AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Another sensational Criterion release. But in common with many here, I have too many individual Blu ray releases to be able to contemplate buying the set. I'll hope and wait for some individual releases -- just as I'm waiting for Criterion to make good on their promise to make a stand-alone release of Reifenstahl's 'Olympia' from their massive Olympics box set.
'

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Horsefeathers by Criterion.
I'ld rather have A Night at The Opera or A Day at the Races ... but I suppose that will have to do. Apparently the WB have invoked the Sanity Clause on the Marxist movies they have :( ....

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'ld rather have A Night at The Opera or A Day at the Races ... but I suppose that will have to do. Apparently the WB have invoked the Sanity Clause on the Marxist movies they have :( ....
I'm sorry, but I wasn't advocating a release of the insane and wonderful Horsefeathers. I was responding to @Robert Harris comment that this was a "typical" Criterion release...You know, a run-of-the-mill release. Like the Bergman set, the Varda set, the Olympics set...you get the idea. I knew he was being sarcastic, so I responded with Horsefeathers. An inconsequential release, therefore agreeing with his sarcastic comment.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm sorry, but I wasn't advocating a release of the insane and wonderful Horsefeathers. I was responding to @Robert Harris comment that this was a "typical" Criterion release...You know, a run-of-the-mill release. Like the Bergman set, the Varda set, the Olympics set...you get the idea. I knew he was being sarcastic, so I responded with Horsefeathers. An inconsequential release, therefore agreeing with his sarcastic comment.
Sorry.
1597299357733.png
;) ...

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I hope Satyricon has both the Italian and English audio tracks. The two leads in the film spoke English and with the BFI Blu Ray disc , which I own, there were options to listen to either track. In this rare occasion I prefer the English track as more actors were speaking English in the film.
The leads may have spoken English on camera, but Fellini often rewrote his dialogue during post-production. In fact, he'd sometimes tell his actors on set to say whatever came to mind because he hadn't written any dialogue at all and would think of something later.

Ken Koc

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ken Koc
The leads may have spoken English on camera, but Fellini often rewrote his dialogue during post-production. In fact, he'd sometimes tell his actors on set to say whatever came to mind because he hadn't written any dialogue at all and would think of something later.
Yes I’m aware of that. I was lucky to have met Fellini decades ago. The 2 leads did speak English throughout the film.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I still think the films play better in Italian, even with something like Casanova which was shot more or less in English. It feels like more effort went into the creation of the Italian track, while the English was more of an afterthought. But I started watching films with subtitles as a kid, so they've never bothered me.

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Yes I’m aware of that. I was lucky to have met Fellini decades ago. The 2 leads did speak English throughout the film.
Point being that the English track is not necessarily representative of the story Fellini's final cut is telling. I'll grant you that it's an interesting curiosity, of course. I just personally wouldn't want to default to watching the movie that way. YMMV.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They may have been speaking english but Fellini was notorious for shooting movies without completed scripts (hence the bad synching in so many of his films) so its possible they weren't saying the correct lines anyway.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I suppose nobody read my post #15 regarding the accuracy of the English dub vs. the Italian dialogue. There was NO correlation whatsoever between them. At least in the original prints...before the fall of the Roman Empire.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I would like more information about the availability of dubbed English tracks on these films. Fellini did oversee most of them as he didn't usually use sync sound al the limes in his later films. I was very disappointed that the English track was not included in the Criterion release of Fellini Satyricon as this is a very talky film and must be speed read to keep up.
Why would anyone want to see a classic (or any ) film that is dubbed into English. I would avoid such a film like the plague.For me it is English sub-titles or nothing.

titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Will be interesting to see if Criterion's version of La Strada is looks more like film than that horrible DNR'd "brand new restoration" region B one StudioCanal published in 2017.

Reactions: haineshisway

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Why would anyone want to see a classic (or any ) film that is dubbed into English. I would avoid such a film like the plague.For me it is English sub-titles or nothing.
Well technically if you wanted to watch this film in its original language, you'd have no sound at all natch. ;-)

Reactions: AnthonyClarke

Ken Koc

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ken Koc
Well technically if you wanted to watch this film in its original language, you'd have no sound at all natch. ;-)
I always prefer subtitled films. I am glad I have the restored BFI Blu Ray that has both options.
I watched it again last night. You should see the BFI and compare. It’s fascinating.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els