What's new

Dan O'Herlihy 1919-2005 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mr. O'Herlihy certainly had a long, varied, and distinguished film career. He was nominated for the Best Actor Oscar in 1954 for his performance in The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. Other nominees that year included Marlon Brando (who won for On the Waterfront), Humphrey Bogart, James Mason, and Bing Crosby. Pretty mighty company!

I, however, will always remember him as Grig from The Last Starfighter. He took a role that could have been a complete throw-away in a film that might have turned out to be laughably bad and made it into something special, and he did it with a few pounds of latex covering his face.

RIP indeed, Dan. You'll be missed.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
A great actor. Outside the US we have only seen his movie appearances, but I know he had a great stage career too.

His "You're fired" was more impressive (and more devastating), long before Donald Trump ever used the line in public. :)

May indeed he rest in peace!

(Greg, I think he was born in 1919. If you agree, I'll change the title of this thread).

Cees

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sad news. :frowning:

Just FYI: the aforementioned The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (directed by Luis Bunuel!) was recently released on DVD with little fanfare. I don't think it had been released on video before so here's a chance to check out a fine performance by O'Herlihy.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
O'Herlihy knew how to play broad for effect (as in Robocop, Last Starfighter and Halloween III), but he could also do wonderfully understated dramatic work, as in the Sidney Lumet film of Fail Safe. To see just how difficult that role is, watch the 2000 George Clooney TV remake, in which Harvey Keitel (who's no slouch) played the same character, to much less effect.

A skilled and versatile actor, whose name in the credits always gave me hope for something good.

M.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"Anyone tries to stop me the old geezer gets it!" Robocop.

The old geezer has died, sad news, loved him as Grig in Last Starfighter. I haven't seen Robinson Crusoe in ages, time to dig up my old video copy and watch it again.

RIP Dan. :frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Cees, you're correct. I don't know where I got the incorrect year, but the IMDb also says 1919. I'm sorry for the misinformation and will be glad for you to change the thread title.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
"You don't really know much about Halloween. You thought no further than the strange custom of having your children wear masks and go out begging for candy." - from the unjustly maligned Halloween III.

RIP. :frowning:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
One of my all time favorite actors. Having first seen him in the beyond underrated Halloween III, I have been seeking out every film he's been in over the years, and he is always such a joy to watch. A real class act. R.I.P. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks