What's new

Daredevil R-Rated version? (1 Viewer)

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
Yeah, Coolio had a pretty big part in the movie, but they deleted him completely from the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if this R rated version came out in a few months.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Great, do we really need to spend another 30 dollars so we can have Coolio in the movie? They should have just included those scenes as extras on the first release. Yeah I admit it was destracting to see Coolio sitting there in one scene and then not seeing anything else about his character, but that happens all the time in movies. It wasn't important so they cut it. I would like to see more of the fight scenes uncut, just maybe so they're a little easier to follow but it's not like there's any major graphic vilolence that was cut as far as I know.

My guess is that they'll hold off on this a while, maybe untill when the sequel or prequel comes out.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe on this R rated cut they can include the scene were ben affleck cuts off the head of the guy in the bar, beats the head against the table an kicks it football style out the window, stabs the body, and throws it down the stairs. THAT WOULD BE SO COOL.:D

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
You can go to superherohype.com and search the boards for msj, which is the username the director, Mark Steven Johnson, posts under. Just a few days ago he posted that he had finished editing the new version, which will be about 20 minutes longer, and calls for some re-structuring of the film. He said that they were right now in the mixing stage, but he couldn't promise the release date. He said there was a possibility they would release it to promote the Elektra film. So, no decision just yet on the release date.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Well, to save everyone else the search time, here are the pertinent comments I found:

Around March 2003:

"The Director's cut will NOT be a branching version, but a variation on the theatrical release. It will include 30 minutes that were cut from the film which are not just scenes dropped into the current cut, but that, at times, will actually change the course of the movie. It's not necessarily better or worse than the theatrical release (that's up to you to decide) but it is different. It will interesting to compare them."

On 7-16-03:

"I'm sitting on the mixing stage right now, finishing the Director's Cut. It's 35 minutes of additional footage (nearly 1/3 of the theatrical running time). Thank God for DVD. It will be up to you to decide if it's indeed better or not, but rest assured it's a very different version of the movie. No release date is set yet, they may wait and use it to kick off the Elektra movie. But know that it is definitely being done and it will indeed include everything that was cut from the theatrical release. There is the murder case that Matt and Foggy take, lots of courtroom drama, Matt's own investigation into the case, heaps 'o violence, and the Kingpin gets to show why he's such a bad ass. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long!"

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Does anyone know just how long the original DD was? I don't think it was quite 2 hours long. I'm definitely looking forward to more Kingpin, and it wouldn't hurt to have a little more of the romance either. It seems like they only have one date before they're all in love.
Also, I wish more directors were as open about their projects as Mark Steven Johnson is. Not only does he keep updating us, but he'll even admit to flaws. In another post on that site he says that if they do DD2 the fight scenes will be much better because now they know what they're doing. He said that even though there are many shots and moments he loves, they are also some that make him cringe. That kind of honesty is refreshing and makes me look forward to the commentary. He was probably thinking of some of the CGI used in the Cathedral fight.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I hope they include the original edit in whatever set they make. It'd be nice to have something along the lines of Almost Famous : bootleg.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Ghost Rider.

htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Johnson says the omission explains another blooper you can spot in the current DVD: "He and the Kingpin have their big fight, and you hear the sirens coming and Matt Murdock says, 'They're coming for you, Kingpin.' And you're going Why? Why suddenly now? It makes no sense. There's a whole subplot leading up to that moment."
That was one of my biggest problems with the theatrical version - so I might actually get the expanded version.
Maybe some of the other plot holes will also be filled.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The director made a few more comments about the director's cut on Superherohype.com on 7/30:

"Glad to hear everybody digs the DVD. John Medford and the guys at Sparkhill did a great job. I'm really happy that all the creators and artists who gave the devil his due finally got theirs. The Director's Cut has no release date as of yet but will definitely be released and will either be rated R or Unrated. It's not only interesting to see what's added (which is over 30 minutes of story) but what has been deleted as well (i.e. no love scene, no confessionals--both for very good reasons which you'll see). You'll all have to let me know what you think in the end. Also, I think everyone knows about the Easter Egg on the DVD (blooper reel) but nobody has mentioned the little tag after the Hell's Kitchen documentary. Check it out--10 seconds into the credits. DD does the superhero bit and gets electrocuted for his troubles!"

TysonK

Agent
Does anybody know if the supplements on the current Daredevil disc will be carried over to the new director's cut disc?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'm glad I saw this thread. I have not seen this movie. I will rent the current version, and if I like it, I will probably wait and buy the extended version.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Beat me to it Ray...I was gonna post that from Superherohype boards...

The DC is gonna be amazing considering right now I consider DareDevil to be the best comic movie behind Superman and The Crow...the DC might actually push it above The Crow...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
And the DC that Josh was refering to wasn't DC Comics...it was the Daredevil Director's Cut.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I hope the first reports of a December release are right. I dont want to wait 2 years for the sequel to pick Daredevil up.

I also told 5 guys at the gym that the R rated Dir Cut is due in Dec so they put of getting the current release and I dont want to make those guys angry:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks