CS-Ultra owners help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StanleyW, Jun 2, 2002.

1. StanleyW

StanleyW Stunt Coordinator

i just hooked up my cs-ultra and i an not getting the bass i expected. i still have my 20-39cs with the new driver right next to it and the cs is outperforming the ultra. i am pretty sure the reason is because it am powering both with the same amp a marantz ma500, which does 180w @ 4 ohms. is this just too little power for the ultra. this is not the amp i am going to use perminately, i am probably going to get a samson s1000 or something, but i still expected it to outpeform my regular cs. it does sound good. i can tell it is cleaner then my cs but the cs is just noticeably louder.

i guess what i want to know is should the cs beat a ultra with 180w because the ultra is less efficient? what do you guys have powering your csu? if i go out and get a samson s1000 for the csu i should get a significant increase in performance right? thanks for your help.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Tom and Ron recomend ATLEAST 500 watts for the Ultra, as well as the cs+ subs, so feed them more juice and they will sing!

3. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Stanley,

I suppose your experience demonstrates that the CS-Ultra is indeed less sensitive than the 20-39CS. Providing the Ultra with more watts should help. However, if you compare Samson/Ultra with MA500/20-39, be aware that, for the same sub output level on your receiver, the 20-39 might still be noticeably louder due to the voltage mismatch problem that has been discussed at length. Specifically, pro gear (e.g., Samson) is designed to perform with a higher voltage input than consumer gear (e.g., MA500). One fix for this is the SVS 'blackbox'. Another is the Paradigm X-30.

Good luck!

Cliff

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Stanley,
    I haven't compared the sensitivity of the 20-39cs to the Ultra. Both should be close...but the 20-39cs would likely have a very slight edge. One reason is because they is more effective enclosure volume for the CS. Both use the same outer diameter...but the Ultra driver takes up a lot more internal volume and the Ultra porting takes up about 70% internal volume than the CS port.
    The two units might be close in performance now...but pick up a S1000 when you can...and I think you'll find the Ultra to leave the CS in the dust [​IMG]
    Always feel free to email me at techsupport if you have any other questions about optimizing your current system.
    TV

5. StanleyW

StanleyW Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the help everyone. tom you guys at svs are the best. can you guys give me some more info the that voltage issue cliff was mentioning. i am having my house built right now. if i get the electritian to run a 220 line will i get the max performance from the samson? how will the svs black box help? thanks again.