What's new

Criterion Press Release: War and Peace (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Short-sightedness has nothing to do with it – but rights issues do. If Criterion had a licensing agreement to sell it in all territories, they'd be making the discs region free and shipping them everywhere. That's why we're stuck with this and this.

Well aware of the rights position and zoning Brent.
However if TT can release 99.0% of their releases zoned world wide, I feel it is more lack of foresight or will on Criterion's part .Unfortunately we are stuck with it and every one looses out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, Blu-ray region coding is a PITA. However, it is SO easy to circumvent. Buy a region-free player. They can be had for $100-$200 every day of the week. Problem solved, and you'll be a happier person with one less thing to stress about in your life. :)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
But even with a multi zoned player, you still have some companies like the aforementioned Criterion, who will not send you the discs!!
Problem not solved!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
But even with a multi zoned player, you still have some companies like the aforementioned Criterion, who will not send you the discs!!
Problem not solved!

Don't buy them directly from Criterion. Buy them from another retailer. Practically everyone carries them. Problem solved. :)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
About a year ago, the Australian government introduced new laws targeting overseas companies who up to then avoided paying tax down under. As a result many companies refuse to send anything here, including Amazon worldwide.
So finding a replacement supplier has been problem but I'm pleased to say I have found one for W& P although it is not up yet for pre-order.
Fingers crossed that nothing will change before release.
Am really looking forward to this .
A bight spot in an otherwise uninteresting release schedule.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
John Hunter are you in Australia? I am and I get US Amazon and DeepDiscount shipments as well as TT/SAE. DD have this up at $39 but if they have a 15% off sale it will bring it down soon, which I am waiting for.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I find it funny that when you view the Criterion Blu-ray on Amazon there are 174 customer reviews of it. I guess most are from other disc versions of the film.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
John Hunter are you in Australia? I am and I get US Amazon and DeepDiscount shipments as well as TT/SAE. DD have this up at $39 but if they have a 15% off sale it will bring it down soon, which I am waiting for.
Thanks for the info.
Am a few hours south of Sydney.
Tried Amazon US just over a week ago but when checking out, the site said it could not ship to Australia.
Also tried their UK site with the same result.
You must have been lucky !!!!
If you have a magic formula, please let me know;)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I'm curious as to why it was only scanned at 2k and not 4k, given that it was shot in 70mm.

Still, this is a really good disc to have. I have the DVD that was released several years ago and the film is quite good. The war scenes are really jaw-dropping in what was captured. I'll definitely be picking this up.

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Source problems, I preseume.

This was scanned from 35mm. Due to the film stock originally used for War and Peace and these being secondary materials at best one has to assume that a 2k scan captures all the detail that can be found in these elements.

theog

Auditioning
Real Name
Owen
Thanks for the info.
Am a few hours south of Sydney.
Tried Amazon US just over a week ago but when checking out, the site said it could not ship to Australia.
Also tried their UK site with the same result.
You must have been lucky !!!!
If you have a magic formula, please let me know;)

I'm also in Australia. Amazon US will ship if the items are sold by Amazon, They won't ship items from marketplace sellers. Amazon UK still has Australia shipments disabled.

But, I have used shipito.com who provide a US address and re-box or relabel and send on to Australia many times now. Allowed me to buy from Criterion, Warner Archive, Kino and ClassicFlix when their sales come up.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
New York premiere of War and Peace.
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 10.46.16 AM.jpeg

samkydd

Grip
Real Name
Kevin
I'm also in Australia. Amazon US will ship if the items are sold by Amazon, They won't ship items from marketplace sellers. Amazon UK still has Australia shipments disabled.

But, I have used shipito.com who provide a US address and re-box or relabel and send on to Australia many times now. Allowed me to buy from Criterion, Warner Archive, Kino and ClassicFlix when their sales come up.

What are shipito's charges like? Then there's custome charges as well,

theog

Auditioning
Real Name
Owen
What are shipito's charges like? Then there's custome charges as well,
I start with accepting there are no *cheap* shipping option that skip paying the GST :)

Add approximately 30% of the disc value for the combo of GST (10%) and shipping and handling fees. That is with a reasonably fast shipping option of week to 10 days with insurance. The ratio gets better the more discs you buy.

One other option that only works for some titles is to order through amazon.com.au with Prime. Orders over $50 have free shipping on global items and when you factor in GST and exchange rate it can be less than ordering direct.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Appears the entire film will be showing at The Castro theater in San Francisco starting on May 25th! I'll definitely plan to be there (with a comfy cushion).

http://castrotheatre.com/coming-soon.html

samkydd

Grip
Real Name
Kevin
I start with accepting there are no *cheap* shipping option that skip paying the GST :)

Add approximately 30% of the disc value for the combo of GST (10%) and shipping and handling fees. That is with a reasonably fast shipping option of week to 10 days with insurance. The ratio gets better the more discs you buy.

One other option that only works for some titles is to order through amazon.com.au with Prime. Orders over $50 have free shipping on global items and when you factor in GST and exchange rate it can be less than ordering direct.

Thank you for the advice.

samkydd

Grip
Real Name
Kevin
My order with Zoom for the UK release has been cancelled and refunded. The release has been cancelled due to issues with the BBFC.
No doubt due to the horse falls. I will have to get the US release.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
May we get this straight, please? Scanned from 35mm but shot in actual 70mm? Yes? No? Well, yes, but the 70mm reels apparently are so damaged as to be unusable. But the 35mm element was, according to what I've read, 4.3. So, what exactly is this restoration from? Did the 70mm reels suddenly become usable? Was there a 35mm scope negative created from the original 70mm?

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks