1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Criterion Press Release: War and Peace (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Its a scope reduction print.

2. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    DVD Beaver has a review of the Blu-ray. Never seen the film so i will be very excited when I have it in my player.

3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

The DVD Beaver review is up and the Blu-ray is in Scope:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/warandpeace.htm
    I know you are not a fan of caps in general but they should be quite useful for checking aspect ratio and framing ;)

The following paragraph is comment on how the caps look on my calibrated TV so those who do not believe in caps may skip this:
    Clearly the detail is not at the level of even western 35mm productions but it is a huge upgrade over the previous DVD's.
    Colors and contrasts are quite variable and may often seem a bit disappointing but this is probably accurate as it was the same with the two 70mm prints that I saw and I am pretty sure that Criterion / Janus did not think it was right to make this look a lot more pleasing than it originally did. The director would have liked it to look better by the way but couldn't achieve that with the available Soviet film stock.

Edit: atcolomb beat me to it :)

atcolomb likes this.
  4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Hopefully it was a 35mm interpositive, but we'll probably never know. I'm still at a loss as to why Criterion crammed it all on to just two discs. Anyway, not being released in the UK now.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    You know I think Gary already has a place in hell for all his "pulled out of his ass" technojargon Tooze-ism bullcrap, but this new Zavitz guy is now really starting to tick me off by straining to find a teal bias where there isn't one.

6. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Well he explicitly writes that isn't the case so you seem to strain to find a fault with what he writes especially when the conclusion of the review is very positive ;)

7. marcco00

marcco00 Second Unit

marc
    this will make 8(!!!) titles i'll be buying on the next Criterion sale, LORD help me!!!

8. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    It may be "positive" but he ALWAYS mentions a "teal" push or bias when there isn't one. It's completely irritating. And of course the techno-jargon referred to is malapropism at its finest.

9. deepscan

deepscan Stunt Coordinator

JP
    Since it is also a French language movie, we should mention the French title:

Guerre et Paix

10. OliverK

OliverK Producer

After peeking into a few of his reviews I will say that what he writes about the technical side of a Blu-ray does not do much for me so this is another writer whose reviews on disc quality I will skip. I will say that he picked a few rather weird movies recently that piqued my interest so I will give him that.

haineshisway likes this.
  11. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    John, I only just read this post from you from a few weeks ago.

Amazon (US only) has been shipping into Australia again for some months now, but only for items that it carries itself. It will not send fulfillment items or 3rd party marketplace items.

Unfortunately, none of the other international Amazon outlets ship into Oz yet, which is a real pain, as I bought a lot of product from UK, Germany and France. The UK situation isn’t too bad, as Zavvi carries most lines, and the studios themselves provide decent online stores that ship anywhere.

12. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Thanks for your reply above Ramin.I was able eventually to order W&P from Amazon US.
    They still have a problem with some "third party"orders though as you say.That makes getting some older titles difficult,

RMajidi likes this.
  13. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    You must have hated this Tooze.

Why don’t you forget the Tooze for a moment?

(Arthur - with typos)

14. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    As a promotion for the release of her 2014 book, this 34 page .pdf was released, describing the production history and critical reception of Russia's WAR AND PEACE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This paper is adapted from my forthcoming book, Bondarchuk’s War and Peace: Literary
    Classic to Soviet Cinematic Epic (University Press of Kansas, 2014).

A Weapon in the Cold War: Sergei Bondarchuk’s War and Peace
    Denise J. Youngblood, University of Vermont, USA

In 1959 American director King Vidor’s 1956 adaptation of War and Peace,
    starring Henry Fonda, Audrey Hepburn (a favorite with Soviet audiences), and Mel
    Ferrer, was released in the USSR. It was one of a wave of American films imported
    following a US-Soviet cultural exchange agreement in 1958. Although some Soviet
    critics have claimed that the film was not well received by Soviet audiences, 31.4 million
    spectators bought tickets, putting it in second place for foreign films and tenth place
    overall, belying those claims. Surprisingly, it was the only adaptation of Tolstoy’s
    masterwork in the past forty-one years.

Genesis

After the release of Vidor’s film in the Soviet Union, sentiments began to grow that it
    needed to be “answered” with a bigger and better epic. In the opinion of Russian film
    scholar Fyodor Razzakov, Vidor’s War and Peace was a weapon in the Cold War,
    intended to show that the United States was richer than the USSR. These rumblings
    increased in 1961 as the 150th anniversary of Napoleon’s invasion approached and plans
    were made to open the Museum-Panorama “Battle of Borodino” on Kutuzov Avenue in Moscow.

There can be little doubt, however, that the primary impetus for a Soviet War and
    Peace was the cultural Cold War. Some Soviet citizens were outraged that “their”
    masterpiece had been appropriated by the Americans, who presented merely a facsimile
    of Russian culture. In February 1961 the Central Committee of the Communist Party
    received a letter from scientists, cultural figures, and military officers complaining that an
    “American” War and Peace had appeared on Russian screens. Shortly thereafter a group
    of leading cinematographers also wrote a letter demanding a Soviet War and Peace,
    stating: “As is well known, the American film, based on this novel, communicated
    neither the artistic nor the national aspects of Tolstoy’s epic, nor the great, liberating
    spirit of the Russian people.” Bondarchuk himself wrote letters to friends and
    colleagues: “Why is it that this novel, the pride of Russian national character, was
    adapted in America and released in their cinema halls? And we ourselves are not able to
    adapt it? It’s a disgrace to the entire world!” The Central Committee took these
    complaints seriously and turned the project over to the minister of culture, Yekaterina
    Furtseva. The film was going to be a goszakaz, a state ordered picture that guaranteed
    good distribution and lots of prestige....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    Is the Blu-ray going to be vertically cropped compared to 70mm prints?

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Depends on if the reduction was made from a 65mm element that had its magnetic strips already applied or not.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  17. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

All wide gauge elements would be in 70mm.
    Russian cameras used 70 not 65 mm stock.
    So the 35 would probably have the complete width but loose a fraction of the height.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  18. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Technical documentation that supports that claim please.

19. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Not a claim but fact. Still documentation is pretty hard to come by, I will see if I can find somthing that goes into a bit more depth.

20. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Regarding Socscope 70 strangely enough not much comes up, only a few passing paragraphs here and there that mention the 70mm wide negative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd-AO
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_70_mm_films

With the number of films shot in the format ( a lot more than all the Western 65mm formats from that ime taken together) one would think that it is easy to find more information about Sovscope 70 but there is not that much of it around.