What's new

Criterion Press Release: War and Peace (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As for the French Lobster transfer on "King of Kings", I sense that your recommendation suggests this disc to be superior to the already great looking American BD, to which I already own.

But this is not the Nicholas Ray epic from 1961, but rather the Cecil B. DeMille silent from 1927, which to my knowledge has never before released to Blu-ray, especially in this country.

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I don't know how many people here cross over to the blu-ray.com forums but when this movie came up there and it was announced as two BluRay's, there were concerns about compression.

Here's what I chipped in.

It would probably help to list the runtimes of the four Voyna i Mir films.

(hours:minutes, just in case you weren't aware)

Andrei Bolkonsky 2:27
Natasha Rostova 1:40
The Year 1812 1:24
Pierre Bezukhov 1:40

Splitting them onto two BluRay's gives us runtimes of 4:07 and 3:04.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I will definitely be blind buying this. I read the novel 5 years ago and subsequently bought both the 1956 Hollywood version and the recent mini-series from a few years ago, but I have yet to watch either. Lazy me! But I will be trying harder to view this one right after I get it.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I will definitely be blind buying this. I read the novel 5 years ago and subsequently bought both the 1956 Hollywood version and the recent mini-series from a few years ago, but I have yet to watch either. Lazy me! But I will be trying harder to view this one right after I get it.
If you're looking for a cinematic equivalent to Tolstoy's novel, the Sergey Bondarchuk is the one to watch.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
As for the French Lobster transfer on "King of Kings", I sense that your recommendation suggests this disc to be superior to the already great looking American BD, to which I already own; so I'll add "King of Kings" to the list with great interests in seeing an even greater level of PQ.

The French Lobster isn't the 1961 Nick Ray King of Kings but the Cecil B. DeMille 1927 King of Kings (Roi des Rois). I love the '61 one, too, and agree that it's a perfect transfer from WB.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Is this worth a blind purchase? You know me...so many classics I still have not seen.
I don't know Ron, you might get bored or disinterested with this seven hour film that you will definitely have to spread over some different sit downs.
For some, to commit to "War and Peace" as a single-day 7-hour theatrical viewing could understandably be daunting. I mean, you're stuck with the investment of the ticket and there's no turning back. But the greatness of viewing a 7-hour film at home changes the whole deal; or, as Robert had indicated, one can spread it out. And this approach, I feel, would make the "War and Peace" experience no less different than someone attempting to read the book, itself. After all, I have never met a single person who has been able to read Tolstoy's work from start to finish - in a single sit - let alone, in 7 collective hours. Really looking forward to this release.

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For some, to commit to "War and Peace" as a single-day 7-hour theatrical viewing could understandably be daunting. I mean, you're stuck with the investment of the ticket and there's no turning back. .

The film was not, of course, originally shown as a one day full-length presentation. It was presented in two parts which meant returning to the theater the following week to pay and see part 2.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The film was not, of course, originally shown as a one day full-length presentation. It was presented in two parts which meant returning to the theater the following week to pay and see part 2.

I just had to throw this in (forgive me in advance)...

“In Soviet Russia, War and Peace film watches you!”

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
War and Peace was orginally released one part at a time:
  • 14 March 1966 (Part I)
  • 20 July 1966 (Part II)
  • 21 July 1967 (Part III)
  • 4 November 1967 (Part IV)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_(film_series)

So when first released it was not intended to be seen in one day.

Still I have seen it all in one day - and in 70mm - a few years ago. It was a rather monumental occasion!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Tried to order it, but forgot Criterion does not ship overseas.
Will have to wait and look for alternatives nearer launch date.
Very short sighted.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Tried to order it, but forgot Criterion does not ship overseas.
Will have to wait and look for alternatives nearer launch date.
Very short sighted.
Short-sightedness has nothing to do with it – but rights issues do. If Criterion had a licensing agreement to sell it in all territories, they'd be making the discs region free and shipping them everywhere. That's why we're stuck with this and this.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
War and Peace was orginally released one part at a time:
  • 14 March 1966 (Part I)
  • 20 July 1966 (Part II)
  • 21 July 1967 (Part III)
  • 4 November 1967 (Part IV)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_(film_series)

So when first released it was not intended to be seen in one day.

Still I have seen it all in one day - and in 70mm - a few years ago. It was a rather monumental occasion!
Fascinating and historical clarification, Oliver.
So, in actuality, "War and Peace" was no differently designed than "Lord of the Rings" was for its theatrical runs of 3 plus hours per chapter. Or "The Godfather" trilogy, for that matter.
So, once again, this is the beauty of home theater; as we get to decide and custom design our own program;
and, if we so choose, we can make a marathon of it or opt to break it up.
Still, if I knew of a theatrical showing of "War and Peace" within my region, I'd be game for the one day challenge.
I must say, the Criterion price is colossally fair.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I know in the 1970s a 70mm print was shown at The Queen Elizabeth Hall on the Southbank on there lovely DP70s on a Saturday, that must have been a long day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks