Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Give it another ten years.
At the pace I'm going that sounds about right!
I like western films but have never heard of Jubal. I've enver heard it discussed in film docs and whatnot like "A Personal Journey Through Film With Martin Scorses" or other documentaries like that. I've never seen it mentioned when discussing other westerns on the board here.
So maybe that's why it could be considered "overlooked and forgotten."?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BAND OF OUTSIDERS - Bluray Edition
Four years after Breathless, Jean-Luc Godard reimagined the gangster film even more radically with Band of Outsiders. In it, two restless young men (Sweet Movie’s Sami Frey and Eyes Without a Face’s Claude Brasseur) enlist the object of both of their fancies (Pierrot le fou’s Anna Karina) to help them commit a robbery—in her own home. This audacious and wildly entertaining French New Wave gem is at once sentimental and insouciant, effervescently romantic and melancholy, and it features some of Godard’s most memorable set pieces, including the headlong race through the Louvre and the unshakeably cool Madison dance sequence. 1964 • 95 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • In French with English subtitles • 1.33:1 aspect ratio BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New digital master of Gaumont’s recent high-definition restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack • Visual glossary of references and wordplay found in Band of Outsiders
• Exclusive interviews with cinematographer Raoul Coutard and actor Anna Karina • Excerpts from a 1964 interview with director Jean-Luc Godard, including rare behind-the-scenes footage from the film • Filmmaker Agnès Varda’s 1961 silent comedy Les fiancés du pont Mac Donald, starring Godard and Karina and featuring other members of the Band of Outsiders cast • Godard’s original theatrical trailer and the 2001 U.S. rerelease trailer • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by poet and critic Joshua Clover, Godard’s character descriptions for the film’s 1964 press book, and an interview with the director from the same year TITLE: Band of Outsiders (BLU-RAY EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2266BD UPC: 7-15515-10641-2 ISBN: 978-1-60465-729-6 SRP: $39.95 PREBOOK: 4/9/13 STREET: 5/7/13
JUBAL – Blu-Ray & DVD Editions
A trio of exceptional performances from Glenn Ford (3:10 to Yuma), Ernest Borgnine (Marty), and Rod Steiger (On the Waterfront) form the center of Jubal, an overlooked Hollywood treasure from genre master Delmer Daves (3:10 to Yuma). In this Shakespearean tale of jealousy and betrayal, Ford is an honorable itinerant cattleman, befriended and hired by Borgnine’s bighearted ranch owner despite his unwillingness to talk about his past. When the new hand becomes the target of the flirtatious attentions of the owner’s bored wife (Valerie French) and is entrusted by the boss with a foreman’s responsibilities, his presence at the ranch starts to rankle his shifty fellow cowhand, played by Steiger. The resulting emotional showdown imparts unparalleled psychology intensity to this western, a vivid melodrama featuring expressive location photography in Technicolor and CinemaScope. 1956 • 100 minutes • Color • Stereo • 2.35:1 aspect ratio SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones TITLE: Jubal (BLU-RAY EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2262BD UPC: 7-15515-10611-5 ISBN: 978-1-60465-726-5 SRP: $29.95 PREBOOK: 4/16/13 STREET: 5/14/13 TITLE: Jubal (DVD EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2263D UPC: 7-15515-10601-6 ISBN: 978-1-60465-725-8 SRP: $19.95 PREBOOK: 4/16/13 STREET: 5/14/13 3:10 TO YUMA - Blu-Ray & DVD Editions
In this beautifully shot and acted, psychologically complex western, Van Heflin (Shane) is a mild-mannered cattle rancher who takes on the task of shepherding a captured outlaw, played with cucumber-cool charisma by Glenn Ford (The Big Heat), to the train that will take him to prison. This apparently simple plan turns into a nerve-racking cat-and-mouse game that will test each man’s particular brand of honor. Based on a story by Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty), 3:10 to Yuma is a thrilling, humane action movie, directed by the supremely talented studio filmmaker Delmer Daves (Jubal) with intense feeling and precision. 1957 • 92 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.85:1 aspect ratio SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition • New interviews with author Elmore Leonard and Glenn Ford’s son and biographer, Peter Ford • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones TITLE: 3:10 to Yuma (BLU-RAY EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2260BD UPC: 7-15515-10581-1 ISBN: 978-1-60465-724-1 SRP: $39.95 PREBOOK: 4/16/13 STREET: 5/14/13 TITLE: 3:10 to Yuma (DVD EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2261D UPC: 7-15515-10571-2 ISBN: 978-1-60465-723-4 SRP: $29.95 PREBOOK: 4/16/13 STREET: 5/14/13 MEDIUM COOL - Blu-Ray & DVD Editions
It’s 1968, and the whole world is watching. With the U.S. in social upheaval, famed cinematographer Haskell Wexler (Days of Heaven) decided to make a film about what the hell was going on. His debut feature, Medium Cool, plunges us into that moment. With its mix of scripted fiction and seat-of-the-pants documentary technique, this story of the working world and romantic life of a television cameraman (Jackie Brown’s Robert Forster) is a visceral, lasting cinematic snapshot of the era, climaxing with an extended sequence shot right in the middle of the riots surrounding the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. An inventive commentary on the pleasures and dangers of wielding a camera, Medium Cool is as prescient a political film as Hollywood has ever produced. 1969 • 110 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.85:1 aspect ratio DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Haskell Wexler, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition • Two audio commentaries, one featuring Wexler, actor Marianna Hill, and editor Paul Golding, the other featuring historian Paul Cronin • New interview with Wexler Look Out Haskell, It’s Real!, a fifty-five-minute documentary about the making of Medium Cool,produced by Cronin and featuring interviews with Wexler, Golding, actors Verna Bloom, Peter Bonerz, and Robert Forster, Chicago historian Studs Terkel, and others • Excerpts from Sooner or Later, a documentary by Cronin about Harold Blankenship, who plays the adolescent Harold in the film • Original theatrical trailer • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic and programmer Thomas Beard TITLE: Medium Cool (BLU-RAY EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2264BD UPC: 7-15515-10631-3 ISBN: 978-1-60465-728-9 SRP: $39.95 PREBOOK: 4/23/13 STREET: 5/21/13 TITLE: Medium Cool (2-DVD EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2265D UPC: 7-15515-10621-4 ISBN: 978-1-60465-727-2 SRP: $29.95 PREBOOK: 4/23/13 STREET: 5/21/13 LIFE IS SWEET - BLU-Ray & DVD Editions
This moving film from Mike Leigh (Topsy-Turvy) is an intimate, invigorating, and amusing portrait of a working-class family in a suburb just north of London—an irrepressible mum and dad (Alison Steadman and Jim Broadbent) and their night-and-day twins, a bookish good girl and a sneering layabout (Claire Skinner and Jane Horrocks). In it, Leigh and his typically brilliant cast create, with extra­ordinary sensitivity and craft, a vivid, lived-in story of ordinary existence, in which even modest dreams (such as the father’s desire to open a food truck) carry enormous weight. Perched on the line between humor and melancholy, Life Is Sweet is captivating, and it was Leigh’s first international sensation. 1990 • 103 minutes • Color • 2.0 surround • 1.85:1 aspect ratio DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES • New high-definition digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition • New audio commentary featuring director Mike Leigh • Audio recording of a 1991 interview with Leigh at the National Film Theatre in London • More! • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic David Sterritt TITLE: Life Is Sweet (BLU-RAY EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2258BD UPC: 7-15515-10561-3 ISBN: 978-1-60465-722-7 SRP: $39.95 PREBOOK: 4/30/13 STREET: 5/28/13 TITLE: Life Is Sweet (DVD EDITION) CAT. NO: CC2259D UPC: 7-15515-10551-4 ISBN: 978-1-60465-721-0 SRP: $29.95 PREBOOK: 4/30/13 STREET: 5/28/13

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Hi, guys! Thanks so much for continuing this thread! I've been enjoying reading your comments. The month of May includes a number of titles that are Holy Grail for me. JUBAL is a film that I consider one of the great Westerns of the 1950's. I never bought a DVD of this title, because Delmer Daves films really depend on the images, especially the use of light and color, that in some ways completely overwhelm the narrative and exist on their own. It's going to be very hard to resist owning a Criterion release of this film with Sony performing the image harvest, even with a dearth of extras. BAND OF OUTSIDERS...this may be my favorite Godard film. The film was shot during the winter, and the misty fog on the banks of the Seine reminds one of a charcoal drawing by Rendon. This may be Raoul Coutard's greatest achievement as a cinematographer, and though I already own the DVD, I am tempted to make an upgrade. As for the film... Imagine the characters from REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE existing simultaneously in the worlds of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS & ON DANGEROUS GROUND. One could also mention VOYAGE IN ITALY, for Anna Kanria has the same contradictory qualities of spiritual essence and sensual abandon that defines Ingrid Bergman's performance in Rossellini's film. Have I mentioned that BAND OF OUTSIDERS is a comedy? And yet the film is also tragic, like the expression on Jean Gabin's face at the end of TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI. And yes, Godard continually interrupts the film's unspooling to speak of poems, paintings, novels and other items seemingly unrelated to what is happening on the screen, (carefully identified in an extra on the Criterion disc) because these were things the director was thinking about at that moment, and the evocation of a specific moment in time is what BAND OF OUTSIDERS excels at. Also, we get to see Anna Karina dance the Madison!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by AL KUENSTER
We need another B&N half price sale on Criterion dvds & BRs
Based on Canadian prices, we most certainly do! Heck, I'll take a criterion.com coupon!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Barnes and Noble will be closing a third of their stores, over the next decade. Hopefully the Criterion sales will continue.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Robin9 said:
Overlooked and forgotten? Forgotten by whom? It's a well regarded film among Western fans. Maybe people who don't like Westerns - and don't like Othello - have forgotten it, but us Western fanatics like it a lot and remember it well.
Well, just to defend my statement a little, when great western movies are listed, I rarely see anyone mention Jubal. Even the box art mentions, "overlooked" so even Criterion agrees with me. So there, OK? ;)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
My confidence in Criterion transfers is such that I'll click Buy It Now the day JUBAL and 3:10 TO YUMA go up for pre-order. They are both great American films as well as superb westerns. Besides I want to encourage Criterion to dig further into the genre.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'll be delighted to upgrade to Blu-ray for MEDIUM COOL when it's released. I just hope that Criterion has restored the Wild Man Fisher song "Merry Go Round" to the Roller Derby scene. The previous Paramount DVD and laserdisc replaced that song with a by-the-numbers rendition of "Sweet Georgia Brown," due to legal reasons.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Richard V said:
Well, just to defend my statement a little, when great western movies are listed, I rarely see anyone mention Jubal. Even the box art mentions, "overlooked" so even Criterion agrees with me. So there, OK? ;)
I'm very sorry if I offended you. I didn't realise you were so sensitive. My question was "forgotten by whom?" not overlooked by whom? Criterion are not the world's greatest experts on Westerns and their primary concern is to sell their product. Describing Jubal as "overlooked" is more likely to result in sales than describing it as "well known Western that has been out for years on DVD."

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
How cool is it that Medium Cool is coming to Blu-ray via the Criterion collection? Maximum cool, that's how! It's been out of print for much too long.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'll be upgrading Band of Outsiders and Medium Cool and picking up 3:10 to Yuma and Jubal. If there's another Criterion sale at B&N in June/July, I'll be ready--like Russell G wrote, Criterions are generally expensive up here in Canada ($40-50), so occasional sales are always appreciated!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
New clue in this month's Criterion newsletter
3e489c52_wacky_quail.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The Wrestling Women Vs. the Aztec Mummy confirmed! I have no idea what it could be. it's not blu so a DVD only release?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks