What's new

Picked up a XBR-75X940E (1 Viewer)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
First impressions, coming from a 65" E6 OLED (keeping in mind no pitch black room viewing yet):

• Doesn't look big sitting there, but dang when its on from 9.5 feet, took a little getting used to. Going to be great during movies.
  • As expected, motion is much better than the OLED. After some testing I settled on Standard MotionFlow mode, which is what I used on my 930C when I had it. Saw a little artifacting on Smoothness 3 (Still not near as much as an LG's TruMotion), and it did not present in live content on Standard, so knowing Standard is 650 lines of motion rez, Ill just go with it. Now it is a tad soapy, but I actually prefer that, so YMMV.
  • Video processing in familiar content streaming and Directv is very surprising. I see less noise in the lower quality feeds than on a 65" OLED, but they do not generally do as well as an LCD in that area. The cool thing is, the content is blown up 10" more and mostly looks as good or better. On Amazon and Netflix high quality streams from an X800, I think the image is cleaner than the 65" was.
  • HDR on Netflix and Blu-ray looks great, and it def has the nit power.
  • Styling wise its a lovely display, and I love the wire hiding panels and the way they disappear in the stand legs.
  • Screen uniformity on mixed content looks great.
  • Really happy with Cinema Pro mode out of the box, I read they were pretty dang accurate in these modes, and it appears so. Chad B should be here next month for my cal.

Now for the warts:
  • Picture is a little flat compared to the OLED (some scenes), but it was fully expected by me. You can't really trump zero blacks on pixel with the ability to light the one next to it, FALD can't do it.
  • View angle... My wife and I are lucky enough to be right out in front and eye level, so its lovely. I did some moving around, and I'd estimate if you have a 7 cushion couch, the center cushion as well as 2 to each side (5 total) would get a excellent view from 10 feet, but 6 and 7 on the outer edge start to wash. I think this is better than my 930C.

This thing is a beauty, no doubt it is a way to go if you want larger than 65" and can't afford a 77" OLED. And it is obviously better than LG's OLED in a few ways. Can't wait to watch King Kong or GITS UHD this weekend and check out the dark room performance. I used to use my 930C in a dark room, and other than some flashlighting it did a good job, so I imagine this one will do fine.

Few pics of the setup and the wire management.

n5rG66.jpg

zJdME6.jpg

HdFU1h.jpg

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I am currently looking at the XRB55x900e as my first 4k tv. Saw it on display at Best Buy and did it look nice and also the reviews are very good on this one. Currently have my Sony 2k tv that is 3 years old and like the picture so i might wait awhile for my first 4k tv as a option.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
900e is supposed to be nice since it is still FALD, just less zones. The Sony video processing this year is outstanding IMO.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Jason: remind me again what your last display was...

I also have a 65" E6 OLED, which I am keeping. It was calibrated by Value Electronics before shipping, so no way am I letting it go, can use it in another room. I usually sell when I trade up, but the E6 is staying here. If the 77" OLEDs were "affordable", that is what I'd have, but they aren't.

I spent about 4 weeks back and forth researching on my next move, and the larger screen won out. I have had a 65" since 09 or 10, it was time for something larger. Glad I did so far, the 75" at 9.5 feet is pretty WOW.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see now that I totally misread your post. That info was plainly included in the very first sentence of your OP.

Now I'm straightened out. :rolleyes: Well, as much as I can be! :D

I think it'll be a while before I upgrade to a 4k set as I sprung for a 55" Panasonic Plasma back in 2012. On the one hand, I want it to last forever. But on the other hand, I've got an Oppo 203 and a 4k capable receiver (Denon X2000) so...I try to pay attention to everyone's experiences! :laugh:

I figure if I start now trying to figure out what to say to my wife to convince her that we can upgrade to a 65" display when the time comes maybe I can have something effective worked out!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
You are in a good spot, most of the reviews are out for 2017's, spend time to find the model you like and then buy it late Jan/Feb 2018 and save a ton! :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I am sort of in a similar position to Mike (I like my plasma just fine), and also to you in that I have a borrowed E6 (for ~ another month).

My understanding (and yours too, since I see you in the thread) is that 2018 is the year for the next "significant" improvement in LG's OLED panels (also used by Sony), and then 2020 after that. With 2017 (for '16s) and 2019 (for '18s) and 2021 (for '20s...it's only 4 years away...) being the in-between "refine" years. No particular hurry for me, as long as the plasma holds up, maybe I can find another "idiot" :) who'll lend me an OLED for a while.

Yeah, that 75X940 Sony is pretty sweet. IMO it's the smallest size that you'll actually notice/"feel" is larger compared to a 60". I tried to talk up the series here, it's hard not to be a bit of an OLED "snob" if you like plasma, but Sony's better LCDs are very good, noticeable improvements yearly lately.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, the 940 series has been a hitter for the last 3 years, they have the design well perfected.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ 3 years is about the time I've been ogling the 940 series. 75" is a problem for me, just a bit too wide, not insurmountable with some work though.

Perfected? No, they keep getting better IMO, don't see why that shouldn't continue. Actually, not totally IMO, I haven't thrown any instruments on the model you have, but the two previous models, easily measurable and visible improvements, and I read your model has even more.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, the E has 260 zones. The C have like 100 and something, where the D went below 100. It also is good for 1300 nits and the X1 processor is excellent best I can tell at scaling. I mean Directv looks great at 75". Motion is excellent too.

Watched episodes 4, 5 and 6 on Amazon of their series Lemans in UHD. Started getting dark so I cut all the lights out and closed the blinds, because 4 and 5 were night racing. I swear this tv is like a wall of image in the dark, and it is going to be so good with football. I had to cut Brightness down from 25 to 20, going to throw a test disc in later and check my black level setting.

I tried to nitpick, but I just can’t see the zones working, I mean this is well designed. I guess it is a combo of the number of zones, their response time, and the base black level the panel itself can hit when turning on pixels and turning them off. No banding in the bright white skies either on day shots, leaves a very clean look.

This is full screen, last big test will be some letterbox stuff this weekend. Still liking Standard for MotionFlow.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a Sony projector, and turned on Motion Flow as well. I tend to hate "soap opera" mode of LCD TVs. But the normal Motion Flow is benign in most cases, and for Anime it's awesome!

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Once it got real dark I went through some demo stuff (LG Colors of Journey, LG Chess and Samsung Chasing Light) and test patterns. The HDR demo files were very good, lacking a little pop from the OLED in certain scenes, but man they still looked great. When the wine glass splashes in LG Chess against the black background, WOW.

Using HDR10 and SDR test patterns I noticed the following:

• Custom Pro was well over 1000 nits, but you only got 2000 nit and 4000 nit tone mapping in Custom Home for whatever reason.
  • 50 black level was appropriate for HDR mode, Gamma left in stock 0.
  • With SDR patterns, I found 90 contrast to be fine with regards to clipping, and Black Level needed 49 not the stock 50, using Gamma -2 (2.4 gamma).
  • Of course wide mode full and the full pixel setting shows 0 overscan, which is what I want. I noticed these are blocked out with 2160p and only adjustable with lower incoming resolutions. Fine with me as long as it is pixel for pixel.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Congrats on the new display. They are indeed nice. I have last year's model the 940D. I was choosing between it and the LG E6. I went with the Sony primarily because of the added size. I loved the E6, but I wanted a significant step up from my 60". I also found the motion on sports to be better on the Sony and I wanted to keep 3D capability.

Unfortunately, my first panel had some issues and the motherboard went bad. I've got a re-certified X94OD as of a couple weeks ago and it seems to be a better display.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I love the OLED's, but when I moved to sell my VT50 and go UHD, I looked hard at a 940C and did not get it. I am kicking myself now, 75" is a great size.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
After more reading, and checking out charts that other owners have posted, if using stock settings Cinema Pro is the one for SDR, and use Cinema Home for HDR. Home tracks closer to the reference line in a stock mode.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
65" is a great size too for most people.

Yes, it is. I would go so far as to say 55" is plenty fine for "most" people (maybe not most here though).

It's just that if you have ~60" already, and you want larger, 75" gives you the feel of actually being larger, rather than just the technical reality of larger like e.g. 65" gives. I'm guessing it's this "feeling" that gadgtfreek was saying he was kicking himself for. Looks like he has plenty of space for an even larger panel, I'd say 100" easily... :)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I thought about just getting a JVC RS500 last year, but the room is just not light controlled. IMO, 75" is perfect for 9-10 feet with the space I have, but the wife may argue that. When I cut it on the first night she was like:

maxresdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks