What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion Press Release: Essential Fellini (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

Joining in the international celebration of Federico Fellini’s 100th birthday, Criterion is thrilled to announce Essential Fellini, a fifteen-Blu-ray box set that brings together fourteen of the director’s most imaginative and uncompromising works for the first time. Alongside new restorations of the theatrical features, the set also includes short and full-length documentaries about Fellini’s life and work, archival interviews with his friends and collaborators, commentaries on six of the films, video essays, the director’s 1968 short Toby Dammit, and much more.

The edition is accompanied by two lavishly illustrated books with hundreds of pages of notes and essays on the films by writers and filmmakers, as well as dozens of images of Fellini memorabilia. Essential Fellini is a fitting tribute to the maestro of Italian cinema!​
[/TD]
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

[/TD]

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Anthony Lane's essay in The New Yorker - "the late movies feel so hermetic" - justifies the selection Criterion chose. They are definitely the highlights. However, both the the Bergman and Varda sets contain many of their lesser works and failures - would have been nice to have had a complete set of Fellini for the library.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Yes, I'm very surprised at the content. I thought this was going to a career-spanning collection like the Bergman set. Even as is, I'll still take it!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Criterion's box set game this year has been fantastic. Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman, Blu upgrade of Rohmer's Six Moral Tales, Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits, and just out yesterday is The Complete Films of Agnes Varda. They also have the long-awaited third volume of World Cinema Project films coming out next month.

Now we have this amazing set to look forward to. While I was expecting a complete set, this at least has all of the titles I've wanted to see the most (in addition to the five I've already seen). I'll just order the remaining titles separately and hope Warner Archive puts out Fred and Ginger.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yes, I'm very surprised at the content. I thought this was going to a career-spanning collection like the Bergman set. Even as is, I'll still take it!
Apparently one of the licencors that owns a chunk of Felini's catalog elected to not play along. I suspect we'll see the same problem if Criterion tries to do a Goddard set.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FILMS IN THIS SET
PURCHASE OPTIONS
Coming soon, available Nov 24, 2020
BLU-RAY15 Discs$199.96SRP: $249.95

Essential Fellini

1/7
Trailer for Essential Fellini
ccef33a941be1192a29cb49fc3ebdabe.jpeg

2/7

6493f2bf2fd02be13c3b36280b5b71cf.jpeg

3/7

67d4377a5d05b3ff6bf30e347a2c99c3.jpeg

4/7

20f59d9e28311af9d16d790a80e4869d.jpeg

5/7

c1f3d13b7980bdb86d98fb63e2149ac9.jpeg

6/7

9d3c2c5f496e8be85f49f1882a7629fc.jpeg

7/7

FIFTEEN-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES
  • New 4K restorations of 11 theatrical features, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks for all films
  • New digital restorations of the short film Toby Dammit (1968) and the television film Fellini: A Director’s Notebook (1969), with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • Feature documentaries Fellini: I’m a Born Liar (2002) and Marcello Mastroianni: I Remember (1997), the latter presented in its 193-minute version
  • Two-hour, four-part 1960 interview with director Federico Fellini by filmmaker André Delvaux for Belgian television
  • Four behind-the-scenes documentaries: Reporter’s Diary: “Zoom on Fellini” (1965), Ciao, Federico! (1969), The Secret Diary of “Amarcord” (1974), and Fellini racconta: On the Set of “And the Ship Sails On” (1983)
  • Fellini racconta: Passegiatte nella memoria, a 2000 documentary featuring interviews with a late-in-life Fellini
  • Giulietta Masina: The Power of a Smile, a 2004 documentary about Fellini’s wife and frequent collaborator
  • Once Upon a Time: “La dolce vita,” a French television documentary about the film
  • Audio commentaries on six of the films
  • Program from 2003 on Fellini's 1980s television advertising work
  • Archival interviews with Fellini stars and collaborators, including Mastroianni, Sandra Milo, Anouk Aimée, and Magali Noël
  • Archival audio interviews by film critic Gideon Bachmann with Fellini, Mastroianni, and Fellini's friends and family
  • Video essays, trailers, and more
  • PLUS: Deluxe packaging, including two lavishly illustrated books with hundreds of pages of content: notes on the films by scholar David Forgacs, essays by filmmakers Michael Almereyda, Kogonada, and Carol Morley; film critics Bilge Ebiri and Stephanie Zacharek; and novelist Colm Tóibín, and dozens of images spotlighting Don Young’s renowned collection of Fellini memorabilia
Collector’s set designed by Raphael Geroni, with new illustrations by Abigail Giuseppe

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Haven't some of the films from the Bergman set been subsequently released separately? Hopefully the the same will happen here, as I already have the separate releases of a number of the Fellini films.

Reactions: PMF

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I would like more information about the availability of dubbed English tracks on these films. Fellini did oversee most of them as he didn't usually use sync sound al the limes in his later films. I was very disappointed that the English track was not included in the Criterion release of Fellini Satyricon as this is a very talky film and must be speed read to keep up.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I would like more information about the availability of dubbed English tracks on these films. Fellini did oversee most of them as he didn't usually use sync sound al the limes in his later films. I was very disappointed that the English track was not included in the Criterion release of Fellini Satyricon as this is a very talky film and must be speed read to keep up.
Granted I saw Satyricon when it opened way back during the Roman Empire, and it was in Puerto Rico. The print shown was dubbed into English with Spanish subtitles. The subs had nothing to do with the English dub. Nothing. A few years later, I saw the film in NYC, in Italian with English subs (I know and speak Italian), I realized that the Spanish subs in the Puerto Rican print were a translation of the Italian dialogue. The English dub was a complete misrepresentation of the Italian dialogue. Just sayin'.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, already having three or four of those on Blu-ray, I am not inclined to buy the set to get the ones I don't already have on HD. If they aren't eventually released as singles, I'll just make do with my DVDs or with HD streaming editions I will purchase.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope Satyricon has both the Italian and English audio tracks. The two leads in the film spoke English and with the BFI Blu Ray disc , which I own, there were options to listen to either track. In this rare occasion I prefer the English track as more actors were speaking English in the film.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I only have 8-1/2, Amarcord and La Dolce Vita...

This doesn't seem as good a deal as the big Bergman set, but we're still only talking ~$113 for the set, if it can (still) be had at a B&N 50%-off sale w/ members' discount. Even if there's no noticeable improvement over those 3 titles, it's still a good deal just for the rest... so I will probably get this as long as I can get it at a 50%-off sale -- and I might just sell (or maybe give away) my old, individual copies (probably alongside the Bergman ones, which I haven't done yet)...

Of course, some of y'all own more than those 3...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks