENOMENA, aren't they?

In Media Blasters' (Shriek Show's) defense, I will say that I'm absolutely ecstatic with their Japanese sci-fi/monster film releases. I own ATRAGON, MATANGO, VARAN, and THE MYSTERIANS...excellent discs all, uncut with various audio options including original Japanese mono (and often English dub mono) along with various remixes and audio commentaries. I can't wait to pick up DOGORA and SPACE AMOEBA.

Although, I have yet to pick up any of their Euro-Cult titles, because I've heard about f***ups on many of them. I did hear that WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO SOLANGE? is perfection.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
The Opera transfer itself was fine except the original pressing of the DVD (the special 2 disc edition) was defective. Phenomena is good though I believe it is non-anamorphic. I have the 2-disc Divimax of Day of the Dead and the dubs are quite noticeable to me. The consensus was the audio track came from an old Japanese release (I can't say that for sure) and someone either didn't care or didn't notice the dubs. As I said, I did buy the Divimax edition with great hesitation because I make as much effort as possible to NOT buy things that have been edited in any way. Unfortunately, I was ignorant when it came to Deep Red, Tenebre, Suspiria (though Bill Lustig stands by the DVD so that one has never been settled IMO but that's for another thread...heh). Either way, Day of the Dead is highly underrated and a definite recommend. The transfer is the best out there and while the dubs are unfortunate, it's not horrible.

henry stobbe

Auditioning
I absolutely agree.

This dvd was such a treat. I live in Canada, and as a teen, always wanted an uncut version. In Canada about 9 minutes was cut on the vhs tape, back in the day. (IIRC 91 min run time vs 100 min.) I found an uncut vhs copy and treasured it for many years. I still have the tape for nostalgic purposes. So I guess I am happy with my 12-14 year old vhs and the wonderful dvd!!:D

Sorry for getting a little off topic.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
So is there a list anywhere or can someone post the lines that were changed? I watched this disc a few months ago and I remember all the f words still being there so I'm curious to know what got changed.

Also, does anyone know if the first single disc release from Anchor Bay has the original dialogue?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Hank:

The original non-anamorphic disc has the original mono soundtrack, but the picture quality is pretty awful. Compression-artifacts, thy name is DAY OF THE DEAD original non-amamorphic edition...

I hoenstly can't recall the handfull of dubbed words/lines off-hand- they were noticeable as I watched the film, but they are only a handfull of lines, so until HD coems along (and hopefully a corrected soundtrack), the DiviMax DAY OF THE DEAD really is worth having.

Wait, so you discount Synapse because you personally aren't interested the titles they've released recently? What about the quality of the product itself? I'd entrust Synapse with anything over Shriek Show any day of the week, and not just because Don and I are friends, but because I know Don knows his shit and knows how to properly master a DVD, among other things. Just because you personally aren't interested in the recent titles Synapse has released does not change the fact that they are easily among the most consistently excellent independent DVD labels on the market in terms of quality.

Vincent

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
My post came out the wrong way. :) Synapse is certainly the top grade among these labels but it doesn't do much for me since I'm not really seeking out their new releases. I'd certainly rather have them holding the Fulci and D'amato stuff but since it's SS, I'm happy. I've been happy with the majority of SS titles I do own and I'm looking forward to what they've got coming up. It seems they're finally getting their act together while AB seems to be falling back.

**I would have bought Synapse's NAILGUN MASSACRE but I went ahead and passed since I bought that version from the director. I'd rather have the Synapse version but it's hard for me to throw away that $30 DVD and upgrade for a film like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks