What's new

Crossover question for Titan-Atom owners (1 Viewer)

Murthy

Auditioning
Hi All,

After long wait I finally got my HT setup a week ago. My setup is Denon AVR 1603, Titans Fronts, Atoms Rear and PDR10 Sub. Although the specs for Titans and Atoms say that their low frequency can be 50Hz, taking cue from recommendation from my sales guy and reading from some other places, I set my crossover at 100Hz in the receiver after cancelling the setting in my sub (turned it to highest 150Hz). Now I'm wondering if setting crossover to 80Hz would be better, didn't try yet though. I really like the way it sounds in my current setup. But, just wanted to know what anyone out there with similar setup have setup their crossover. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try it out and see which sounds better.

Neither of these speakers is capable of a solid 50Hz, this is their ABSOLUTE physical limit, AFAIK. Their -3dB figures are 70 and 60 respectively. I would stick with the 100Hz x-over. I am using Titans as surrounds with a 100Hz x-over and they do fine. I was not completely pleased with the Atoms as surrounds, so I swapped them out for Titans. At elevated levels, the Atoms did not have enough oomph (v2). I had been using a pair of V3 Atoms in my bedroom though, and they sounded OK, again, until I cranked them up.

Murthy

Auditioning
OK, I tried with changing to 80Hz while listening to my favorite music CD. It sounded better when crossover was set at 100Hz. I felt that sound clarity was less at 80Hz. I wonder which Paradigm series speakers would sound better at a crossover of 80Hz vis-a-vis 100Hz.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Any of the speakers that are good to about 40Hz would do well with an 80Hz x-over, which pretty much means the floorstanders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks