What's new

Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Chuck,

The syncs between the album and the movie are a bit more interesting than just what you mention in your post.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't think for a second that it is intentional, however I will never see The Wizard of OZ in the same light again. The juxtaposition between the light and happy images in OZ and the dark tone of DSOTM is striking....if coincidental.

Ike

Screenwriter
Like people have said, it's best to understand it's probably not intentional, but it's fun. The syncs are better than your examples, Chuck. Have you tried it, and were just disappointed?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
When I was in college, the school's TV station aired Oz with Dark Side, so we didn't have to do any synching. It was pretty cool. Most of the listed "coincidences" aren't anything special, but it is fun to watch. My favorite thing was how the tornado synced up with On the Run.

I've never heard about Echoes and 2001? At one point during the film are you supposed to start playing the song? I'd love to try this.

Ike

Screenwriter
Yes, the sync on Meddle and 2001 fits better than Oz and Dark Side (but Dark Side's still cool).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
your brain makes a lot of connections "fit" where there really are none.
Vince beat me to it. Your brain will reject all the misses and latch onto that one coincidence. Take any piece of music and play it over any video... there will likely be some interesting matches. We used to do this (VH1 audio over metal video, etc.).

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
My friends and I used to do this a lot back in college. They were all musicians and I'm just a goof showman. If you can find a modern VCR with a mic or have a videocard that outputs svideo/composite feed, you can save your little creations forever.

We found that the most important factor was the mood of the particular song and the speed. Any beat similarities or lip syncing is just a nice bonus. Playing Floyd with fantasy video is a good match as the beat is fairly slow and the mood is very open. The fantasy backdrop and tempo of OZ would match that perfectly.

My personal favorite:

"Squeeze my Macaroni" by Mr. Bungle, synced to start with the chariot race from Ben Hur. Love to post it for all to enjoy, but I think both Bungle's label and the movie studio would aggressively sue me into a cardboard box by next week.

Also, any metal bands (Mettalica, etc.) playing over nature shows where animals are hunting each other is a real hoot. Makes you think nature is one big ol' mess of evil beasties.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I've seen this done at a party and I didn't see much. Since this is Dark Side of the Moon we're talking about, maybe you have to be really stoned to get anything out of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks