What's new

Criterion Press Release: Essential Fellini (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Last night TCM was broadcasting La Strada with guest host Martin Scorsese and they did show a restored print of the film that will show up on the box set. Have seen the movie many times and it looked great and will look even better on the Blu-ray disc.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Speaking of Truffaut i hope Criterion will do a boxset of his films. There are a few films on Blu-ray released in the UK but not here.

There are also some that have never been released on Blu-ray anywhere: SMALL CHANGE (aka POCKET MONEY), THE WILD CHILD, I think others as well. I don't know why people who have had licensing deals with MGM passed over these. Delightful films. If Criterion did do a Truffaut box, I would buy it for those two films along, even if I already had the others.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Those two are amongst my very favourite Truffaut movies. Truffaut himself is such a great actor in 'The Wild Child' and I'll never forget that early scene in 'Small Change' when a baby falls out of an apartment block building ......

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Beaver has started reviewing the box. He says that La Strada has more grain than the StudioCanal blu ray but it's impossible for me to tell by his screenshots. Will have to see for myself when I get the collection.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
There are also some that have never been released on Blu-ray anywhere: SMALL CHANGE (aka POCKET MONEY), THE WILD CHILD, I think others as well. I don't know why people who have had licensing deals with MGM passed over these. Delightful films. If Criterion did do a Truffaut box, I would buy it for those two films along, even if I already had the others.
I am glad I was able to purchase SMALL CHANGE and WILD CHILD on Amazon Prime.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Reading a review of the Amarcord disc and the reviewer says the new release has a new color scheme with some "inconsistencies" and to keep your old Criterion release because some archival bonus features on the old one is not on the new release.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Apparently one of the licencors that owns a chunk of Felini's catalog elected to not play along. I suspect we'll see the same problem if Criterion tries to do a Goddard set.
If that were to occur, then Criterion might have to title that set as “Goddard, Essentially”

But for now, this Fellini is looking like a winner;
and it’s nice to see Nights of Cabiria back in circulation.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Even Beaver's crummy caps show a substantial improvement in contrast and detail with The White Sheik

God, I'm looking forward to seeing these looking pristine for the first time,

I asked him specifically if this new transfer has the original end of part one card, which was missing from the Criterion DVD but which was correctly on the UK DVD and has been in every print of the film that I've ever seen. When you remove it, you lose some frames on both sides of it and it's annoying. He couldn't even answer the question, basically saying he didn't recall seeing it, which makes me think perhaps he doesn't actually watch the films at all, just scans through them. I sincerely hope the card is there and I can't see a reason it wouldn't be if this was scanned from the original negative.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I asked him specifically if this new transfer has the original end of part one card, which was missing from the Criterion DVD but which was correctly on the UK DVD and has been in every print of the film that I've ever seen. When you remove it, you lose some frames on both sides of it and it's annoying. He couldn't even answer the question, basically saying he didn't recall seeing it, which makes me think perhaps he doesn't actually watch the films at all, just scans through them. I sincerely hope the card is there and I can't see a reason it wouldn't be if this was scanned from the original negative.
Bruce - that three star review on Amazon must be yours......

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Where should the card be. Happy to check.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have the box set and it looks nice.

IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Some one please tell me how "Juliet of the Spirit" looks on this new blu-ray in the set.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If that were to occur, then Criterion might have to title that set as “Goddard, Essentially”

But for now, this Fellini is looking like a winner;
and it’s nice to see Nights of Cabiria back in circulation.
or Goddard mes Amour ... ;)

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks