What's new
World Wide Stereo

CRT image to big for screen or zoomed in (2 Viewers)

wilch

Auditioning
Real Name
william
i'm having a problem with a second hand sony trinitron KV-21LS3OU CRT TV, and before anyone suggests getting a flat screen I already have a decent PC monitor for all my high-def needs!

i use older TVs for retro gaming because i'm sure you've seen how terrible old graphics look on new TVs!

anyway back to my problem; the image is too big for the screen so i'm losing some of the picture at the sides/corners. I can't find any reference to a zooming feature for this TV so i assume it's a serious error. i have tested the image using game consoles, my computers TV-out function and a DVD player: all with same results.

should there be a geometry correction feature in some hidden service menu?

thanks for any help folks!

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
CRT sets always have some "overscan".
To determine if yours is excessive you need a test signal of some sort.
DVD setup disks will have one and almost any DVD with the THX logo will have basic setup screens, one of which is a centering and safe area.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

5% overscan was standard and typical for CRT tvs. I've seen some as high as 7 to 8% but rarely. If it was adjustable, the lowest it could reasonably go was usually about 3%.

Overscan is normal for crt ... and needed to also hide technology imperfections ... the stuff ain't perfect.

On consumer LCD and plasma TVs (not computer monitors), there is still a level of overscan on all the images. 1 to 2.5% this time. Not to hide weaknesses of the TV tech, but to hide signal weaknesses on a per channel basis. Prevents people from making unwarranted warranty service calls based on things that have nothing to do with the TV ... but will cost the TV maker $$ anyway.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sp2024
Recent bookmarks