What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Odd to go so far as to take them out of print until the new ones arrive. They only do that very rarely, usually leaving the old one available (and to generate revenue) until then. Hopefully this means we will get the other two Tati films that CC released only on Laserdisc. I've been dying to get the color version of Joir de fete forever. Also, if Playtime gets redone (again!) this will be the first re-done blu-ray edition in the collection.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Moe Dickstein said:
Odd to go so far as to take them out of print until the new ones arrive.
I think the rights period from the previous agreement has expired- not a matter of choice.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I could see them re-doing Playtime because the now OOP Blu-ray was a 2k from 35mm transfer. I could see them wanting to do it again at 4k from the 65mm, and they probably only want to do the four films as a box set and not sell them individually.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Brandon Conway said:
I could see them wanting to do it again at 4k from the 65mm
I'd upgrade! :cool:
Brandon Conway said:
they probably only want to do the four films as a box set and not sell them individually.
That would be disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
There are actually 6 films. If they have done the deal with the new rights holders they would have: Jour De Fete (two versions, b/w and color) M. Hulot's Holiday Mon Oncle / My Uncle (two versions, English version recently restored) Playtime Trafic Parade Does anyone know if more of the missing Playtime footage has been found since the version on the CC blu? Between DVD and LD Criterion has previously issued all 6 of these films, and it seems odd that they wouldn't get the rights to all of them in the future if they were going to get some.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein
There are actually 6 films. If they have done the deal with the new rights holders they would have:
Jour De Fete (two versions, b/w and color)
M. Hulot's Holiday
Mon Oncle / My Uncle (two versions, English version recently restored)
Playtime
Trafic
Parade
IIRC, Trafic is owned outright by StudioCanal and is not controlled by the Tati estate.
Parade would more than likely be considered a "bonus feature" on a new Tati box set since it's a TV special shot on SD video and not a regular theatrical film like the others.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
According to the Variety article, Trafic had come back under the control of the Tati estate. I agree that Parade would be more bonus feature worthy, but it is considered a film in its own right in the article, and was released on its own in the past by Criterion, so I'd take a chance that it could get a spine on it's own, it would be a good place to put any of the short films (the estate owns 6) that didn't fit on particular releases (such as The School for Postmen belonging with Jour de fete)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
In fact, there should be seven films as there are three versions of Jour de Fete The original black and white has not yet been put to Blu ray, which is a shame since it's my favourite of the three. But apparently Studio Canal are still prepping it for a later release in France. From their own source copies, BFI in England has released two versions on Blu ray ... the original colour version which differs from the B & W, and the recut black and white version prepared quite some years later, which has an extra character added to the story ... a travelling artist who pops up from time to time as the tale leisurely unfolds. The colour version is pleasant and the faded colours from that defective colour process is interesting, but the original black and white version will prove the definitive issue as long as Studio Canal doesn't botch it up!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein
According to the Variety article, Trafic had come back under the control of the Tati estate. I agree that Parade would be more bonus feature worthy, but it is considered a film in its own right in the article, and was released on its own in the past by Criterion, so I'd take a chance that it could get a spine on it's own, it would be a good place to put any of the short films (the estate owns 6) that didn't fit on particular releases (such as The School for Postmen belonging with Jour de fete)
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Anthony - I was going off 6 main films, some of which have versions. I had forgotten the first b+w version, but wouldn't that correspond very closely with the Thomson Color version? The later b+w version with the painter character added is the version that was released by Criterion on Laserdisc, and I imagine that a new Blu/DVD release would encompass at the least that later edit and the original color, if not also that third version. Mon Oncle would also incorporate the English Language version which has been separately restored, and Playtime has the "International" soundtrack already. Does anyone know if any of the other films have alternate versions? The Tati estate is about halfway done with their restoration program, so if Brandon is right about these being done as a large box-set then we should have a good wait before we see them. I would think that they might start putting out what is ready sooner than later and then complete the set when the rest of the work is completed. But time will tell.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
May Titles: 5/7 (174) Band of Outsiders (Blu Upgrade) 5/14 (657) 3:10 to Yuma (1957) (656) Jubal 5/21 (658) Medium Cool 5/28 (659) Life is Sweet

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I would of liked more extras on 3:10 and Jubal but I'll take them. that and Medium Cool. I'm still not ready to jump into the French new wave. :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Of course I just bought Band of Outsiders about a week ago lol. Excited about Medium Cool. I've had the pleasure of working with Bob Forster, and he is a wonderful and kind man. We made a date to get together in May so I can get my copy signed, he was very glad to hear of the film's new release.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This wave does good to dispel the notion that Criterion has an aversion to westerns. While I'm also disappointed at the lack of special features for Jubal, it seems to be priced accordingly for this reason. Medium Cool is a definite upgrade in terms of special features.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Moe Dickstein said:
May Titles: 5/7 (174) Band of Outsiders (Blu Upgrade) 5/14 (657) 3:10 to Yuma (1957) (656) Jubal 5/21 (658) Medium Cool 5/28 (659) Life is Sweet
YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW!!! Love this movie, criminally overlooked and forgotten. Terrific news!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Richard V said:
YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW!!! Love this movie, criminally overlooked and forgotten. Terrific news!!
Overlooked and forgotten? Forgotten by whom? It's a well regarded film among Western fans. Maybe people who don't like Westerns - and don't like Othello - have forgotten it, but us Western fanatics like it a lot and remember it well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks