CT-15 vs SPL1200 Series 2

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bill*L, May 12, 2004.

1. Bill*L

Bill*L Extra

I currently have the original CT-15 and I have been happy with it but like the typical home theater enthusiast, I am always looking for ways to improve my system. My question is will the SPL-1200 be an improvement or is the 15 going to out perrform the 1200 because of the 15" driver? Will the 1200 have a cleaner, more defined sound? Will it goes as low?

Thanks for any help on this decision?

2. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

Funny you should ask. I just got an SPL1200 II last fri and it’s pretty powerful. A lot more powerful than my previous SPL1000. The CT150 is maybe 15” but the SPL has twice the amount of wattage and it goes down to 22hz. And IMO I prefer the SPL subs over the CHT’s as they do better with music yet brutish enough for HT. I think you're leaning in the right direction.
    If you’re interested PM me and I’ll tell you where to get it for $1K shipped.

3. Bill*L

Bill*L Extra

Thanks David.
    In reading tons of reviews, I am considering the possiblity of either the SPL1200 or the SVS PB2+. They both run close in price but I have no way of hearing the SVS so Velodyne has the edge at this point. I know that SVS has a 45 day return policy but shipping will cost me
    somewhere around $250 if I dont like it. Seems risky to me. Anyone think its worth the risk? Would it be as accurate as the Velodyne?

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I have the SPL 1000 II, and I'm very happy with it. It's very musical and has plenty of power for home theater. I always seem to be playing a movie or listening to music, and I've never wished I had more sub. It does a command performance with The Lord of the Rings movies or any other action movie you throw at it, and music is dead-on accurate even the low, fast passages from Tool. I imagine the SPL 1200 will be even better. One big bonus is that it's small. I looked at the big subs from Paradigm, Velodyne, B&W..., and frankly I didn't want something that big in my living room.