What's new

Dangit, I lost my sunglasses. What should I replace them with? (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I personally love my Oakley square wire thick frame sunglasses. No plastic lenses on these babies and it makes me look like an Asian hit man. :D
Patrick

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Black Fly's has 3 polarized styles. Micro Fly, Mach II, Fly Bait , "fly's" are cool, but a bit pricey.
I wear 420's which my pair is not polarized.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Carl,
Your $5.00 sunglasses are costing you your eyesight. When your eyes are covered by a tinted lens, lowering the amount of visable light available, your pupils dilate to compensate. This allows far greater amounts of UV to enter your eyes than wearing no glasses at all. Few cheap sunglasses have UV filtering so you literally cook your retinas. Even filtered lenses often remove limited amounts or types UV. You would be better off squinting!
Polarization takes the scattered light coming from all directions and aligns it as it passes through the lens. When the lightwaves exit, they are parallel. This increases resolution, sharpens contrasts and adds vibrance to colors.
Go try on a pair high end shades. Demo them outside. You will like them.
It's a small amount of money to extend good vision by years, increase outside comfort daily and possibly look groovy to boot!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
Mark R O

that is a very nice explanation. i was going to ask the same question about why oh why people spend a lot of money just for a pair of sunglasses. well i learn lots of things in these forums! i didnt even know why pilots need to wear cool sunglasses, now i know why.

but do you guys spend lots of your time outside? my grandpa ( he died at 79 years old ) had never used any sunglasses, yet he spent lots of time jogging. yet he didnt get any catarac or something like that.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
i didnt even know why pilots need to wear cool sunglasses
oh never fear, a lot of them just wear them to look cool :D
next time you're on a commercial flight maybe you'll notice now that you're aware of it, but it's bright as hell up there, even in the clouds up in the pointy end it's pretty bright.

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
I've had Serengetti's for about nine years with amber lenses. I used to drive about 50,000 miles a year and felt I needed better protection. While I liked the way the amber lenses brightened up everything, even in rainy weather, on sunny days they don't cut through the glare on oncoming windshields. Not a big deal but I like to know if the driver is looking at me or eating a Big Mac or putting on makeup. Polarized are great for glare and a must if you are a fisherman. Spend what you can afford. Some people lose them or sit on them all the time so cheap is good for them. I would never go too cheap though.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I've been wearing Oakley Squarewire 2.0's for about a year now and I love them, they are comfortable and stylish. I have silver frames with ice blue lenses.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
What does "polarized" mean?
Also, my soft contacts have UV protection. (or filtering?) Either way, do I need to pay attention to the UV on sun glasses? I won't where sun glasses without contacts.;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Polarized lenses, in basic terms filters light that hits the lenses at a certain angle, in effect, reducing glare coming off reflections from water/snow/asphalt/ground. Basically it kind of acts like a filter, allowing certain amount of horizontal light through while filtering many or most of the vertical orientated light that hits the lenses, thereby reducing glare off of the sun's reflections off objects.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglasses/polarized.htm
Has a little more desciption on it.
Check out www.sierratradingpost.com for some cool sunglass discounts too, unless you have to get the latest and greatest or top-of-the-line ones...
Check out the Rudy Projects too, they're great sport sunglasses that have a custom fit to them. They're about $100.
Jay

Brett_H

Second Unit
Speaking as a former Sunglass Hut employee, I'm sold on Revo lenses. The best combination of UV filtration, optics, and light balance I've found. I've never been a fan of polarized lenses because they always seemed to distort images in a way my eyes (or brain?) were sensitive to. Revo makes a polarized lens (the H2O) also.

The problem with Revo's is the price: the pairs that I currently have retailed for around $275. I paid way less than half of that, but the average consumer doesn't have that luxury...

We never carried Maui Jim while I worked there (about 7 years ago), so I have no personal experience with them.

As for the prescription sunglass idea, the concept of buying a pair of sunglasses to have a custom lens ground for them never made sense to me. When I buy a pair of sunglasses, I'm buying them first and foremost for the lens properties. Why would you want to ditch that and go with a "normal" glass/plastic lens? I can understand the style issue, but to me that's the only reason this makes sense.

-Brett.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks