What's new

Dark Water (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Now that it's almost July, I'm really looking forward to this film! Walter Salles is an incredible director and the cast is top notch. Anyone else think it has potential? Has Jennifer Connolly carried a movie before?

If you haven't seen any of the trailers yet, this site seems to have them all: http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5093

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Has Jennifer Connelly carried a movie before?"

Labyrinth, Career opps, House of Sand and Fog.

Looks like a good suspenseful flick, I'll see it first day.

Brent

I guess I should see the first one eh!

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Um...I would have never seen the movie Hot Spot if I didn't know Miss Connelly was topless in that one. Career Opportunities left me wanting...more.:b

As for Dark Water, I think Hideo Nakata has dug into the "well" (man, I crack myself up) too many times on this one.

Heroine, check.
Creepy kid, check.
Water themed, check.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'll see it for Jennifer, just as I did for the Sarah in the Grudge and Naomi in the Ring.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Good call on Jennifer's other movies...seems like she has a pretty good track record. I have faith that this version of Dark Water will be more than just a sum of the parts you mentioned, Hunter. I read an interview up from Jennifer and it sounds like we'll get a little more character development than we may have seen before. And she sounds actually genuinely upbeat about this movie...always nice when actors actually like their work! i think you can find the interview here if you want to see it: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9930http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9930

What audience do you think it'll attract? Think it'll skew male or female?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
One blurb in Entertainment Weekly said that greater story coherence was a bad thing for the remake since the original was atmospheric, weird, etc. But Western audiences tend to like a little concreteness to their stories, which the director of the Grudge found a tad frustrating when making the U.S. version. It is kind of humorous - you kind of picture the United States as that kid that can't stop asking "Why?"

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Interesting info, Guo Xiang. I'm planning to see the original before Dark Water opens on July 8 so I can compare. I'll be looking out for the differences in atmospheric vs. concreteness...

Read what I think is the first review (at least that I've seen) in Rolling Stone...and its looking good for Jennifer :)

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...region=triple2

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator
I've already seen the original Japanese Dark Water and I loved it like I loved the original Ringu. The previews for the new Dark Water look really good. I think Jennifer Connely was a good choice as lead in this film.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I haven't seen it myself, just going by this review from Entertainment Weekly:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for this info. All I can say is that I didn't find it baffling when I watched it. It was fairly oblique (at least by Western story-telling standards) and was obviously using some Eastern story-telling metaphors, but I didn't think it was particularly hard to follow.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Got to see it last night! Tagged along with a few friends to a preview :) Still haven't seen the original but can't imagine this Dark Water will disappoint...it was very creepy and Jennifer definitely delivered (and looked amazing, for those interested in those sorts of things ;) ). I was also really impressed by the little girl's acting...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'll see this one, it looks very well put together, plus I liked both The Ring and The Grudge.

As for miss Connely being the most beautiful woman who's ever lived, my two ladies Madchen Amick and Anne Hathaway (especially Anne) would have somethng to say about that. :D ;)

Jennifer's too thin now IMO, she was un-freaking-believable in Career Opprotunities, The Hot Spot and The Rocketeer! So luminous, so voluptuous, so...(shakes head vigorously to snap out of it)...i'm cool now. ;)

Colton

Supporting Actor
I went to see this last night (Advance Screening) and I was not impressed with this movie at all. I'm tired of all the cheap scares (water, hair, and dead girls) that are overused in every Japanese remake. God, think of something new. We've seen it all in The Ring and The Grudge ... Dark Water offers NOTHING new. The story is too predictable and bland. Cheap thrills:

Dead girl who was in water tank for over three weeks looked as if she's been there for only thirty minutes. No budget for a dead looking corpse?

Jennifer held this movie together, but the story was all wet to begin with.

Dark Water - :thumbsdown: Doesn't whet your appetite for scares.

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks