What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick King
The Criterion transfer was approved by Raoul Coutard, so it is the definitive version.
Both the master of the "Breathless / À bout de souffle" DVD from Criterion and the restoration used for the "StudioCanal" Blu-ray disc were approved by Coutard, too, but they offer different contrast values. So I don't know how much this "approved" thing means.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by ChristianLiemke /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/630#post_3663300

Quote:
Both the master of the "Breathless / À bout de souffle" DVD from Criterion and the restoration used for the "StudioCanal" Blu-ray disc were approved by Coutard, too, but they offer different contrast values. So I don't know how much this "approved" thing means.
I'd guess the difference in contrast is due, in part, to the Criterion being a DVD and the StudioCanal release being a Blu-ray?(I don't have the Blu-ray, so I can't say for sure) In any event a difference in contrast between a DVD and a Blu-ray is not the same thing as a shot having a green tint or not having a said tint.

I do have a question for you. Could you tell me if the StudioCanal Blu-Ray of Breathless has a USA option at the start?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
On the Criterion message forum, someone commented that Thelma Schoonmaker said(at the Film Forum in NYC) that Criterion will be releasing the new restoration of THE RED SHOES in June. Hopefully this is true, and will include both DVD and BD.

MartinL

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Lauren
Does Bottle Rocket come in a plastic case or the digipak nowadays, if you order it from e.g. AxelMusic or Amazon?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Digipak

As far as I know, the only one of the digipak releases to get a store re-release with the plastic case was The Third Man before it went OOP. The other 8 digipak releases have not yet been seen in stores with the newer plastic cases.

MartinL

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Lauren
Thanks for the input! Ordering a replacement case can get a little expensive since I don't live in the U.S. Oh well, they will run out of digipaks sooner or later I guess.

Derrick King

Screenwriter

The Thin Red Line

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
They made the May announcement of titles on Friday the 12th last month. Hopefully it'll be the same for the June titles this month (this Friday). /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Not terribly surprised that Close-Up (1990) and Night Train to Munich (1940) are DVD-only releases for June, but I am somewhat surprised that Everlasting Moments (2008) is DVD only.

As for the actual Blu releases, those are three films I've yet to see, so it's hard for me to get excited about it. But I'll gladly check them out. I just hope The Red Shoes is on tap for July because I do really want that film.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by felipenor /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/660#post_3670755
I'm kind of underwhelmed by June titles...
As am I, as I've seen none of them. But that'll be OK, since May is gonna be so expensive for me. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Mark VH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/660#post_3670732
Not terribly surprised that Close-Up (1990) and Night Train to Munich (1940) are DVD-only releases for June, but I am somewhat surprised that Everlasting Moments (2008) is DVD only.
As for the actual Blu releases, those are three films I've yet to see, so it's hard for me to get excited about it. But I'll gladly check them out. I just hope The Red Shoes is on tap for July because I do really want that film.
Don't worry. It is.
And (responding to other sentiments), underwhelming my foot - Antonioni on Blu is cause for celebration.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
i love that the Red Desert cover is every bit as bland, vague and boring as all of Antonioni's films are.

criminal that a film as gorgeous as Everlasting Moments is not getting the bluray treatment it deserves.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Adam_S /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/660#post_3670906
i love that the Red Desert cover is every bit as bland, vague and boring as all of Antonioni's films are.
LOL! He made some of my favourite films!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks