What's new

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (4 Viewers)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

• I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not matc

Votes: 119 65.7%
  • The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadSho

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well who was the police radio voice that said "there were about fifteen people in two cabs...". ?

evanier

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Evanier
Ethan Riley said:
Well who was the police radio voice that said "there were about fifteen people in two cabs...". ?
That was Lennie Weinrib. Lennie is heard a few other places in the film...like he dubbed the fireman at the end who said of the fire ladder, "There's too many men on it. We can't control it!" He was also heard as one the voices in the intermission police calls.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
In regard to Mad World being funny or not-No not really. . Alot of bad things happen to these people that are not funny at all. The people in this film are not very nice either. Stanley Kramer was such a 'serious' film maker that I don't think 'funny' was in his DNA. That said, What an entertanment it is!. Loved it ever since I saw it at the Music Hall Cinerama theater in Detroit in 1963.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
trajan said:
In regard to Mad World being funny or not-No not really. . Alot of bad things happen to these people that are not funny at all. The people in this film are not very nice either. Stanley Kramer was such a 'serious' film maker that I don't think 'funny' was in his DNA. That said, What an entertanment it is!. Loved it ever since I saw it at the Music Hall Cinerama theater in Detriot in 1963.
Stanley was known for his serious drama's, but with this movie he wanted to make the epic of all comedies and he difinitely succeeded.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Ethan Riley said:
Just how stupid was that lady in the bathroom? Did she honestly think those were the voices of real men, rather than recordings? Or did she know that they were recordings--and simply couldn't pee when hearing the voices of men over the intercom?
When we ran a stereo print back in the day,we would always have people say someone was playing a radio in the back!!

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

I hope this is NOT the cover art for the box.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Considering Criterion's recent habits it'll probably resemble this...

its_a_mad_mad_mad_mad_world_ver3_zps579abf7f.jpg

With a wacky C in the corner (still hoping they get One, Two, Three at some point).

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Lord Dalek said:
Considering Criterion's recent habits it'll probably resemble this...

its_a_mad_mad_mad_mad_world_ver3_zps579abf7f.jpg

With a wacky C in the corner (still hoping they get One, Two, Three at some point).
I'm 'sure' this will be the cover. For many years this design has been attributed to Saul Bass. Does anyone know for sure who designed this poster?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Paul Rossen said:
I'm 'sure' this will be the cover. For many years this design has been attributed to Saul Bass. Does anyone know for sure who designed this poster?
Saul Bass did do the red poster and Jack Davis did the caricature version.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
darkrock17 said:
Saul Bass did do the red poster and Jack Davis did the caricature version.
Are you 'sure' about that? I was also under that belief until...the book SAUL BASS A Life in Film or Design was released. As the poster is not among his listed works. And when they discuss IAMMMMW it is on the main title design. The IAMMMMW poster is not be found at all in this massive book. Also, the poster itself does not state the Saul Bass name either in block letters or hand written as do all of his other posters...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Paul Rossen said:
Are you 'sure' about that? I was also under that belief until...the book SAUL BASS A Life in Film or Design was released. As the poster is not among his listed works. And when they discuss IAMMMMW it is on the main title design. The IAMMMMW poster is not be found at all in this massive book. Also, the poster itself does not state the Saul Bass name either in block letters or hand written as do all of his other posters...
Saul did the red poster, according to the book A Century Of Movie Posters by Emily King. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0764155997

2013-07-05 20.42.47.jpg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Paul Rossen said:
Thanks. In this same book who does Emily King attribute the original WEST SIDE STORY logo and movie poster?
Sal did the poster, she did not mention anything about the logo, so I'm guessing it was done by Saul as well.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
darkrock17 said:
Sal did the poster, she did not mention anything about the logo, so I'm guessing it was done by Saul as well.
The reason why I asked about WWS is that it has been incorrectly attributed to Saul Bass in many circles when in fact the logo and poster were designed by Joseph Caroff. Bob Peak designed many of the general release posters.. This still leads me to believe that someone else besides Saul Bass designed the IAMMMMW red movie poster. The Mad World poster is not in the book co authored by Jennifer Bass as the book appears to be an all encompassing volume on Bass' movie and corporate work. And like the WWS poster the IAMMMMW poster does not have Bass' name anywhere on the poster.

ps. The WWS poster is also missing from the Bass book.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The red cover looks like a typical Criterion thing. I prefer the Jack Davis vertical cover, but I can dream. HOWEVER--If it's really the restored 192 minute version, then we need to have the kickline cover:

kick.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks