What's new

Custom PSX covers (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Call me crazy, but I can't stand mixing jewel cases with DVD sized cases, so I've been making some custom covers for a little unity.

What do you think?

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
It's ironic that Playstation started off with DVD-size cases, only to move to jewel cases because of gamer complaints that the old cases were too big and clumsy.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Those look great. What graphics program are you using? Walk us through your creative process.

Myself, I put all my games into a big 3-ring binder.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Allen-

A friend of mine does that with every type of disc he has except for a few. It's not good for the discs, though.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Morgan, how so? I know (from personal experience) with some plastic sleeves the label can eventually stick. I use the kind with the fabric sleeves. I'd hate to have to go back to the boxes, since I've managed to reduce an entire rack of games into a single book.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jewel cases and DVD cases are designed to hold the disc so that no part of where it is going to be read from touches anything because it can result in scratches. The risk of scratching the disc, bending it, breaking it, subjecting it to pressure, or it warping from being on it's side is raised by putting it in a case such as the one you have.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Well, Morgan, you've never seen me trying to get a CD or DVD out of its case. Bending, breaking and pressure are all part of the deal.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you can't get the discs out of their cases properly, then it's best to put them in empty jewel cases or different DVD cases instead of putting them in a big binder.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I used photoshop, along with coverscans from CDCOVERS.CC, and some screen shots from the official sites of each game.

The Metal Gear cover is sized to fit a double alpha, and the others are singles. I use the templates from Matt DeVillier's site DVDCOVERART.COM.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Actually, if I recall correctly, weren't the original PSX cases bigger than DVD cases? I know for a fact they were thicker and I think they may have been taller. Then of course there was the original Resident Evil case which wasn't a jewel case but wasn't one of the big plastic ones(like the one ridge racer came in) but was some weird size and had cardboard and plastic making up the case. Very bizarre indeed.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Those look pretty good there. If you can get some custom instrucation books (not that matters) or some covers of rpgs (Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy), then I would be happy.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It's ironic that Playstation started off with DVD-size cases, only to move to jewel cases because of gamer complaints that the old cases were too big and clumsy
The old style PS (and Saturn) cases were a little taller, wider and thicker than a standard keepcase. Sony used at least 3 different types of cases, one that was a cardboard cover and back with a plastic hinge, one that was all cardboard except for the CD tray (sort of similar to a snapper without the snapper) and all plastic oversized jewelcases (which were the same as the Saturn ones since Sony bought the cases off of Sega due to a shortage of their own).

I prefer the use of the DVD cases. They're a good size, durable, and do a decent job of holding the disc.

And good work on the covers :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks