Does DSOTM and The Wizard of Oz really sync up?

Discussion in 'Music' started by NickSo, Jun 25, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    is the alleged 'synching' of Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz very apparent, or just merely coincidental?

Just curious... remembering the line in Family Guy when Peter mentions it.

2. Jay P.

Jay P. Auditioning

Yes, it does! Start the CD on the 2nd roar from the MGM lion.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I assume you can sync the 8-track up too- I'll try that with my CED videodisc of Wizard Of Oz [​IMG]

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I did it. It works.

5. George See

George See Second Unit

I'd say it's got some uncanny coincidences and it's fun to do at least once just for a laugh.

On a somewhat related note earlier in the year I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band play DSOTM live while a screen in the background showed the wizard of oz, this was for the anniversary of DSOTM. That was pretty interesting.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

If you want to be really creative, form a band a write a whole album that synches upto the second half of the Wizard of OZ. Personally, when I form a band, my album will synch upto Nekromantik. My band name will be : Hitler stole my potato.

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

While part of me would love to believe it, I think there are two big obstacles:

1. Getting DSOTM to synch with TWOO would have required an impossible amount of work.

2. If they someohow did it, how could all of the band members (and Alan Parsons) keep it under wraps for 20+ years?

It is great fun to tell the theory to people who haven't heard it before!

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
  9. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I especially like the part where Dorothy Walks thru the (Black & White) Door into the Colorized OZ just as the Money starts to jingle on the song Money.

10. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

I tried it and didn't find it to be more than some interesting coincidences. I think it is just the way the human brain works, we remember the 'hits' and forget the 'misses'. You will remember the times when things seem to coincide (hits) and forget the majority of times when the music doesn't match up with the movie at all (misses). I imagine you could play any album along with any movie with the sound turned off and find just as many coincidences. We actually used to do that as kids. We would turn the sound down on the tv and play an album to see what funny coincidences would happen. Plenty of them did, even where you wouldn't expect them (like listening to Pyromania while watching General Hospital with no sound).

MikeP

11. BrianMB

BrianMB Agent

On New Year's Eve 2001, we had some friends over and I of course had 2001: A Space Oddessy playing with the sound off but had a Fila Brazillia's Mess cd playing. It synced up many times in really cool ways[​IMG]

12. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely right. And the supposedly amazing coincidences don't even coincide that well. I mean, anyone who really thinks that the Munchkins are dancing to "Us and Them" must have absolutely no sense of rhythm.

Also, people are using the CD and DVD for the synch. Newsflash, folks: CDs and DVDs didn't exist in 1973. For Pink Floyd to work on synching an album to a movie, they would have had to be running a tape machine alongside a movie projector, which means that every pass would vary by a few seconds from the previous one due to tape-speed variations, projector reel changes, etc. And the cross-fade between "The Great Gig in the Sky" and "Money" didn't exist until the CD appeared; DSOTM on CD is actually very slightly shorter than its original incarnation.

Besides, if Pink Floyd wanted to release an unofficial soundtrack to The Wizard of Oz, don't you think they would have put out an album that was as long as the movie instead of one that you have to play 1.5 times?

13. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

What would be really neat is if MGM could work out an arrangement for a DSOTM alternate audio track right on the DVD!

I'm sure it would almost double the cost of the Wizard of Oz DVD due to alternate studio's rights fees, but it would more than likely be such a huge hit that all parties involved would probably be more than happy with the eventual compensation.

What would really make this fly would be:
    1. Re-issue "The Wizard of Oz" as a two-disc DVD, one-disc CD package (Since the rights fees for the DSOTM album are going to be included, the original CD should also be tossed-in as well.)
    2. The transfer should be all-new, with a digital restoration by Lowry Digital Imaging (which, by the way, has been looking for an excuse to try out their new higher resolution toys on this movie.)
    3. Include all the bonus features that were provided on the original excellent DVD on the second disc, along with a new feature regarding the DSOTM tie-in.

I would expect that a box like this would probably MSRP for between $39.95-to-$49.95.

Man, I'd purchase that package in an instant!

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Turner Classic Movies actually aired The Wizard of Oz with the album running as the secondary audio track.

This would be an interesting DVD feature, although Warner owns the film now, not MGM.

15. andrew markworthy

A new series demonstrating the tragedy of what happens when people have way too much time on their hands. This week: DSOTM and TWOO synchronise.

In future weeks:
    Paul is dead - the proof
    How oil companies are blocking the water-driven engine
    Secret satanic signs on detergent packets

And many more!

16. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

DSOTM synchronizes better with the Death Star Battle in Star Wars: ANH. Much more fun to watch than The Wizard of Oz.

As for 2001, try synchronizing Pink Floyd's 'Echoes' to Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite. It's dead-on.

17. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    As I recall, someone once released a movie consistng of Beatles music synched up with World War II video footage. I think it was called "All This and World War II". Really.

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

IMDB is your friend:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132679/

And I'm pretty sure all the Beatles songs were covers. I know Rod Stewart's version of "Get Back" is from the flick's soundtrack...

19. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

The Echoes and Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite portion of 2001 is an awesome sync. Much better than the Wizard of Oz one because the Wizard of Oz seems to be more of a lyrical sync while the Echoes one the music goes perfectly with the scene(and is even the same length).

20. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Anyone who has watched the Classic Albums Dark Side DVD or knows the making of the album in general would know they had their hands full making the album back in the early 70's. There are 2 scenarios I can imagine:

1) Someone walks into the Abbey Road studio where Floyd are recording Dark Side and says loudly, "Hey let's make sure this album sync's well with The Wizard of Oz!" At which point Alan Parsons throws an unopened beer can at the persons head.

2) Someone back in the 80's or 90's gets really stoned and listens to Dark Side while coincidentally Wizard of Oz is playing on CBS. "Dude this works so well together!"

[​IMG]