What's new
World Wide Stereo

DA4ES Sony Problem - No Sound Fields???? (1 Viewer)

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

I posted this on Agoraquest and have not yet received a reply, I am crossposting here to see if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks, Scott

Problem w/ DA4ES

I have had my DA4ES for over 18 months and thought I knew most of the ins and outs of this unit but tonight I am stumped.

The unit has been operating correctly until tonight and to my knowledge no settings were changed before this incident.

I have seen and enjoyed the Blue light and own numerous DTS DVD's so I know what this baby can and has done...

After my lady bought me a new Clapton DTS DVD we came home and I put that puppy in my Sony DVD jukebox to listen and watch with anticipation.

Unfortunately, even after selecting DTS in the "setup" menu of the DVD I saw and heard that I was not getting DTS. The screen said DTS then would automatically switch to "2Ch Stereo". I assumed it was a problem with the disc or my DVD player so I tried another DTS DVD with the same result. I was unable to choose any sound field other than "2ch Stereo" The DVD player is connected optically as is my CD jukeboxes and the Direct TV.

All of my sources are producing the same result in the DA4ES. I have tried to go into setup/settings/special/cusomize... menus to change anything that might apply without any luck.

When I use the test tone, sound only emits from the front right and left speakers. All of the proper speakers are selected in the setup menu however. L R, Center Front, Surround, Sub

In Menu Specialized, where you can switch to LR->ALL still nothing changes.

I hit the master reset and all that did was wipe out my EQ settings etc...

I also have unplugged the unit for an extended period of time, no change...

Still stuck in 2 Ch Stereo...

Please give me a clue, I am baffled!

Thanks,
Scott

728x90

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
There's a button on the front of the DA4ES labeled "2-ch Stereo", somebody may have accidentally bumped it. To the right is another button labeled "Normal Surr", press that button and things should return to normal. It couldn't be that simple, could it?

- Bill

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bill,

But no, it’s not that simple....

I have pressed those buttons a zillion times in the last 24 hours... to no avail.

Sony has no clue and neither does the local authorized factory service guy, until he has the unit on his bench.

His "optimistic" opinion is that my problem will involve a CPU or board and may take at least a month to repair.

I have performed three different memory clearing procedures, and nothing seems to work...

So the ole DA4ES is going to Sony tomorrow... I am really bummed, but these things happen, thank goodness for a warranty!

I appreciate your offering a suggestion Bill!

Scott

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, it will probably take 10 minutes to fix and will spend the rest of the time on a shelf. Good luck with it!

BTW - I notice you live in St. Pete. I lived in Cape Coral (up until 10 months ago), which is about 2 hours south of St. Pete. I moved to AZ because I never could get used to the FL humidity. Our timing was good as we missed the record-breaking 2004 hurricane season! Friends of ours in Cape Coral are still waiting for repairs, mostly for demolished pool cages.

BTW - it took me only 2 weeks to get used to the dry weather, now I love it. Now I just need to get used to the winter weather which is substantially colder than FL! :)

- Bill

Shiu

Second Unit
I had a 4ES for about 18 months before I traded it in. If I remember correctly, when the speaker selector is set to A+B, you get 2 channel no matter what you do. Please make sure you the selector is set to "A" or "B" only.

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
Shiu

A Thousand Thanks!!!!!

In the back of my head I kinda knew it had to be something simple....

And there it was, as soon as I read your post it just made complete sense to me and I ran, did not walk to the DA4ES and changed the speaker selector switch.

Poof, there it was Blue light and all!

Man, the torture we put ourselves through about these things...

Thanks so much for the help! You saved me weeks of purgatory waiting on Sony to tell me there was nothing wrong with my DA4ES! Whew, you helped me dodge a bullet!

I spent hours on the phone, online and in front of my receiver in the last 30 hours or so... trying to find the simple solution and here it was on HTF!

;) :D

Great memory Shiu! And thanks again for replying!

Shiu

Second Unit
Good to know that you are getting that great blue light back. I really miss the 4ES's blue light and its superior bass management system. I wish I had kept it.

terence

Supporting Actor
Shui,

I just saw this thread and you beat me to it, great job! I came pretty close to selling mine myself once glad i stuck with her.

Scott,

Glad you are back in the game!

I just heard this @ another forum

New Sony STR-DA7000ES With HDMI switching!

"Sony will also offer a ES Series 7.1-channel AV receiver with HDMI switching and 720/1080i up conversion. Model STR-DA7000ES (which is expected to see a $2,000 suggested retail) will include a 32-bit S-Master Pro Digital Amplifier; iLINK digital input for high resolution audio, 170-watts-X-7 channels output; independent 5.1-channel + 2 channel surround, second zone audio/video and third-zone audio-only outputs; three 12-volt triggers; multi-zone remote and one-way LCD remote commander."

It might show up at CES next week if theis is true.

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
Shiu,

What did you "upgrade" too?

And... I think I remember you and I being of like mind on some subjects here on HTF about 18 months ago... Was that you?

If not, no worries, just wanted to say "hey" and thanks again for the help!

Scott

Shiu

Second Unit
I traded it in for a Denon 3805. As you know there are so many Denon, Yamaha and HK fans around to tell us how good they are, and how bad Sony's (receivers, they do say good thing about Sony video equipment) are......... it was hard to resist the "upgrade". The 4ES was doing fine even at extremely loud level when its front L/R channels were off loaded by my old Adcom GFP555. Regarding your other question, I have been around since Feb 2003, it is possible we did cross path here before.

I have not upgraded my last two surround back satellites but with the Denon I cannot set a different (higher) XO for the little ones. The DA4ES would have no trouble dealing with this sort of situation.

Terence, before you sell the 4ES (I got only C$600 for mine) you may want to seriously consider upgrading your speakers first. I am not sure if my present 3805 setup is better than the DA4ES/Adcom GFP555 one. Had I not spent the extra dollars on the receiver, I would have the option to spend it on speakers like the B&W 802, or Paradigm Signature series. I find it easier to tell the difference in sound quality between speakers.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Shiu - it wasn't clear from your post if you like the 3805 more or less than the 4ES, so which is your favorite? Of course I already know you miss the blue light . . . I would! :D

BTW - you don't happen to know if that new DA7000ES will include Dolby IIx or not?

Thanks, Bill

terence

Supporting Actor

Shui,

I'm not looking to upgrade the AR Hi-Res just yet, they are still damn good for now. I do agree about upgrading speakers and hearing the difference there instead of with componets.

Shiu

Second Unit
Bill, I like the quietness (I mean really quiet) of the 3805 better, but it is purely psychological. There was no way I could hear the hiss from the 4ES neither unless I was within inches from the speakers during quiet passages of any music. The 3805 has a slightly cleaner look, but under dim lighting conditon, the Sony looks even better with the blue light on. At 21 kg, the 4ES is way too heavier for its power rating. Its heat sinks could go on a diet but then that's why it does not need a fan and still offers a long warranty.

Each has its own strength, I like them both. Again, if I were to do it again, my money would have gone to better speakers. I won't make the same mistake twice, the 3805 will stay with me for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks