What's new

Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Has anyone tried out this rumor? The album "Dark side of the moon" by Pink Floyd seems to be in sync with the Wizard of Oz if you start it right after the MGM lion roars the third time.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I've been suggesting that the pending hi-rez "Dark Side of the Moon" release should include "Wizard of Oz" as visual companion.
How to set it up
What to look for
To give it a bit of legitimacy, TCM (Turner Classic Movies) used to have their own site devoted to this "oddity".

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It's coincidence and it's got to be said that the 'links' are pretty tenuous.

I think it's worth pointing out that whilst The Wizard of Oz is a much-loved and watched movie in the USA, it's not hugely popular in the UK, and Floyd are a British band (and were very much UK-based at the time of writing DSOTM). It's also worth noting that a fair chunk of the songs from DSOTM had been written some time before the band went into the studio (as any listener to PF bootlegs will testify), making it even more unlikely that the synchronicity was deliberately planned. And, ... oh Jeez, why am I treating this dumb theory seriously?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I tried it.
It's actually very cool.
I can't say whether it was intentional or not, but it doesn't really matter, does it?
Start the album when the MGM lion roars for the second time and prepare to be astonished.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
are you supposed to play both sources at volume? or do you have the album turned up and just watch the video? or vice versa? or....

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I remember reading once that The Wizard of Oz was one of David Gilmour's favorite movies as a kid.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
The claymation "Pinocchio" movie from way back when also synchs up well with the AC/DC boxset. My buddies and I were just enjoying both when it appeared that Pinocchio was singing "Back In Black"!!! Good times...

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know either if it was intentional but it is extremely fun to do. I had a party a few years ago with this being the focal point and everyone was amazed including myself. I would say that the first half of the movie/album is quite amazing and the second half you kind of have to stretch a bit to make it really seem to fit. Just my observations.

Ike

Screenwriter
Done it, and it's very fun. While you're at it, try the other well known one-Echoes from Meddle, and the end section of 2001. Both are cool.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I can say, as someone who has sat and striped in soundtracks on 4 different movies now, your brain makes a lot of connections "fit" where there really are none. Actions fall on beat, changes in mood in song seem to reflect mood on screen, lyric line up with actions-- all strictly by coincidence.

It's really neat when it happens, and usually prompts a dozen smiles in the room- but I have always seen the Wizard and Dark Side connection to be the same sort of thing.

-Vince

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
HERE"S the site that kicked this whole thing into overdrive years ago (circa 1994), although it had certainly been talked about many years prior to that.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
There's also a synchronicity between "Echoes" on PF's "Meddle" album and the Stargate sequence in "2001: A Space Odyssey". It's pretty cool... :)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The claymation "Pinocchio" movie from way back when also synchs up well with the AC/DC boxset. My buddies and I were just enjoying both when it appeared that Pinocchio was singing "Back In Black"!!! Good times...
That's a funny coincidence, when I was in high school my friends and I synchronized "For Those About To Rock" and an episode of Gomer Pyle USMC. It was hilarious.

It's all silly. Everyone points out the things that seem to be synchronized while ignoring everything that is not synchronized.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
And to add to Chuck's points, I would imagine that the number of coincidences escalate with a fantasy film such as Oz and an ethereal concept album like DSOTM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks