What's new

Dang wires! (1 Viewer)

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting really frusterated right now. My receiver has great front speaker speaker terminals (the normal twist the knob kind) but then for the surround speakers it uses the little lever type speaker terminals and I just cannot get the speaker wire to fit in the super tiny hole. Is there a technique for doing this, or something I could buy to make this easier?

Thanks a ton
Eric

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Good point Philip. I just find them easier to use because I have poor access to the back of the receiver. Its much easier to push those in than wire.

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
So I would be losing some quality in the sound if I used those clips, because I have 12 gauge wire?

Thanks

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Using pins is not the same as using smaller guage wire. With long runs of lower guage wire you start running into issues of growing resistance. With 12awg wire along the bulk of the run and then stepping it down over less than an inch you have an extremely minimal resistance gain. How audible all of this is is questionable but if you already have the 12awg I'd definitely go with clips.

Think about it this way, the extremely short runs of wire inside the receiver aren't 12awg, likely they're 20awg or smaller... so a very short run of 18awg accross the clip isn't going to introduce any more resistance (probably less) than the longest run of wire internally.

As for the propper wire guage to use in long runs to your surrounds, this webpage is very educational and gives a few good rules of thumb.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I've run into that problem before. I assume the speaker wire you are using is stranded. Just clip off a couple of strands back against the insulation until it fits. Better than using the pins IMHO.

-Dave

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd go with the pins for convinience, that's the main reason I use bananas. No audible signal loss and much better for moving things around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks