1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    every BN I've been to with a separate DVD/Music section has a very large section of Criterion DVDs and a separate smaller section of Criterion blurays. Every BN I've been to during the sale (4 stores) has marked every Criterion DVD with a 50% off sticker, every store has had signs both at the store entrance and all over the Music/DVD section about the 50% off sale. Strangely these signs say they exclude bluray, though every store has included bluray (as does online).

I've gone a bit nuts in this sale. I get a minimum of 55% off since I'm a BN member, and I've been making liberal use of the $5 coupons, using them successfully on 17 out of 22 titles I've purchased. I was only shot down once on one coupon, and the other four times I didn't try to use a coupon. The coupons have brought down the average cost to $8.78/movie or $16.37/title with an overall discount of 65.67% off list. and an average price per title on blurays (pretax) of 14.07, which includes the Yojimbo Sanjuro set, that I nabbed for 26.49.

2. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

Black Narcissus ,don't understand why this needs to be a Blue Ray,can one even tell the
    difference in it over the DVD,

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What size is your screen and from what distance are you viewing this technicolor film at? It may not be as good looking as The Red Shoes on BRD, but it is better than its SD DVD.

Crawdaddy

4. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Pardon, if I come across as a smart-ass...but I can't believe you're serious. This is one outstanding Blu-ray.

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Huge improvement, why would you think it wouldn't be? The DVD is decent enough, but far from stellar.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

I can't believe people still make this comment.

8. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer

Luis
    Two Criterions I can't wait to see in hi-def are Brazil and Element of Crime. Anyone with me? What else are you guys hoping to see hit Blu-ray?

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Has anyone else experienced any playback issues with their copy of Black Narcissus? The color saturation level "pulsed" between normal and a little higher throughout the film when I watched it last week. I was wondering if it was just a compatibility issue with my setup or something inherent in the transfer. I do not have this issue with any of the other 250+ BD titles I've watched on the same setup.

10. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I noticed that too, but I've since read that it's in the original, or was something that couldn't be totally stabilized in the restoration process. Hey, I'm not the techie; someone else will pop in and explain, but your eyes were not deceiving you. It was subtle but noticeable in some places.

11. David Wilkins

I've heard it called "color breathing", or some similar term, having to do with the 3-strip Technicolor restoration process. Evidently the flaw is impractical to stabilize, or that's my impression. I'm no techie, either.

12. David Wilkins

I'm betting that Criterion won't get the BD rights for Brazil, which is a shame. It would be pure heaven to get a BD equivalent of their magnificent Brazil DVD boxed set. So far as 'Element of Crime', I wonder how much improvement there would be in the dark, murky imagery, but I'd still like to have it, along with any other of von Trier's work. Sounds like his 'Antichrist' will arrive on BD via Criterion, but there's no release date thus far.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'd like to see an Ace In The Hole Blu-ray and since I'm kinda lowbrow, it would be fun to see an HD version of The Blob (1958).

14. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    They're afraid to release "The Bob" in HD because you'll see the stretch marks.

15. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'd also really, really love to see Criterion release Brazil, my favorite Gilliam film, on Blu. Another title that would be on my list is My Own Private Idaho, and I can't wait for the Seven Samurai and Paths of Glory releases in October and Charade in September.

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Thanks, Wayne and David. I wasn't sure how best to describe what I was seeing, but using the term "pulsing" was at least close enough to get me an answer. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif While the effect was not too extreme, once I noticed it I had difficulty in trying to ignore the "breathing" while watching the film.

At least it's not an issue with my equipment.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Scott:

The color pulsing/breathing issue was commented upon HERE in the discussion which followed Matt's review of the title.

18. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

Black Narcissus is from 1947 and is far from a great transfer,the reason I asked why BR
    was because I only saw the new dvd,and Found its image soft looking which I guess is
    the way it always looked,and was wondering if people saw a improvement in the BR
    I can understand why People like the Look of the Film,But this is only 2 years before
    "She wore a Yellow Ribbon" which speaking of the transfer only is far nicer

I bought the Pierre Le fou Blue Ray ,and it still blows my Mind how good the Transfer
    is ,Theres only a few scenes in the whole film ,where the film transfer isn't stunning

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

There are many other factors--aside from the age of the film--Peter, that are going to determine what the film looks like on Blu-ray. More than I'll ever fully comprehend, that's for sure.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Originally Posted by Peter Neski

There's only two years between Grindhouse and Avatar and they look very different. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif