1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Tarantino's production company just happens to be called A Band Apart and the French name of Godard's film is Bande a Part. Coincidence?

2. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

Martin Teller
    Obviously not a coincidence, Tarantino has on several occasions said as much, and often professes his love for Godard. Tarantino is basically Godard minus the politics, filtered through low-budget genre flicks (spaghetti westerns, chop socky, blaxploitation, et cetera).

3. Holer

Holer Stunt Coordinator

Joel
    My impression has been that he is more like the Coen Brothers, letting specific influences show from picture to picture. Pulp Fiction is his Godard film, Reservoir Dogs is his Ringo Lam film, Deathproof is his Roger Corman film, etc. But maybe, just as the Coen brothers have an overarching Preston Sturges influence in a lot of their pcitures, no matter who they might be specifically channeling, such is the case with Tarantino and Godard. It totally makes sense. Very interesting - thanks.

4. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Yeah, this StudioCanal thing is gonna really gash the Criterion Collection. In addition to those titles and previously OOP titles (Nights of Cabiria, Third Man), there are many more potential titles that StudioCanal control under current license to Criterion, including but not limited to:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
    Bid Deal on Madonna Street
    Diary of a Chambermaid
    Billy Liar
    That Obscure Object of Desire
    Bob le Flambeur
    Hopscotch
    Le cercle rouge
    Touchez pas au grisbi
    The Proud Valley / Native Land (from Paul Robeson box)
    Army of Shadows
    Last Year at Marienbad
    The Man Who Fell to Earth

I understand SudioCanal is trying to rebrand themselves to the collector market with the StudioCanal Collection, but it still hurts the Criterion fanboy in me.

6. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I'm of two minds on this. Criterion's transfers and presentations are consistently excellent and much more reliable than the stuff we've been getting from Studio Canal. On the other hand, I think a lot of titles that would never see the light of day on blu ray from Criterion will be released by Studio Canal via Lionsgate. And at prices that are much more attractive than Criterion's.

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    That's very true, Nick. For example, I'm anxious to read the reviews on The Ladykillers, which I doubt Criterion would have got to on Blu anytime soon even if they had a chance to release it.

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Well, it doesn't look if Studio Canal's pricing will be any better than Criterion's. So far, 3 titles (Ran, Contempt & Ladykillers) have been announced for the American market with a retail price of $39.95 each - The same price tier as Criterion Blu-ray's. A bulk of the Lionsgate blu-ray catalog titles retail for $19.95, so Studio Canal certainly aren't doing Lionsgate (our us) any favors with their twice as expensive catalog price tier. That being said, I've bought The Deer Hunter, The Elephant Man & Belle De Jour from Amazon UK, and all three have been quite impressive quality wise. From the reviews I've read, the only turkey from the first batch appears to be Ran. The Studio Canal Deer Hunter was an easy purchase (Cimino commentary, interviews, docs, etc;) and I'm willing to bet that the Universal blu-ray, when it arrives, will simply be a port of the HD-DVD (which does look stellar) with lossless audio properly included this time around.

9. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Wow didn't see all these deletions. I'm glad I picked up Pierrot le Fou and Last Year in Marienbad on Blu-ray for Christmas.

10. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

Criterion posted the following on their facebook page:
    The Criterion Collection Just an update on the soon-to-be-out of print StudioCanal titles—many are listed as sold out on our website due to the huge response from all of you, but they'll be back in stock soon, and we'll honor all orders placed through the end of March.

11. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    ^ That's good to know. Thanks!

By the way, StudioCanal France has already confirmed Grand Illusion is coming soon to BD, so you gotta figure the US release will likely be here by the end of the year.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The May titles have been announced: STAGECOACH, BY BRAKHAGE, M and one I've been waiting for, WALKABOUT.

13. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Fan-flippin-tastic!
    M and Stagecoach for me.

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Blimey. Extras for Stagecoach:
    * New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
    * Audio commentary by noted western authority Jim Kitses
    * Bucking Broadway (1917), a fifty-four-minute silent western by John Ford, with new music by Donald Sosin
    * Extensive video interview with Ford from 1968
    * New video interview with Dan Ford, biographer and grandson of the director, about Ford’s home movies
    * New video interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
    * New video essay by writer Tag Gallagher
    * New video feature about Monument Valley
    * New video interview with stunt coordinator Vic Armstrong about Stagecoach’s stuntman Yakima Canutt
    * Radio dramatization of Stagecoach from 1949
    * Theatrical trailer
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by David Cairns and the short story that inspired the film
    Seeing as I will now have to buy a MR BD player, this is going to be one expensive disc, but worth it.
    I'm assuming that the 'Extensive video interview with Ford from 1968' will be the one filmed by the BBC's Philip Jenkinson (available on Kinowelt's She Wore A Yellow Ribbon) which, besides being fascinating, is a real hoot.

15. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Guess I'll hang on to my SD DVD of Stagecoach for use in the classroom (and the commentary track that differs from the above list), but this will be a definite addition to my collection as a BD for my personal enjoyment.

16. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    This may be my most costly Criterion month ever. M and Stagecoach are definite purchases, while Brakhage and Walkabout are very tempting. I need to see Walkabout again, while I need to simply see more Brakhage to see if its worth it.

And then there's the Oshima's Outlaw Sixties Eclipse set, too. Wallet... aching...

17. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I'll buy M Stagecoach and Walkabout for sure. :D

18. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

I'll probably get Walkabout, but I won't get rid of the DVD, because my copy is signed by David Gulpilil.

19. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Definitely picking up Stagecoach. Can't wait.

20. felipenor

felipenor Stunt Coordinator

What are Criterion spines 509 to 511? I can't seem to find them.

http://www.criterion.com/library/dvd/criterion/all/expanded/sort_spine_number?page=23