What's new

Criterion Wish Listing 2019 (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Looks like Dersu Uzala will be released by Criterion some time soon and it would be nice if they pick up the disc rights to Welles's The Other Side of the Wind and the documentary They'll Love Me When I'm Dead.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
War of the Worlds ('53, recent restoration)
It's a Wonderful Life ('46, recent restoration)
The President's Analyst ('67)
The Troublemaker ('64)
The Devil & Daniel Webster ('41)
Sounder ('72)
Song of the South
('46)
Blood and Roses ('60)
The Elusive Pimpernel ('50, Powell & Pressburger)
Zoo in Budapest ('33)
The Spy in Black ('39, Powell & Pressburger)
Q Planes aka Clouds Over Europe ('39)
To Live ('94, Zhang Yimou)
Greed ('24)
The Crowd ('28)
The Cameraman ('28)
The Wind ('28)
El Cid ('61)
Great Expectations ('46, Lean)
Oliver Twist
('48, Lean)
W.C. Fields: 6 Short Films

The Horrors of Nobu Nakagawa (box set): The Adventures of Tobisuke ('49), Vampire Moth ('56), The Ghost of Kasane Swamp aka The Depths ('57), The M.P. and the Ghost ('58), Black Cat Mansion ('58), The Woman Vampire ('59), The Ghost of Yotsuya ('59), Jigoku aka Hell ('60)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And here we go with the annual laundry list. Revisiting my prior lists, regardless of reality, and noting that some of the items from the last couple of years actually have been picked up, just not by Criterion. (I've also noted that with the online streaming service they had through Filmstruck and will again on their own, there are further opportunities past the actual discs...) (And understanding that some of these are Paramount titles that we don't tend to see getting Criterion releases, and that we really don't tend to see much from the major studios going to Criterion these days...)

6. Popeye (Yes, the Altman one. Just for the bonus features...)

10. Dead Calm

11. Never Cry Wolf (yes, it's Disney and unlikely, but it's also a worthy film that begs for examination)

12. The Mosquito Coast

16. Leaving Las Vegas

21. The Year of Living Dangerously

22. Iceman (odd and interesting 1984 film from Fred Schepisi

That is an awesome list. I highlighted the ones that I would be thrilled to see the criterion treatment(New 4K transfers also please)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At this point, my priorities have shifted from wanting Criterion editions of titles that are already on Blu-ray on other labels to titles that aren’t on Blu-ray at all.

“Red Beard” is a top ten personal favorite, possibly type five. It remains my biggest Criterion wish list item.

I would like to see Criterion continuing to release Cary Grant titles, especially ones that have never been available on Blu-ray before. I wish the same for titles from Hitchcock, Bogart, Lynch and Chaplin.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
At this point, my priorities have shifted from wanting Criterion editions of titles that are already on Blu-ray on other labels to titles that aren’t on Blu-ray at all.

“Red Beard” is a top ten personal favorite, possibly type five. It remains my biggest Criterion wish list item.

I would like to see Criterion continuing to release Cary Grant titles, especially ones that have never been available on Blu-ray before. I wish the same for titles from Hitchcock, Bogart, Lynch and Chaplin.
There are some region b releases for Chaplin (Artificial Eye are apparently upscales for the prior MK2 DVDs released by WB in the 'states) and some Hitchcock titles through network ...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Hopefully it won't be too long before we get The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941) looking great on Blu-ray, & there was some talk of Criterion releasing a new scan of The Great Escape, I don't think MGM's last Blu-ray effort has that many fans.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Hopefully it won't be too long before we get The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941) looking great on Blu-ray, & there was some talk of Criterion releasing a new scan of The Great Escape, I don't think MGM's last Blu-ray effort has that many fans.

I believe both The Great Escape and West Side Story have been rumored to be coming from Criterion...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'd have to cast my vote for the Kevin Brownlow restored and Carl Davis scored masterpieces of silent cinema that WB ended up with released in some sort of boxed set or as singles:
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
The Wind
The Crowd
The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg
Greed

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Upgrades I would love to see this year:

The Devil and Daniel Webster
Great Expectations
Green for Danger
Hobson's Choice
The Lady Eve
Oliver Twist
The Smiling Lieutenant
Trouble in Paradise
Unfaithfully Yours

---------------

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Upgrades I would love to see this year:

The Devil and Daniel Webster
Great Expectations
Green for Danger
Hobson's Choice
The Lady Eve
Oliver Twist
The Smiling Lieutenant
Trouble in Paradise
Unfaithfully Yours

---------------
Yes, I would buy every single one of those. And add Summertime and La Strada.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Stuff they already have rights to:
Remaining Chaplin films, especially The Circus
Harold Lloyd Talkies
Remaining iTV Hitchcock films, especially Sabotage and The Pleasure Garden (especially with Kino's upcoming ones)

Hopeful licenses:
The Other Side of the Wind
Eyes Wide Shut
MGM Silents from Warner (The Crowd, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Greed, The Wind, The Cameraman, etc)
The Elephant Man
Help!
Norman McLaren films
The King and the Mockingbird (recent Rialto re-release, not among Kino's licenses from StudioCanal)

Upgrades/Reissues on Blu:
Mr. Arkadin
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
Alexander Nevsky/Ivan the Terrible
Withnail & I
The Long Good Friday
Z
Pandora's Box

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I'd have to cast my vote for the Kevin Brownlow restored and Carl Davis scored masterpieces of silent cinema that WB ended up with released in some sort of boxed set or as singles:
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
The Wind
The Crowd
The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg
Greed

like does not express how much i would love to see this happen

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the usual pie in the sky item like the OOT Star Wars trilogy...;)

I'd like to add The Red Violin to this list. I just purchased the Alliance disc from Amazon and it is a subpar transfer (DVD Beaver speculates it's from an interlaced source and having watched it, I agree with their assessment). It's a wonderful film with a brilliant score and it deserves the Criterion treatment.

Plus, it's an early appearance of Nick Fury, where he still has use of both of his eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks