What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (2 Viewers)

Carl LaFong

Agent
Real Name
Mike Fontanelli
Rick Thompson said:
Ah, the high dither and puffed-up outrage of those who can't bear the expression of a view that doesn't agree with theirs. It's quite remarkable to watch.

But if it works for you, who am I to take away your pleasure? Enjoy, dear heart. I'm off to more important things.

"If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'."
--Jean Hagen as Lina Lamont, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
What is the deli across from Radio City Music Hall? I had the pastrami there and it was stacked a mile high.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Maher_289910 said:
Why would anyone quote Maltin, or anyone else to substantiate their own opinion? It's just his opinion, as well. I never understood the credence given to people who get paid to give their opinion of someone else's work. A hell of a lot of people loved it in 1963. That Maltin wasn't among them is of zero consequence. Of course, that doesn't mean that someone should like it, or that because it was an enormous hit, that it's actually any good, just that a lot of people had a different opinion of it from Maltin. Their opinion is just as valid as his.
The "Maltin" you reference, as do others, is not necessarily Leonard Maltin. His annual tomes are written by a number of different people with differing opinions. Not necessarily Mr. Maltin.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Steve Tannehill said:
What is the deli across from Radio City Music Hall? I had the pastrami there and it was stacked a mile high.
Com'on Steve, doesn't matter. Art's is only a flight, drive, or train ride away.

RAH

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Whenever a certain friend of mine goes into a Video store or library he always takes his Leonard Maltin book with him.
He will not buy or rent if the movie has a negative review.

I've tried to tell him that the reviews are mostly from others, but sadly all to no avail.
It's his Bible.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Prior to the internet, Maltin's book WAS the bible. Not so much for the reviews, but for the information about who starred in or who directed, what. We always had it and would get it every time it was updated. I haven't even looked at one in over 15 years.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
My last Leonard Maltin Movie Guide up-date was the 2007 edition.

I agree with John, that before the Internet it was a good source of information and i never missed each up-dated edition.
I still refer to it occasionally if I'm not on-line.
I certainly wouldn't let it's reviews influence me in any way.

Another great reference source was Daniel Blum's Screen World annual. (great for casts and photos)
...and then along came the Internet and with it IMDb and of course HTF.

Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
My last Leonard Maltin Movie Guide up-date was the 2007 edition.

I agree with John, that before the Internet it was a good source of information and i never missed each up-dated edition.
I still refer to it occasionally if I'm not on-line.
I certainly wouldn't let it's reviews influence me in any way.

Another great reference source was Daniel Blum's Screen World annual. (great for casts and photos)
...and then along came the Internet and with it IMDb and of course HTF.

Doug.
Yes, I love the Screen World annuals. I have every one except the first one. So far that has eluded me due to high asking prices.

And it has been a long time since I purchased one of the Leonard Maltin Movie Guide too. I just don't see a need for it anymore.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
gallery_286742_34_136298.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Because of the national commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the death of JFK, several New York newspapers ran reproductions of their edition printed 11-23-1963.

The NY Daily News reprinted their ENTIRE edition from that day...including all their movie ads. Lots of interesting stuff (outside of the JFK news).

Thought you guys might like to see:

gallery_286742_34_362340.jpg

gallery_286742_34_11523578.jpg

gallery_286742_34_3353176.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks