1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Peter,

Have you actually seen Black Narcissus on BD (or at least a few screen caps)? You can find some screen caps at DVDBeaver for one.

I've never seen the DVD before -- it was a great treat to see it for the first time on this Criterion BD -- but the BD looks very good to me outside of the occasional, minor distraction of the "color breathing". If the DVD looks soft even by DVD standards, then this BD must be a big improvement over the DVD. I think someone also mentioned that the "color breathing" is a bit less noticeable on the BD than the DVD.

FWIW, I thought I saw some EE haloes in places, but maybe it's not really EE, but some sort of optical aberration or whatever other film defect.

_Man_

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Thanks, Mike. I looked for a review here, but missed it my search. Chalk it up to "user error". /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

3. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

The specifics of the "color breathing" were never really discussed, though. The specifics haven't been covered, even in RAH's write-up. But in all fairness, this probably isn't the right thread for discussing it, anyway.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3317/blacknarcissus.html

This reviewer seems to be the most positive of the online sources I can find. Hard to sort from among the superlatives, but he seemed to think the improvement over the old Criterion DVD was even bigger than I did. I don't think I've read enough of his reviews to get a feel for how I should approach his opinions, but anyone reading this would seem to have little doubt.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Apparently it's a problem attributed to variances in the Technicolor processing of the film or even chemical staining. On The Red Shoes it was successfully mitigated during that films recent extensive (and expensive) digital restoration, and is mentioned on the Blu-ray in the supplement about the restoration.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    D'OH! /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

7. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

"old Criterion DVD " I saw the newer dvd ,haven't seen the BR,I understand going for the BR if you want to get it
    Also I don't know what the Old Versions looked like,only that New DVD ,Theres no reason to get the dvd ,if you
    have a Blue Ray Player,
    I don't get the thrill of seeing a newer better transfer ,because I never saw the older ones,or the Film in the theatre either

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Where oh where is Picnic at Hanging Rock?

9. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

Where oh where is Picnic at Hanging Rock?

Thats out in other countries,but wish Criteron would do it,Maybe that poll hurt its chances

10. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

Martin Teller
    #541 - NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (Nov 16: BR/2-disc DVD)

[​IMG]
    * New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Audio commentary featuring assistant director Terry Sanders, film critic F. X. Feeney, archivist Robert Gitt, and author Preston Neal Jones
    * Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter,” a two-and-a-half-hour archival treasure trove of outtakes from the film
    * New documentary featuring interviews with producer Paul Gregory, Sanders, Jones, and author Jeffrey Couchman
    * New video interview with Simon Callow, author of Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor
    * Clip from the The Ed Sullivan Show, in which cast members perform live a scene that was deleted from the film
    * Fifteen-minute episode of the BBC show Moving Pictures about the film
    * Archival interview with cinematographer Stanley Cortez
    * Gallery of sketches by author Davis Grubb
    * New video conversation between Gitt and film critic Leonard Maltin about Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter”
    * Original theatrical trailer
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Terrence Rafferty and Michael Sragow
    Fuck me, that's loaded. A must-buy. Loving that cover, too.
    #542 - ANTICHRIST (Nov 9: BR/2-disc DVD)

[​IMG]
    * New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Lars von Trier and supervised by director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Audio commentary by von Trier and professor Murray Smith
    * Video interviews with von Trier and actors Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg
    * A collection of video pieces delving into the production of Antichrist, including interviews with von Trier and key members of his filmmaking team as well as behind-the-scenes footage
    * Chaos Reigns at the Cannes Film Festival 2009, a documentary on the film’s world premiere, plus press interviews with Dafoe and Gainsbourg
    * Three theatrical trailers
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie
    Interesting film, but no way I'm watching it again.
    #543 - MODERN TIMES (Nov 16: BR/2-disc DVD)

[​IMG]
    * New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
    * New audio commentary by Chaplin biographer David Robinson
    * Two new visual essays, by Chaplin historians John Bengtson and Jeffrey Vance
    * New program on the film’s visual and sound effects, with experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt
    * Interview from 1992 with Modern Times music arranger David Raksin
    * Chaplin Today: “Modern Times” (2004), a half-hour program with filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne
    * Two segments removed from the film
    * Three theatrical trailers
    * All at Sea (1933), a home movie by Alistair Cooke featuring Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, and Cooke, plus a new score by Donald Sosin and a new interview with Cooke’s daughter, Susan Cooke Kittredge
    * The Rink (1916), a Chaplin two-reeler highlighting his skill on wheels
    * For the First Time (1967), a Cuban documentary short about a projectionist who shows Modern Times to first-time moviegoers
    * More!
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Saul Austerlitz and a piece by film scholar Lisa Stein that includes excerpts from Chaplin’s writing about his travels in 1931 and 1932
    If I liked Chaplin more, this would be exciting. The only one I'd even think of buying is The Circus.
    AMERICA LOST AND FOUND: THE BBS STORY (Nov 23: 6-disc BR/Dec 14:9-disc DVD)

[​IMG]
    Head
    * New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork
    * New video interview with director Bob Rafelson
    *New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley
    *More!
    Easy Rider
    * New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Audio commentary featuring director Dennis Hopper
    * Easy Rider: Shaking the Cage, a 1999 documentary featuring behind-the-scenes footage
    * Footage of Hopper and star Peter Fonda at Cannes in 1969
    * New video interview with BBS’s Steve Blauner
    * More!
    Five Easy Pieces
    * New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson and interior designer Toby Rafelson
    * Soul Searching in Five Easy Pieces, a 2009 video piece in which Rafelson discusses the film
    * BBStory, a 2009 documentary
    * Excerpts from an audio recording of Rafelson at the American Film Institute in 1976
    Drive, He Said
    * A Cautionary Tale of Campus Revolution and Sexual Freedom, a 2009 video piece in which director Jack Nicholson discusses the experience of making this film
    * Theatrical trailer
    * More!
    A Safe Place
    * Audio commentary featuring director Henry Jaglom
    * Henry Jaglom Finds “A Safe Place,” a 2009 video piece in which the director discusses the film
    * Notes on the New York Film Festival, a 1971 video piece featuring an interview conducted by critic Molly Haskell with directors Peter Bogdanovich and Jaglom about their films The Last Picture Show and A Safe Place
    * Deleted scene and screen tests
    * Theatrical trailer
    The Last Picture Show
    * Two audio commentaries, one featuring director Peter Bogdanovich and the other featuring Bogdanovich and actors Cybill Shepherd, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, and Frank Marshall
    * Picture This, a 1990 documentary by George Hickenlooper
    * “The Last Picture Show”: A Look Back, an hour-long 1999 documentary
    2009 interview with Bogdanovich
    * Screen tests and location footage
    * Theatrical trailers and more!
    The King of Marvin Gardens
    * Selected-scene audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson
    * Reflections of a Philosopher King, a 2009 documentary about the making of the film
    * Afterthoughts, a short 2002 documentary about the film, produced by Rafelson
    * Theatrical trailer
    I'm not big fan of the three I've seen (Easy Rider, Last Picture, 5EP) but certainly worth a rental.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Criterion almost always knocks me out with its cover art.

They make it seem so easy. Yet others tend to fail so miserably.

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Fantastic, just abso-bloody-lutely fantastic. Night of The Hunter is a dream come true, and it feels like I've been waiting for the America Lost & Found; The BBS Story for years.

It's a cliche but I cannot wait.

13. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I'm so happy the BBS Story made it from rumor to reality. Hope this means that the Criterion / Sony agreement goes beyond these titles and some more vintage Columbia will be coming to Blu ray. I'd love The Swimmer, the elusive Housekeeping, Shampoo, The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, and Mickey One.

14. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Criterion is kill'n me, and I love'm for it. I want every damn one of these.

15. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Night of the Hunter and Modern Times are certainly must buys. Night of the Hunter is so loaded it's a two disc bluray! damn.

I doubt I'll buy the BBS set because I imagine the B&N sale in November will end November 22nd, the Monday before Thanksgiving, and the day before the set comes out. And I don't like Easy Rider at all and would hate to have to pay for it in a set. Modern Times and Night of the Hunter will definitely be the Red Shoes/Black Narcissus of the November sale, come out in the middle of it, and damned hard to find on the shelves. :D

Criterion has said that Drive He Said and a Safe Place will share a Blu Ray disc on facebook. The Bluray set will be six discs and cost 124.95, the DVD set will be nine discs and cost 99.95.

I'm disappointed in no eclipse set for november, though, it's pretty much a certainty we won't get one in the december releases, so that will be a very long layoff between sets 24 and 25 of that line and they did say a naruse eclipse was coming in 2010. Alas, it was not to be, apparently.

16. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Hi John

Personally this is the best feature :

* Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter,” a two-and-a-half-hour archival treasure trove of outtakes from the film

17. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

Martin Teller
    December is usually a slim month for Criterion, but I wouldn't call it a "certainty" that they won't release an Eclipse set. The Eclipse line involves relatively little work.

18. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Afraid you're right Adam, I was able to get Black Narcissus but struck out on The Red Shoes which of course was the one I wanted most. Internet order was cancelled and the local B&M stores only received 1 copy each.

Night of the Hunter with outtakes has been a very long-time coming but giving my viewing habits, I'm loath to drop $30+ on a set I'll watch maybe once every 2-3 years. And while I'm very curious and have wanted to see the outtakes since they were making the festival rounds years ago, 2 1/2 hours is kind of overkill. I'll very likely only ever watch them once.

The box is probably the same way, I will probably give in and buy it if I can get it for 50% off, but while I love Easy Rider and both King of Marvin Gardens and TLPS are fine films, Five Easy Pieces is the only one I really have a burning desire to own on B-ray, so there's no way I'll spend $85-$90+ or whatever "regular" sale prices for this are.

19. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

B&N's online store actually cancelled your order for The Red Shoes BD? I know they temporarily removed it from the site (for a couple days or so), but they had reinstated it several days before the sale ended AFAIK though I ended up just buying it (along w/ the Black Narcissus BD) locally at a B&M store anyway.

FWIW, if you're still looking to buy The Red Shoes BD at a price close to the B&N sale (w/out any additional discounts/coupons) and don't want to wait for the next B&N sale, DeepDiscount.com is now selling it (along w/ many other already released Criterion BDs w/ the same MSRP) for ~$22:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/productID/B9ABCE49-F175-40FE-82B7-B799AE5EB616

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/search.results?sid=5c3084e6579f701a96d05d32a7e7f672b127&Nty=1&Ntk=primary&resultsPerPage=72&N=1483&viewType=grid&Ntt=criterion

_Man_

20. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I ordered Black Narcissus, Red Shoes, Yojimbo, Days of Heaven and Simon of the Desert. They shipped everything but RS and cancelled that line item. The message they sent was something along the lines of "B&N no longer carries this item."

Thanks for pointing out the deepdiscount sale, now I don't have to wait for the end of the year. /img/vbsmilies/htf/banana.gif