What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Black Narcissus ,don't understand why this needs to be a Blue Ray,can one even tell the
difference in it over the DVD,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Peter Neski
Black Narcissus ,don't understand why this needs to be a Blue Ray,can one even tell the
What size is your screen and from what distance are you viewing this technicolor film at? It may not be as good looking as The Red Shoes on BRD, but it is better than its SD DVD.

Crawdaddy

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Pardon, if I come across as a smart-ass...but I can't believe you're serious. This is one outstanding Blu-ray.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Huge improvement, why would you think it wouldn't be? The DVD is decent enough, but far from stellar.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Peter Neski /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/810#post_3715992

I can't believe people still make this comment.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Two Criterions I can't wait to see in hi-def are Brazil and Element of Crime. Anyone with me? What else are you guys hoping to see hit Blu-ray?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Has anyone else experienced any playback issues with their copy of Black Narcissus? The color saturation level "pulsed" between normal and a little higher throughout the film when I watched it last week. I was wondering if it was just a compatibility issue with my setup or something inherent in the transfer. I do not have this issue with any of the other 250+ BD titles I've watched on the same setup.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I noticed that too, but I've since read that it's in the original, or was something that couldn't be totally stabilized in the restoration process. Hey, I'm not the techie; someone else will pop in and explain, but your eyes were not deceiving you. It was subtle but noticeable in some places.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I've heard it called "color breathing", or some similar term, having to do with the 3-strip Technicolor restoration process. Evidently the flaw is impractical to stabilize, or that's my impression. I'm no techie, either.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Luisito34
Two Criterions I can't wait to see in hi-def are Brazil and Element of Crime. Anyone with me? What else are you guys hoping to see hit Blu-ray?
I'm betting that Criterion won't get the BD rights for Brazil, which is a shame. It would be pure heaven to get a BD equivalent of their magnificent Brazil DVD boxed set. So far as 'Element of Crime', I wonder how much improvement there would be in the dark, murky imagery, but I'd still like to have it, along with any other of von Trier's work. Sounds like his 'Antichrist' will arrive on BD via Criterion, but there's no release date thus far.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see an Ace In The Hole Blu-ray and since I'm kinda lowbrow, it would be fun to see an HD version of The Blob (1958).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They're afraid to release "The Bob" in HD because you'll see the stretch marks.

Originally Posted by TravisR
I'd like to see an Ace In The Hole Blu-ray and since I'm kinda lowbrow, it would be fun to see an HD version of The Blob (1958).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd also really, really love to see Criterion release Brazil, my favorite Gilliam film, on Blu. Another title that would be on my list is My Own Private Idaho, and I can't wait for the Seven Samurai and Paths of Glory releases in October and Charade in September.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hollywoodaholic said:
/forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/810#post_3716216
I've heard it called "color breathing", or some similar term, having to do with the 3-strip Technicolor restoration process. Evidently the flaw is impractical to stabilize, or that's my impression. I'm no techie, either.
Thanks, Wayne and David. I wasn't sure how best to describe what I was seeing, but using the term "pulsing" was at least close enough to get me an answer. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif While the effect was not too extreme, once I noticed it I had difficulty in trying to ignore the "breathing" while watching the film.

At least it's not an issue with my equipment.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Black Narcissus is from 1947 and is far from a great transfer,the reason I asked why BR
was because I only saw the new dvd,and Found its image soft looking which I guess is
the way it always looked,and was wondering if people saw a improvement in the BR
I can understand why People like the Look of the Film,But this is only 2 years before
"She wore a Yellow Ribbon" which speaking of the transfer only is far nicer

I bought the Pierre Le fou Blue Ray ,and it still blows my Mind how good the Transfer
is ,Theres only a few scenes in the whole film ,where the film transfer isn't stunning

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are many other factors--aside from the age of the film--Peter, that are going to determine what the film looks like on Blu-ray. More than I'll ever fully comprehend, that's for sure.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Black Narcissus is from 1947 and is far from a great transfer,the reason I asked why BR
was because I only saw the new dvd,and Found its image soft looking which I guess is
the way it always looked,and was wondering if people saw a improvement in the BR
I can understand why People like the Look of the Film,But this is only 2 years before
"She wore a Yellow Ribbon" which speaking of the transfer only is far nicer

I bought the Pierre Le fou Blue Ray ,and it still blows my Mind how good the Transfer
is ,Theres only a few scenes in the whole film ,where the film transfer isn't stunning
Peter,

Have you actually seen Black Narcissus on BD (or at least a few screen caps)? You can find some screen caps at DVDBeaver for one.

I've never seen the DVD before -- it was a great treat to see it for the first time on this Criterion BD -- but the BD looks very good to me outside of the occasional, minor distraction of the "color breathing". If the DVD looks soft even by DVD standards, then this BD must be a big improvement over the DVD. I think someone also mentioned that the "color breathing" is a bit less noticeable on the BD than the DVD.

FWIW, I thought I saw some EE haloes in places, but maybe it's not really EE, but some sort of optical aberration or whatever other film defect.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks