Dangit, I lost my sunglasses. What should I replace them with?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Jun 27, 2002.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I'm not happy. during this past week I have somehow lost my sunglasses. I was wearing a $200-some pair of Maui Jim polarized shades. they served me well, I liked the idea of polarization.

Everyone around me seems to have/ or be buying Oakley shades of some kind, I guess that's the current style?? / has been for a while?

I went into the sunglass hut today and told him I lost my Maui Jim's, and he immediately tells me that if I want polarized I should get Maui Jim's. He showed me 2 styles: one was virtually the same as my old ones, the "Maui Jim Sunset Sport" for $178 Canadian, pretty much what I paid for the last ones, and he also shows me a Maui Jim "Titanium Sport Medkap" which had tiny wire (titanium) frames that were all flexible and weighed just a couple of grams I bet... I like these ones better but they were $350 bucks. ouch.

What are you guys wearing this season? (I wouldn't even mind trying a colored frame, blue or something)...

And, is there anywhere in Canada where you can buy sunglasses for less than retail??

thanks gang...

2. Russell B

Russell B Stunt Coordinator

I went to Sunglass Hut a few days ago and bought the "Predator 2" style Ray Bans. They are the style worn by Tommy Lee Jones in MIB. They cost $99 + tax.
    While supplies last you get one free movie ticket for MIB 2. I use to own Oakley but wanted something different.

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Paul, I'm a die hard Serengeti fan, though I've never tried polarized lenses from them. I don't even know if they carry polarized actually, but in my book they're the best sunglasses out there quality wise.
    I did buy a polarized pair from Bolle a couple years ago and wasn't thrilled with polarized lenses personally, though no fault of Bolle.
    You may also want to check out Vuarnet which makes excellent sunglasses and sets reasonable prices for polarized lenses last I looked, which was last year.
    Can't help with below retail prices, but
    Sunglasses Internationale has excellent service and decent prices on some brands

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Oakley's, no question. I myself have a pair of 5's and love them. The titanium and magnesium ones are VERY nice as well, same with the wire frames.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't do oakleys. I flat out refuse to pay $100+ for plastic lenses.
    i'm very fond of ray ban orbs titaniums, picked up a pair online for 140 bucks or so and they've been great, very comfortable, outstanding UV protection and ground glass lenses. Non polarized, I avoid polarized simply because the odd airplane has polarized windows

anyway, I'd reccomend hitting sunglasses hut or wherever to find what you want, then shop online. the markup on glasses seems pretty big.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I love my Ray-Bans. I've been wearing Gatsby Metal Tea-Cup Black/Gray for the last year or so. If something happened to them, I'd probably get an identical pair.

My boss, who is a race car driver in his spare time, swears by Serengetti glasses, but admits that that is a personal preference, and Ray-Ban is just as good. I'll have to check 'em out sometime.

I've worn Oakleys and things like that in the past, but they never really did it for me.

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The more expensive Oakley's have glass lenses AFAIK.

8. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

I wear a pair of $9.99 Walmart specials, thats the most I'd ever spend. [​IMG]

9. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Craziness. I just got a pair of $200-some Maui Jim's and I _love_ them. I've never had polarized lenses before and, coupled with the nice styling, I'm very pleased. Just to continue my personal-preference babbling, I looked at some Oakley's and just didn't like how small the lenses were vertically. They look great on some people, but I must have a tall face or something.
    Also, adding to the plastic vs. metal frame discussion, I have been wearing some Gargoyles for the past 5 or so years. Since I moved to Houston a year ago, they've really deteriorated b/c of the heat. The rubber tips and nosepieces have literally melted and become gooey/tacky. This happened once before when I mistakenly left them out on the dash of my car on a sunny day (in the Pac NW). I sent them in and they replaced the rubber pieces, but rather than trying that again, I decided to get some metal frames that might stand up better to the Houston heat [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, and I was really hoping to get some RayBans, but they didn't have any that were polarized and had mirrored lenses. [​IMG] So I opted for the slightly more expensive Maui Jim's. *shrug*

10. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

On a related topic, how do I buy "quality"" sunglasses if I wear prescription glasses? Currently, I have the cheap flip type ones that fit over my Guess frame and Hi-index glass lenses.

I've been checking the local optical stores....US$200 for a set of prescription sunglasses. Is this my only real option? TIA.

Dave

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm curious about that too david, oakleys have some info about prescription glasses, otherwise I think you can buy the frames or glasses you like and have lenses cut to fit for your prescription, people I know have gone that route and I'm also considering it.

12. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

I just bought my second pair of Maui Jim's, and doubt I will ever return to Ray Ban and the like. Best optics going.
    FYI!! This pair lists for $240.00, bought them at Costco for $99.00!

13. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Why do you spend so much on sunglasses? I don't think I've ever spent more than $5 on a pair. Does a $200 pair of sunglasses do something my $5 pair doesn't?

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    What do you plan on doing with those sunglasses? Ski, water sports, bike, or just casual????

Me, I have a couple,

1)a set of Smith Slider SL02's-$50 from Sierra Trading Post with 3 lenses (not polarized)- yellow, clear and dark brown
    These I commute on and have my little bike mirror. CPSC etc and keeps rocks and crap out of my eyes. UVA and all that stuff too. Lens are good and they are interchangeable and those three colors are *included*... Great set at a reasonable price.. But they're not polarized though. I use these for casual use too.

2) Briko Sprinter 1's These were abuot $99 retail and they're one pieces. Lenses are OK, not as good as the Smith's or the Oakleys. I use these mountain biking because they give more vision (like the Oakleys and other one-piece lense system) but like the Oakley M-frames, a little over the top for casual wearing.

3)Oakley M-frame (sweep) regular black lense. Best lenses in the business (IMO) but the frames are cheap, break easily although Oakley has a decent replacement policy, who wants to get stuck out of sunglasses in the summer for a few weeks. The arms don't tend to hold to my head as well as the brikos or the smiths.

Depending on what you want to do with it, for biking, you want something to kill any road glare or be shatterproof for mountainbiking. I can't count the number of chips I get in my lenses from riding some 5k miles a year...

For watersports, definitely go with something polarized as you get huge glare off the waves in high sun... same thing skiing at altitude... glacier glasses, etc.

a pricier sunglasses will give you alot better optics which to some athletes is important, however there is a point as in everything you buy where it becomes rediculous. But that price point is different for everybody. Obviously you do not need $300 oakleys to walk to the local grocery. But if one is truly serious about their hobby/sport, and spends hours in the saddle like I do, I require sunglasses which will protect my eyes from not only the usual UVA/UVB stuff but also rocks and branches and stuff. Some cheap sunglasses give certain people headaches too so that would suck.

Jay

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Ray Ban Aviator.

True classics never go out of style.
    (Print can never express true feelings. Just go watch Bride of Chucky...that's how I'm saying that.)

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I love Serengetti's myself but style is a personal thing.

18. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I'm a Serengetti fan too. I've had a couple of pairs an absolutely love them. I've tried on the Maui Jim's and liked them a lot but I can't justify spending quite that much. I've also owned Oakley and Vaurnet sunglasses. The Oakley's were okay and I hated the Vaurnet, they were a gift. I just don't like the lens shade on the Vaurnet, the completely distort colors.

19. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

One of my teachers told me he has a friend that's an optomitrist and he asked him about sunglasses. The doc recommended Maui Jim's, but my teacher is a real cheapskate. So, he asks the doc to write a prescription for them. He gets them for half price because insurance picks up part of the tab. I know on my plan only one pair of glasses are covered every two years, but others that don't have serious prescriptions and want nice sunglasses could give it a try.

20. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

[​IMG]
    Diesel Tungsten. It doesn't get much cooler IMO.