What's new

Criterion Wish Listing 2019 (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Kieslowski (Camera Buff, No End, The Scar)
Wong Kar Wai (Days of Being Wild, 2046)
Kubrick (Lolita, but maybe Spartacus, Eyes Wide Shut as well)
Lynch (Lost Highway, The Elephant Man, The Straight Story)
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Roman Holiday
A Face in the Crowd
Ken Russell's The Devils
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
War and Peace (Bondarchuk)
The Hill

Upgrades:
Oliver (Hamlet, Henry V)
Lean (Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Summertime)
Spirit of the Beehive
The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Abel Gance’s Napoleon

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

The Other Side of the Wind

The Scarlet Pimpernel from 1934

The Tales of Hoffmann (the 2015 restored version runs 136 minutes, including a final credits sequence of all the performers and singers, not seen in any previous releases; Studio Canal released a Blu-ray of the restored version in Region B on 3/23/15, but the restored version has not been released on DVD or Blu-ray in Region 1/A)

The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm

One more to add to my wish list:

The three-film Show Boat set (1929, 1936, and 1951) long rumored to be released by Warner Brothers

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
David Lean set of Great Expectations and Oliver Twist, or just the Lean films that are not out, like Breaking The Sound Barrier.

Raging Bull (4k upgrade from MGM/UA)
West Side Story (rumored a few years ago)
As someone already posted Bertolucci and a new Last Emperor (2.35????)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Lot of stuff there. With Help! I am wanting the long unseen LET IT BE which I have not seen since it was on first release in the movie houses in Australia. I believe there was a DVD once but I never saw it and could not get it. O Lucky man is another missing out there. The Russian War & Peace comes with lots of stories of it being restored, damaged, 70mm original negatives lost and on and on. There is also the matter of the opening. There is the war explosive footage and the replaced, later, soft footage panning thru a field. A friend went to the marathon session with a food break at a classic theatre(still there) with his then wife(don't do that to me again she said later after about 8 hours in the theatre). My friend told me that when it started a guy yelled out something like: Oh, No! They have used the soft opening and not the explosive one. I would have thought the Blu Ray of The Greatest Show would have been ideal with the release of the recent Barnum flick. Missed opportunity. With the Peter Jackson war epic they should trot out The Journey's End(Tiffany release, 1930). The MGM special silents are certainly overdue if the Carl Davis scores can be used. Brothers Grimm and other sad story but I am waiting. The MGM 1958 tom thumb is another.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping that Criterion continues to concentrate on international cinema:

Algiers
(John Cromwell)
The Beachcomber (Erich Pommer)
Bell Antonio (Mauro Bolognini)
Les Biches (Claude Chabrol)
Ciascuno Il Suo/We Still Kill The Old Way (Elio Petri)
Les Creatures (Agnes Varda)
La Diable Par La Queue/Devil By The Tail (Philippe De Broca)
La Donna Della Domenica/Sunday Woman (Luigi Comencini)
Dramma Della Gelosia/The Pizza Triangle (Ettore Scola)
Edipo Re/Oedipus Rex (Pier Paolo Pasolini)
La Femme Du Boulanger/The Baker's Wife (Marcel Pagnol)
La Fete A Henriette/Holiday For Henrietta (Julien Duvivier)
Film Ohne Titel/Film Without A Name (Rudolf Jugert)
La Kermesse Heroique/Carnival In Flanders (Jacques Feyder)
Koritsi Me Ta Mavra/A Girl In Black (Michael Cacoyannis)
Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Roger Vadim)
Madame Bovary (Jean Renoir)
Mademoiselle Gobette (Pietro Germi)
Mitsou (Jacqueline Audry)
Neko To Shozo To Futari No Onna/A Cat And Two Women (Shiro Toyoda)
L'Oro Di Napoli/Gold Of Naples (Vittorio De Sica)
Pot Bouille (Julien Duvivier)
Queimada
/Burn (Gillo Pontecorvo)
Le Rouge Et Le Noir/The Red And The Black (Claude Autant Lara)
Sans Mobile Apparent/Without Apparent Motive (Phillippe Labro)
Sea Wall/Barrage Contre Le Pacifique (Rene Clement)
Stella (Michael Cacoyannis)
La Straniero/The Stranger (Luchino Visconti)
Therese Desqueyroux (Georges Franju)
Touch Of Larceny (Guy Hamilton)
Tragedia Di Un Uomo Ricicolo/Tragedy Of A Ridiculous Man (Bernardo Bertolucci)
Vie Privee/Very Private Affair (Louis Malle)
The Whisperers (Bryan Forbes)

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Did see Devil & Daniel Webster a few weeks ago and what a great film and a great Bernard Herrmann score. Needs to be upgraded to Blu-ray. It was funny seeing John Landis introduce Field's Its A Gift on TCM recently and one of the best comedies ever made!

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (upgrade)
Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales (upgrade)
Ralph Bakshi's Wizards
Sirens (Hugh Grant, Tara Fitzgerald, Elle Macpherson)--that ancient DVD has got to go!
Henry and June--same reason!
Blake Edwards' 10--that mediocre WB bluray has also got to go!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Indeed! It's always strange to me when someone's Criterion wishlist is entirely English titles.

I'd also like to add that Bergman-styled comprehensive sets for Ozu and Kurosawa would be welcomed. While Kino seemed to get several Melvilles and Godards, perhaps Kino can get some Bunuel.

Also, I'm surprised there's not one Blu-ray of Cantinflas' films. Sony released a ton of nice quality DVDs years ago. El padrecito is an underrated comedy that isn't well known outside Mexico.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Lot of stuff there. With Help! I am wanting the long unseen LET IT BE which I have not seen since it was on first release in the movie houses in Australia. I believe there was a DVD once but I never saw it and could not get it. O Lucky man is another missing out there. The Russian War & Peace comes with lots of stories of it being restored, damaged, 70mm original negatives lost and on and on. There is also the matter of the opening. There is the war explosive footage and the replaced, later, soft footage panning thru a field. A friend went to the marathon session with a food break at a classic theatre(still there) with his then wife(don't do that to me again she said later after about 8 hours in the theatre). My friend told me that when it started a guy yelled out something like: Oh, No! They have used the soft opening and not the explosive one. I would have thought the Blu Ray of The Greatest Show would have been ideal with the release of the recent Barnum flick. Missed opportunity. With the Peter Jackson war epic they should trot out The Journey's End(Tiffany release, 1930). The MGM special silents are certainly overdue if the Carl Davis scores can be used. Brothers Grimm and other sad story but I am waiting. The MGM 1958 tom thumb is another.
As far as Help! that is out on blu ray. The Beatles company, Apple, now owns the rights to that, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, and Let It Be. Don't see them doing that with Criterion. Would be nice if they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks