What's new

Criterion Press Release: Essential Fellini (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
:huh:

I suppose it's fortunate that BDs have (some sorta) an anti-scratch coating to help protect against such... and this packaging doesn't seem to have anything too likely to cause scratches.

Just finally ordered mine from B&N this morning after figuring I won't be able to buy it in-person during this sale (and there's no more membership discount anyway). Hope it arrives in excellent shape...

_Man_
I ordered this and The Irishman (by Mr S.) at the same time from B&N and the Fellini comes in it own shipping box (Just like the Bergman, Olympic, and Godzilla sets) . The Irishman came separate. There is separate shrink wrap over the case itself. The octagonal paper listing of the titles on the back is not affixed. I've been storing it inside the case.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I ordered ahead of street date and Amazon said it wouldn't be here until Monday, which seemed odd, since I'm Prime. They cancelled the order and refunded last night, with no explanation at all. So, I reordered and now it will be here on Tuesday.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I ordered ahead of street date and Amazon said it wouldn't be here until Monday, which seemed odd, since I'm Prime. They cancelled the order and refunded last night, with no explanation at all. So, I reordered and now it will be here on Tuesday.
One of the advantages of ordering new releases from Barnes & Noble (Target or Best Buy) is that new releases ship direct from Technicolor (if ordered at least three days before the release date) ...

Mine even shows it was packaged in Mexico on 11/03/20. I received mine on release day, as it is listed a 6 lbs it took priority over the smaller size-weight The Irishman which arrived on the day after release day.

On some occasions I have received new releases (of older films) a day or two prior to the release date.

I don't believe I've ever had an "in-stock" order cancelled by Barnes & Noble. Amazon ... in the words of Borat "Not so much!" :cool:

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
For those interested in such things, the box set is not actually the same size as a Laserdisc. It's the same width, but about a half inch shorter.

fellini.jpg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The films in the box-set that have the same transfers as their blu-ray standalone counterparts are Fellini Satyricon, La Dolce Vita, and Fellini's Roma, right? They all came out with the 2010 new digital 4K restorations originally. My set is now on its way, so Christmas for me is going to start on Monday.

The first one I'm going to watch is La Strada, so I can compare it to the DNR'd region B StudioCanal "restored" version. Then I'll probably watch my personal favourite, Amarcord, which I've owned on every format, and every re-issue, Criterion has released. I can remember, way back in 1995, showing my friends the "restoration demonstration" on the laserdisc. We all sat crammed into my tiny student flat, watching in awe at my 28 inch CRT TV screen, at how Criterion had digitally, magically, removed glaring splices, tears and splotches from the print. What a long way we've come in 25 years!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I can't understand notes here that this box is not coming to sometime next week in USA. I got my a couple of days ago here in Australia. It was shipped from Fedex on US date Nov 23.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I can't understand notes here that this box is not coming to sometime next week in USA. I got my a couple of days ago here in Australia. It was shipped from Fedex on US date Nov 23.
Who did you order from?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
DD whose emails often go into my Junk folder whether invoices, shipped or adverts. I have had a couple of emails that they could not get authorisation from my bank and those two were small orders. Makes little sense. They use, usually these days, Fedex and I live in a major world city which probably helps too. If I was rural it might be a lot different.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
DD whose emails often go into my Junk folder whether invoices, shipped or adverts. I have had a couple of emails that they could not get authorisation from my bank and those two were small orders. Makes little sense. They use, usually these days, Fedex and I live in a major world city which probably helps too. If I was rural it might be a lot different.
Do you mean DiabolikDVD?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
DeepDiscount did the same thing to me on The Two Jakes last month were they could not get authorization from my bank and the order was canceled. Was not happy about that and Customer Service did not give me a good answer on why it happened.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Oh DD is "Deep Discount"? Well thank you for clearing that up, Angelo. But why would I want to order from them, when Amazon US has been selling ut for $55 less? I'll receive mine next week, that's quick enough for me.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
For the last 2 years or so Amazon Worldwide will not accept orders from me unless I order thru Amazon.au. I get Free Prime bu they have many gaps in what I can order. If I able order a UK title they send it to Rarewaves UK which adds A$3 as a shipping cost. I can also get Rarewaves UK thru their Ebay store. For Germany they use mpl and not Amazon.de. For France nothing. To do with Australian sales tax that came in for imports under A$1000 back then which is 10% and includes on postage and service fees. Not all online have to charge this but eBay does.

I got 15% off on the Fellini box. This was my only way to get the box. However, they refused my order for the Blu Ray box of Mission Impossible saying it was too big to send. They do say in their Shipping notes that they charge extra delivery sometimes as does Amazon also say. The item is not on Amazon Au yet. I have resorted to other UK direct online like Arrow, Indicator, Eureka, Network UK and SimplyHE(who lack Blu Ray titles in many cases although has Combo editions). Eureka and SimplyHE have free postage levels.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The films in the box-set that have the same transfers as their blu-ray standalone counterparts are Fellini Satyricon, La Dolce Vita, and Fellini's Roma, right? They all came out with the 2010 new digital 4K restorations originally....

So even the very recently released restored transfer of Amacord will be a newer transfer? I've been searching without luck to discover which films are new transfers. Where did you find this information?

Thanks

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So even the very recently released restored transfer of Amacord will be a newer transfer? I've been searching without luck to discover which films are new transfers. Where did you find this information?

Thanks
According to the Beaver Amarcord is a 2011 release and this is a new transfer/encode (and "restoration"...
1606590200360.png

Reactions: PMF

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
You're right. 2011. I think I go the release date confused with the newer Cinema Paradiso Region 2.

Thanks for the info.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I just did my a/b comparison with Amarcord and noticed that the new release is a little darker and in the scenes of bonfire that takes place at night you see more of the faces of the town folks on the 2011 Criterion Blu-ray. Colors almost look the same and the sound is better on the new release.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
For those in the USA and Canada wanting to acquire "I Clowns" on blu-ray, Kino is offering their release (through RAROVideo) as part of their Winter Wonderland Sale for $9.99 (which is over $20.00 off their regular price ...
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-clowns-blu-ray

That's actually $30 off the $39.98 MSRP.

I placed an order for The Clowns from the Raro Video web site during a 50% off sale (total $19.99) in July 2019 and it took them more than a year to ship it to me. It was one excuse after another from the outfit. First it was backordered, then there was a problem at the replication facility, then they found an encoding error in the subtitles, then they accidentally shipped their last copy to the wrong person, etc. etc. Never once did they volunteer any of this information to me. I had to prod them for updates once a month or they ignored me altogether.

Finally, in September 2020, I got a package in the mail from Raro Video containing a Blu-ray copy of... The Conformist. A disc I had previously purchased from them five years earlier. Not The Clowns. Some more email exchanges and I finally received The Clowns a couple more weeks later.

And now Kino is selling the disc for $9.99. I've never ordered from Kino directly. I hope their fulfillment department is better than Raro's.

Hilarious coincidence: As I'm typing this message, I just now received an email ad from Raro Video trumpeting a new 50% off sale! No thanks.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's actually $30 off the $39.98 MSRP.

I placed an order for The Clowns from the Raro Video web site during a 50% off sale (total $19.99) in July 2019 and it took them more than a year to ship it to me. It was one excuse after another from the outfit. First it was backordered, then there was a problem at the replication facility, then they found an encoding error in the subtitles, then they accidentally shipped their last copy to the wrong person, etc. etc. Never once did they volunteer any of this information to me. I had to prod them for updates once a month or they ignored me altogether.

Finally, in September 2020, I got a package in the mail from Raro Video containing a Blu-ray copy of... The Conformist. A disc I had previously purchased from them five years earlier. Not The Clowns. Some more email exchanges and I finally received The Clowns a couple more weeks later.

And now Kino is selling the disc for $9.99. I've never ordered from Kino directly. I hope their fulfillment department is better than Raro's.

Hilarious coincidence: As I'm typing this message, I just now received an email ad from Raro Video trumpeting a new 50% off sale! No thanks.
I think this recent unpleasantness has made shipping more difficult. In general I find KINO to be very good as far as orders go.

My Math Prof would probably agree that $29.99 off is more than $20.00 off. This would be twice $10.00 off. BTW Mr. Bertolucci's The Conformist is also part of the sale ... ($11.99) It features a "score by the great Georges Delerue and breathtaking color cinematography by Vittorio Storaro."

It's my understanding that Kino bought RARO, as I purchased my copy of The Conformist from Deep Discount and it was listed under KINO for the company name.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks