What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The fabulous movie ads seeing what was playing at the same time.

The wonderful theater listings of shows both familiar and forgotten.

Magnificent! Thanks so much.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
WOW! This really brings back memories All those greats movies at those great theatres: CLEOPATRA at the Rivoli, TWO WOMEN at the Festival, 8 1/2 at the Embassy, UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE at Loew's State (ok, maybe not so great, but I loved it at the time; I saw it at Loew's Paradise, I think), and Sam Cooke & Mary Wells at the Apollo! If one only had a time machine!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The most surprising thing for me was to learn that Kirk Douglas starred on Broadway in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I NEVER knew that.

What a different film that would have been. :biggrin:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike Frezon said:
The most surprising thing for me was to learn that Kirk Douglas starred on Broadway in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I NEVER knew that.

What a different film that would have been. :biggrin:
And it was a big flop for him. But Kirk's participation opened the door for Michael to get the screen rights which later won him an Oscar for producing the movie.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Mike Frezon said:
Because of the national commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the death of JFK, several New York newspapers ran reproductions of their edition printed 11-23-1963.

The NY Daily News reprinted their ENTIRE edition from that day...including all their movie ads. Lots of interesting stuff (outside of the JFK news).
Thanks Mike! Assuming I couldn't get near IAMMMMW during its first days and weeks, I would have probably been over at the Loew's showing of Jason and the Argonauts with Gidget Goes to Rome. Or just as likely, The Haunting with Square of Violence.

Gotta love those funky early 60s double-bills... :popcorn:

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Fun to see the movie listings. Coincidentally, on this day 50 years ago, after we watched Ruby kill Oswald, I went to a triple-feature at The Kent Theater, in Philadelphia. I saw PALM SPRINGS WEEKEND, CONVICTS FOUR and THE GIANT OF THE METROPOLIS. Two of those three films are featured in the ads posted.

Carl LaFong

Agent
Real Name
Mike Fontanelli
If anyone is interested, PBS has announced it will broadcast the Season 3 premiere of BBC's SHERLOCK on 1/19/2014, just two days prior to the Criterion IAMMMMW release on the 21st. It sounds like Christmas will happen all over again in January. Could it be, to coin a phrase, an "Indian Christmas"?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Moe Dickstein said:
Huh, do you have to re-do your pre-order? I feel better when the lower price shows up in my order which it doesn't now.
I've always gotten the automatic adjustment after shipping and never noticed a lower price in my open orders. Just got an $8 adjustment notice today for something that shipped Monday.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon will automatically adjust to the lowest price if you are
already preordered.

If there is any chance of a mistake, you can simply email customer
support after you have been charged and they will make the adjustment.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I hope the extended scenes on the Criterion don't look the way they did on the MGM Blu-ray, all anamorphically stretched out:

11181204396_6a129f5266.jpg
11181335853_f4a000904b.jpg

11181343263_d84ab24fe7.jpg

And these clips were all thrown together willy-nilly with no rhyme or reason and no chronological order, to make up an hour of "extended scenes." Anyone know why they did it that way?

Thanks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Vic Pardo said:
I hope the extended scenes on the Criterion don't look the way they did on the MGM Blu-ray, all anamorphically stretched out:

11181204396_6a129f5266.jpg
11181335853_f4a000904b.jpg

11181343263_d84ab24fe7.jpg

And these clips were all thrown together willy-nilly with no rhyme or reason and no chronological order, to make up an hour of "extended scenes." Anyone know why they did it that way?

Thanks.
"It's the way I register despair..."

RAH

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It's been discussed earlier in the thread.All of the scenes will be properly fixed but the images above are the fault of your TV settings not the disc. it looks like a stretched out 4x3 Letterbox, which should be zoomed past the bars rather than stretched like that to fill the 16:9 screen.All of the outtakes on the Blu and DVD version are just taken verbatim from the master trim tape. This is what was transferred from the trims in no particular order, then used to assemble the LD version. When they needed a scene they would dial in the timecode on the master tape and grab it then grab the next thing somewhere else off the tape.That is the sort of element one uses when working, NEVER the sort of thing that should be dumped on the public with no rhyme or reason.Thankfully the Criterion release should be tidier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks